Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After much haggling and deliberation between XDiavel, Diavel, 2014 and 2015 Multi's, I got a deal on a New 2014 Pikes Peak today. It's being shipped to me from Oregon, should have it in a week or so if I'm lucky. So I will hope for cold weekends where I woudl not have wanted to ride anyway :)

I'm going to read the lengthy "what did I do to my MS today" thread but meanwhile, any suggestions on things I need to consider right away?

This one has the stock pipe which I plan to keep. Old ears, tinutus issues and hearing loss. I presume the slip-ons and full pipes are much louder? Figure I'll stay stock there for now.

I would really like cruise control, preferably electronic, but at least mechanical. Is "tuneboy" the only electronic option?

What else should I consider?

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I've had a 16 multi for a few months now and really enjoy it. I don't have much advice for accessories but I can say I REALLY like the cruise control for the times I'm putting miles on the interstate. I did purchase a tank bag for my first trip on the bike and it came in handy. Recently purchased the Ducati tail bag and it is both practical and kinda' ugly.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just added an Altrider top luggage rack on my new 14 MTS touring since I don't have a top case. It provides a nice large flat foundation to secure cargo and is built to carry the Rotopax fuel cells.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Would like very much to see a photo of your tailbag.

I meant to say my usage is mostly around town, a few 20ish mile commutes. Don't really plan on much touring. But I will probably go on some shorter "day trips" with the local Ducati Owners Club. I already have a Givi Trecker case and I'll either make a mount for it myself or get the Givi mount (not crazy about it), cause I need to carry my laptop to work. That will be priority 1.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I've had a 16 multi for a few months now and really enjoy it. I don't have much advice for accessories but I can say I REALLY like the cruise control for the times I'm putting miles on the interstate. I did purchase a tank bag for my first trip on the bike and it came in handy. Recently purchased the Ducati tail bag and it is both practical and kinda' ugly.
The Ducati top case is huge, I'm going to assume that's what you were referring to when you said tail bag, bigger than necessary for commuting duty IMO, so I bought a Givi B33 top case to use for commuting. It looks less dorky yet it still holds everything I need on a daily basis.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congratulations! Buying the multistrada has been the most rewarding motorcycle purchase I've made.
For cruise I use throttle miester true it isn't as flexible as the tune boy stuff but as mechanical cruise goes I feel it is probably the nicest. The alt rider luggage rack is a nice piece for tying anything you may want on the back and it is pretty sleek looking to boot. That would be about it on my list, I would also count the spikes peak screen on the list as I feel it's the best compromise between buffet and comfort but you already have that. :grin2:
Hope this helps

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations! Buying the multistrada has been the most rewarding motorcycle purchase I've made.
For cruise I use throttle miester true it isn't as flexible as the tune boy stuff but as mechanical cruise goes I feel it is probably the nicest. The alt rider luggage rack is a nice piece for tying anything you may want on the back and it is pretty sleek looking to boot. That would be about it on my list, I would also count the spikes peak screen on the list as I feel it's the best compromise between buffet and comfort but you already have that. :grin2:
Hope this helps
Thanks. I was hoping the shorter shield would be better than the buffeting I experienced on the touring model I rode. I'm told the bike will come with a clear shield (stock accessory), I have high hopes for the shorter one. Hate that buffeting.

Will look into that CC, thanks.

That rack is the one I had in mind. I'm not carrying passengers, so I might even make my own and shift it forward some over the psngr seat.

Wondered about radiator guards? They seem pretty fragile, but don't want to cut airflow.

Thinking about bar risers but will wait for the bike and ride some first.

Will need a GPS an mount. Had a Zumo 660 but sold it not long ago. Have to remember that cheap place I bought it...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't really ride any rock roads so the radiator guard has not been a priority for me. I believe I'm read some where on this forum that it is good for another 10 -15 degrees operating temp.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Slip-ons only do virtually nothing. All the sound absorption is done by the standard cat/muffler box which weighs a ton.

If you go for just a Decat pipe only with the stock muffler you will probably hate the sound - box of rocks.
Going for a full system like a Termi, Arrow, Quat D, MIVV or Gianelli will be a much smoother exhaust note note.
And you will loose a substantial amount of weight in the process.
After all the trial and error I've made with the exhaust (plus the cost) I wish I'd just gone with a full system to begin with.

I would definitely recommend the Tuneboy to get the most out of the engine - package it with Cruise and Quickshift and you wont regret it - they are awesome additions.

Altrider Radiator Guard is a nice piece of gear - has stayed cool over a hot Australian summer this year and installs in seconds.

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
My top three mods would be.
1. Remap - But since yours is a DS model, it might not be quite as rough as the older single spark. Still worth a good look.
2. Öhlins SCU - not applicable to your bike
3. GPS mount - I put a cellphone holder on mine instead of a dedicated GPS, but to each his own.

GPS mount - Navihalter, the only way to go. Check classifieds or go through the German only website. Easy enough if you want one, and MAN is that mount ever worth it.
Navihalter Motorrad, Ducati Multistrada 1200, Mod. 2013 / 14 - navihalter.de

Cruise Control - Tuneboy
Only option. Just make sure you read the instructions about fifty times AND check all the install videos´. I´ve tried 5 times to install it on my -10 with no luck. Gave up up for a while. Might try again during spring.

If your riding in the dark,
consider changing the bulbs to Osram Nightbreaker unlimited H11 bulbs for just that amount of extra light. The highbeams will accept H9 65W bulbs with some slight modifications, but the H11 nightbreakers are a drop in and forget modification. Does the PP come with the LED lowbeam like the GT? If it doesnt, order 4x the osrams.
Add som extra driving lights later if you want.

If you like being seen,
then the Custom LED taillight is a must. Also makes it possible to do without the stock turn signals.
2010-2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Blaster-X Integrated LED Tail Light ? Custom LED

Absolutly positivly go for a topbox. Dead useful stuff that. Not very lovely to look at, but I use it every ride.

Reactions: shorton

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congrats! I used to work at the shop where you bought that from, they do a top notch job with out-of-state shipping. It's still hard to believe that there are leftover Pikes Peak editions! :surprise:

·
Registered
982 Posts
The farkling for the MTS is about endless.

I'm a big fan of heated grips. While not the cheapest option, the Ducati OEM heated grip kit is a slick little application.

Mine sees a bit of dirt, so I opted for a suite of protective pieces from AltRider. Likewise, the various crash bars available are a great addition for peace of mind. +1 for the AltRider luggage rack. The rack has pre-drilled holes to mount a RotoPax can, which is nice.

For convenience, I really like my keyless gas cap from Ducati as it keeps me from having to fish out the key from my pocket. LIkewise, a tank ring tank bag from Givi is a nice, clean addition to hold things you need on a ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The farkling for the MTS is about endless.

I'm a big fan of heated grips. While not the cheapest option, the Ducati OEM heated grip kit is a slick little application.

Mine sees a bit of dirt, so I opted for a suite of protective pieces from AltRider. Likewise, the various crash bars available are a great addition for peace of mind. +1 for the AltRider luggage rack. The rack has pre-drilled holes to mount a RotoPax can, which is nice.

For convenience, I really like my keyless gas cap from Ducati as it keeps me from having to fish out the key from my pocket. LIkewise, a tank ring tank bag from Givi is a nice, clean addition to hold things you need on a ride.
I had to lookup "farkle" LOL. New word for today :) Nice looking setup..

Attachments

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
*A radiator guard is a useful and smart addition. The least obtrusive (and probably least expensive) is the Cox which comes with an oil cooler guard as well. They have no effect on airflow, work well in Nashville's steamy clime ;).

*I think heated grips are a real plus, but the official Ducati grips are expensive. However, all the switching and harnessing is already there, making them the best alternative if not the cheapest. You will need a dealer to activate them via software once they are installed.

*Personally, I like having a center stand for routine service, but we've already discussed that.

* Throttlemeister is the simplest solution if you just want to scratch your nose or get something out of your pocket while riding, but it is not technically a cruise control. But if all your use is going to be for day riding, it will probably do just fine.

After that, you should organize your own priorities. You may find that the PP comes with everything you really need. By the way, since your bike is a 2014 with the Sachs Skyhook, the Ohlins accessory SCU will prove useless to you.>:)

I agree that for lots of people, the stock mapping (of the 2014) and standard exhaust are just fine. A slip on only serves a cosmetic function and most aftermarket full systems are more noise and fury than performance unless you go big with a full tune and Tuneboy.

The rest is personal, with one man's meat being another's poison. Save your money until your real and individual wants become clear.

Big congratulations, by the way. A good choice that coincidently would also have been mine!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I've got a 13MTS GT and found the Termi full exhaust to be worthwhile. The DS motor is great as delivered but it gets better with the upmap and loosing all the weight and heat (on rear master cylinder) of the catalytic converter.

t_bare

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got a 13MTS GT and found the Termi full exhaust to be worthwhile. The DS motor is great as delivered but it gets better with the upmap and loosing all the weight and heat (on rear master cylinder) of the catalytic converter.

t_bare
I think this will be down on my list, I'd have to hear one first. I like the idea of getting rid of the CC, but not the noise. I'll probably have all the performance I need, we'll see. Isn't it a lot louder?

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts

t_bare
That's all true, the Termi being one of the few complete systems (and possibly the only one) supplied with a map. But that system is $2500 plus installation which can run another $500 if you don't do it yourself. And although it is a nice sounding system, it is also louder and more importantly it deletes the emissions controls mandated in this and other countries.

People on motorcycle fora don't ever seem to be too concerned with emissions, but that doesn't mean it's not an issue for some of us who prefer a technically legal solution. One gets to weight this stuff against the reported but unsubstantiated marginal increases in fuel economy and frankly minimal benefits in terms of raw performance.

For some, the tone and feel of the Termi may be all that is needed to justify purchase, and more power to them. For others, the addition of 15 to 20% to the total cost of the machine for very marginal results, some with unintended negative consequences, isn't worth it. I'm not saying an exhaust system isn't neat and fun. I'm just saying it's not a universal application that is going to make everybody happy and I will argue that it can't be justified in respect to cost/benefit, especially as regards fuel burn.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a '14 pikes peak, congrats on your purchase. Here's what I enjoy on mine:

Alaska sheepskins seat cover - looks fuzzy but comfortable as hell for long trips. Minimal seat height increase, if that's an issue for you.

Garmin Zumo 590LM with the TPMS caps, and a gadgetguy mount on the handlebar center - great GPS, and I love the TPMS readout. Protip for the front TPMS cap - turn the front valvestem inward a little so the TPMS cap will clear the front caliper - do a test roll of the wheel to make sure it isn't hitting (guess how I found this out).

Ducati topcase mount and case - I got mine in red, but the basic black should work for ya. Best sport touring mod ever.

A windscreen for long freeway/touring miles - The PP screen is pretty good for local riding / short sport tour rides, but if you're going to do long miles at freeway speeds, get a larger screen that you can hide behind. The Multi GT screen is ok but not great, the stock clear one is not great. Givi makes a good one, and Puig has a new one(?).

Centerstand - Makes cleaning / lubing / adjusting the chain a snap, and good for parking on unsteady surfaces.

42T rear sprocket - gives a tiny bit more grunt in acceleration and tightens up the tall gearing, without really affecting freeway cruising or MPG

A throttlemeister or throttle lock for cruise control should work ok, unless you want to get into tuneboy/tuning/exhaust money. Stock exhaust and map works fine IMHO, but I don't really buy into the engine tweaks/exhaust/weight reduction stuff for this kind of bike - the full termi sounds pretty good, but it's loud and this bike won't ever sound like a panigale because of the top end design. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
The first thing that went on my '14 PP was the GPS mount. I put it on in the dealer's parking lot. Normally, I'd have waited until later when I got home, but that was to be 2-3 weeks and 4500 miles later.

I had the dealer add several items to my PP before I even saw it:
Touring model Panniers (not the ultra wide Gran Tourismo panniers)
Top Case
heated grips
touring windscreen

I later added 30mm risers and a Kaoko throttle lock.

I've swapped out to a full Arrow exhaust. It removes the huge can on the belly of the bike, massively reducing heat and weight. Noise is minimal. I wear earplugs like all motorcyclists should anyways. But seriously, it's not that loud (it's ECE approved - Euro regulations). It sounds much better, too and is 1/3 the cost of the Termi, which doesn't sound any better IMO. Removal of the giant heat sink on the belly seems to have helped keep the rear brake line cooler, which translates to less brake bleeding.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts