Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ciao a tutti -

cleaned the BMC air filter on the hypertard for the second time since installed ... i had forgotten what a pita it is, even with lifting the fuel tank as far up as it will go without removing it. i imagine anyone watching this process would be reminded of a monkey f'ing a football, from all the strange contortions one must make to remove the bolts that hold the airbox lid on ... then tighten them up when finished.

also took this time to wrap the wiring that runs under the tank strap, so that no damage occurs from vibration and chaffing when riding. so ... even if you don't have the ca-cycleworks tank installed, the stock tank to tank strap fit will still allow chaffing of these wires to occur.

two other items i addressed during this mini service:
  • i reapplied anti-seize to the airbox lid bolts. i did this last time, and the bolts stayed tight, and came out easily, not stripping/pulling the inserts in the fuel tank.
  • i re-routed the diagnostic data-port plug that hides under the right side tank cover, so that it now hides behind the right side tank cover's inner black plastic cover. now, to get to the diagnostic data-port plug, i only need to loosen the three quick release plastic screws and remove the black cover. i got this tip/idea from billy ... grazie billy!

ciao a tutti,
johnc

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
John, you might want to think about ditching the airbox, and get some velocity stacks and pod filters with outerwear water repellant covers. You won't have to clean your filters for a long time.

ciao a tutti -

cleaned the BMC air filter on the hypertard for the second time since installed ... i had forgotten what a pita it is, even with lifting the fuel tank as far up as it will go without removing it. i imagine anyone watching this process would be reminded of a monkey f'ing a football, from all the strange contortions one must make to remove the bolts that hold the airbox lid on ... then tighten them up when finished.

also took this time to wrap the wiring that runs under the tank strap, so that no damage occurs from vibration and chaffing when riding. so ... even if you don't have the ca-cycleworks tank installed, the stock tank to tank strap fit will still allow chaffing of these wires to occur.

two other items i addressed during this mini service:
  • i reapplied anti-seize to the airbox lid bolts. i did this last time, and the bolts stayed tight, and came out easily, not stripping/pulling the inserts in the fuel tank.
  • i re-routed the diagnostic data-port plug that hides under the right side tank cover, so that it now hides behind the right side tank cover's inner black plastic cover. now, to get to the diagnostic data-port plug, i only need to loosen the three quick release plastic screws and remove the black cover. i got this tip/idea from billy ... grazie billy!

ciao a tutti,
johnc

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yeah, not a fan of the filter change or my BMC filter. I see the Ducshop has their Hyper Stacks on sale for $275 and they include the case breather filter and the small air purge filter so I think it is time to get rid of the airbox.

Peter do know how the Ducshop filters compare to your Beast R's?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was going to post a question about the filters but after looking at sick50fords avitar for the last 10 minutes I forgot what to post.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
I was going to post a question about the filters but after looking at sick50fords avitar for the last 10 minutes I forgot what to post.
She has some nice velocity stacks!

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Yeah, not a fan of the filter change or my BMC filter. I see the Ducshop has their Hyper Stacks on sale for $275 and they include the case breather filter and the small air purge filter so I think it is time to get rid of the airbox.

Peter do know how the Ducshop filters compare to your Beast R's?
Good price from the Ducshop! Don't know for sure what the physical differences are but the power gain shown on the ducshop dyno charts are similar to the gains I received with the Beast R. Don't think you could go wrong with either. Get the Outerwear prefilters too.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ciao chris -

checking/cleaning the BMC air filter every 6k mile so far. dirt on the filter was marginal ... small, brown dust particles were all that was there each time.

what mileage interval are you cleaning? how dirty has the filter been getting riding around the bay? thanks

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John, you might want to think about ditching the airbox, and get some velocity stacks and pod filters with outerwear water repellant covers. You won't have to clean your filters for a long time.
peter ... if you actually rode your hypertard, you would have to clean the air filters:rolleyes:

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
peter ... if you actually rode your hypertard, you would have to clean the air filters:rolleyes:
Just trying to help a bro out. I also use the outerwear prefilter covers in my car, which is driven daily. 20k miles and the filter is still clean. The covers help keep the bugs and other debris off the filter pleats.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just trying to help a bro out. I also use the outerwear prefilter covers in my car, which is driven daily. 20k miles and the filter is still clean. The covers help keep the bugs and other debris off the filter pleats.
ciao peter -

i know ... just breaking your balls :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts