Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2003 SS1000DS to my Dealer yesterday to put it up for sale on consignment. I have found that I have no desire to ride the SS when the PS is sitting there.

I like the way the PS handles better, 1 1/2 " longer wheelbase and a little more rake just work so well for me.

I loved the SS and couldn't see parting with it until it became obvious that Ducati indeed made a better SuperSport.

Man I love this bike!!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a simular problem with my VFR but I am hoping the novelty will wear off.

The VFR fits me like a glove I went through many bikes until I found a bike as comfortable and all around capability as the VFR.

I had some concerns about the comfort level of the Sport Classic, Took a 2 1/2 hour ride the other day with total comfort nobody believes me that the sport classic can be that comfortable but man this bike fits as close to the VFR as any other bike.

The one thing saving the VFR is my 10 hour rides and rain, my goal is to keep the sport classic out of the rain, the fact that I commute on the VFR everyday rain or shine.

I may try the classic on a long weekend ride in the future

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dfox said:
The one thing saving the VFR is my 10 hour rides and rain, my goal is to keep the sport classic out of the rain, the fact that I commute on the VFR everyday rain or shine.

/QUOTE]

Fortunately the PS is my second bike and I ride a BMW GS for everyday communting, traveling, and such. Being 50, the PS isn't ever going to be transportation except to a road with curves in it.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
SScowboy said:
Fortunately the PS is my second bike and I ride a BMW GS for everyday communting, traveling, and such. Being 50, the PS isn't ever going to be transportation except to a road with curves in it.
My "other" bike is a GS! (And I'm 59!!)

I took the PS out today for 125 miles. I'm a little sore. :eek: (Maybe I'll raise my clip-on's.) But what a fantastic ride! :D

I'll keep the GS though. It's just too good. Easy around town . . . and easy on long trips.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dfox said:

I may try the classic on a long weekend ride in the future
Well here's an idea...why not take the Sport down the Blue Ridge to the US Desmo meet in Mt Airy at the beginning of May? I believe that's what I'm aiming to do! -Capt

·
Registered
108 Posts
geospencer said:
My "other" bike is a GS! (And I'm 59!!)

I took the PS out today for 125 miles. I'm a little sore. :eek: (Maybe I'll raise my clip-on's.) But what a fantastic ride! :D

I'll keep the GS though. It's just too good. Easy around town . . . and easy on long trips.
This is scary :abduct: , I to have a GS. And yes, at this point and time its just sitting there.

That will change this summer with my west to east coast ride,with a stop in FL and TX.

Laters
Nutt

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
ducnutt said:
This is scary :abduct: , I to have a GS.
It's not scary. It just shows that we have good taste in motorcycles. :D

My GS never sits too long. It's my go every were do anything bike. It's good around town. It's good on long trips. It handles better than you think. When the pavement quits I can keep on going. It has bags so that I can carry "stuff". And best of all - with gas going to $3.00+ per gallon - it gets about 45 !

(I got 39 mpg with the PS yesterday . . . . but I don't ride it for the gas mileage.)

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. SScowboy started this to tell us he was selling his SS1000DS . . . . . but then he did say that he had a GS for a second bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
-How 'bout 1500 or so miles of Southern hospitality?

Dfox said:
Capt

Sounds interesting

Since you are in York PA a stones throw from here, what is your traveling agenda?
Dfox,
Tentatively, I figure on leaving 5/4/06 and heading south, spending all of Sunday the 7th to return by early evening.

My thought is spend a day and a half on the road, arriving in Mt Airy Friday night. (I need to confirm later today that my Mother In-law will keep my kids for me for a couple of days, but I don't believe this is a show-stopper if she doesn't.)

Once I have that taken care of, first thing is plot a route, second is make reservations for the Mt Airy, Quality Inn (where the meet is), third is consider whether or not to pick a spot for the Thursday nite stop.

I know the Virginia's real well and have travelled all through the Southeast. Between here (PA) and Mt Airy is some of the most beautiful mountain riding I have ever seen anywhere in the US.

At it's shear simplest, we could pick-up Skyline Drive in Front Royal, VA., and ride that and then the Blue Ridge the whole way to the NC/TN/VA border. Or, we could cross the Shenadoah Valley and run the central part of WVA, exiting back into VA down somewhere between Blacksburg and Bristol. Then head east-southeast to our Friday nite meet. Or, we could............. :think:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like a great plan but my social coordinator informed me that we already have plans for that weekend, I am sure it won't be as exciting.

Have to find one that favors cycle weekends

·
Registered
98 Posts
DFox, You got to check out the Smokey Mountain region when you get a chance. Too bad things aren't working out for you that weekend.

I got my Dues for US Desmo in, and have my hotel reservation set for the Blue Ridge Meet, and leave SE PA on Thursday May 4. I'm expecting to log 1,500 miles over the 4 day period. The PS should be well broke-in and ready rumble by the time I'm through as I'll be leaving with about 1,000 miles on the clock.
Guess I 'll do my first oil change when I return with around 2,500 on her. (600 was done at the dealer.)
-Capt

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
SScowboy said:
......the PS isn't ever going to be transportation except to a road with curves in it......
Which means that you don't live in Texas. Curvy roads in this huge state are hard to find .... :mad: I never had these flat spot on my tires till I moved to the Houston area.
ducnutt said:
.... my west to east coast ride, with a stop in FL and TX.....
where in TX do you plan to stop? Swing by, eat some TX-BBQ or TexMex and tell big lies :) Can put you up for the night too
Not 50+, no GS, no PS. 45 only, MHe, JRT and R100R (Classic)
RonB

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mhe225 said:
Which means that you don't live in Texas. Curvy roads in this huge state are hard to find .... :mad: I never had these flat spot on my tires till I moved to the Houston area.
where in TX do you plan to stop? Swing by, eat some TX-BBQ or TexMex and tell big lies :) Can put you up for the night too
Not 50+, no GS, no PS. 45 only, MHe, JRT and R100R (Classic)
RonB
San Antonio :D !!!!!
Ever go to the hill country??? We lived in SA for 3 years and in that 3 years I put like 25,000 on my TLR and like 20,000 miles on my GS :) .

I am part of a club, Texas sport bike association "TSBA". A good bunch of people. They have chapters in all the big citys...EVEN IN HOUSTEN.
Any way,we would do close to 250 miles every Sunday,never had flat spots on my tires!!! Not even on the GS!!!

Laters
Nutt

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
ducnutt said:
....Ever go to the hill country??? .....
Few times per year only; these are always days of 600+ miles: ca 200 to get there, zipping around and 200 to get home. These last 200 are really hard. This year, I'm planning a weekend ride: leave Friday after work, have fun Saturday and half a day on Sunday, then home.
RonB

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mhe225 said:
RonB
I do live in Texas and within sight of my house I have many twisty roads, and within an hour ride any direction I have many more choices. I also trailer a sportbike with a buddy to North Carolina every year for a week, and I trailer to the Arkansas mountains for a week every September. I ride my GS 90% of the time though, the PS will be the new trailer qween to replace my SS, and fun rides from home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts