Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a carbon fiber tank guard on the 748S that extended from seat to key cutout...

It was fading badly so I decided to remove it. Damn is silicone caulk STRONG! Ended up peeling pieces of the CF off a little at a time. The very last piece pulled a chunk of paint off of the tank!! :mad:

Hopefully a new protector will cover it but I don't know. It's right at the left side of the top of where most CF protectors would sit.

What might it cost to repaint the tank?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Tank with decals done to factory...prolly 250-300 Next time to remove sticky things like that use dental floss and a ton of goof-off as you wiggle the floss behind the protector or whatever sticker you are trying to remove. I even use a heat gun or sit the part in the sun for awhile to warm up the adhesives.

·
Registered
0 Posts
when it comes to removing anything that is "stuck" on the heat gun is your friend.

as far as getting rid of the residue left behind goes; turtle wax tar & bug remover in the yellow spray can is the way to go, accept no substitutes! spray it on, let is sit for about 3-5 minutes and the nasty stuff just wipes right off.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
see if you can find someone who'll do it on the side for you.
My friend painted the fairings on my 748 for a dinner; dinner for him, his wife, and me totaled $90. I bought the paint and supplies.
He works at a body shop.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
If you decide not to fix it and just go w/ covering it up w/ another piece of CF make sure you at least prep the chip well, apply some clear coat touch up over it. If you don't in time the clear will start to lift off the edges and the chipped area w/ grow in size.
Also before you replace your old CF next time try some Meguairs "Scratch X' and pure carnauba wax. Just rub or better yet use a polishing wheel on an electric drill, apply the Meguiars on the CF. Buff off, wax and buff off. Should bring the clear coat back to a new finish.
Also WD40 works well to remove adhesives too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts