Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm usually hanging around the Streetfighter and 1098 area, but I recently picked up a '73 Sport. It's quite clean and runs very well, but I know it has some things that aren't quite original, so I'm just looking for input on what's wrong.

I know it has electronic ignition and the front brake master cylinder is a late model, but I have the original parts and also a spare fuel tank. What is a tank worth?

Lastly, I paid $23,000 for the bike. I'm hoping it's worth it and I think eventually it will be if it's not now. But I bought it to help out a friend and because it really is exceptionally clean.

If anyone knows the bike or recognizes it, I'd love to hear all the info you've got. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
I love the bike,It's a beauty! only thing I don't care for is the white number plates on the seat. Back in 1973 I wanted a new 750ss, the dealer told me,they're impossible to get, but he would sell me a 750 sport, stupid thing now, but I didn't like the mat black engine covers, and said no. wished a million times I'd said yes, 1700.00$ for it would have worth it! Capt Paul

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love the bike,It's a beauty! only thing I don't care for is the white number plates on the seat. Back in 1973 I wanted a new 750ss, the dealer told me,they're impossible to get, but he would sell me a 750 sport, stupid thing now, but I didn't like the mat black engine covers, and said no. wished a million times I'd said yes, 1700.00$ for it would have worth it! Capt Paul
Yes, I do know the white numberplate is incorrect and will have it painted to yellow. Not sure why that ended up there.

And yes, oh my Lord yes, a 750SS for $1700 would have certainly been nice!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Very nice Sport. I too had one years ago and it was quite a weapon on the Crest. Who did you buy the bike from ? RK ??

Yeah, you paid a good price for the bike and if it is solid then it is worth the money. If you don't have the Ian Falloon Restoration Guide for Bevel Twins then get one. It is out of print but you can find a nice one on the Amazon book search. Well worth the $90 or so that they now go for. Well worth it for learning all of the critical details of your bike. The data alone is awesome.

But leave the white plate where it is. Fuck the purists. My bike was candy purple.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice Sport. I too had one years ago and it was quite a weapon on the Crest. Who did you buy the bike from ? RK ??

Yeah, you paid a good price for the bike and if it is solid then it is worth the money. If you don't have the Ian Falloon Restoration Guide for Bevel Twins then get one. It is out of print but you can find a nice one on the Amazon book search. Well worth the $90 or so that they now go for. Well worth it for learning all of the critical details of your bike. The data alone is awesome.

But leave the white plate where it is. Fuck the purists. My bike was candy purple.
Not sure who RK is, but I don't think so since the fellow I got it from's initials aren't RK.

Yeah I ordered the book actually before I bought the bike. But my friend wanted to get the transaction over with, so I just took it. I'm curious as hell to sit down with the book and the bike and go over things. I already checked and the frame and engine numbers are correct for a '73 and in a registry of sorts that I found on bevelheads.

Haha, I'm not real keen on the white number plate anyway But don't worry, I certainly wouldn't change it just because someone else wanted me to. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
750 sport

I didn't say a 750ss was 1700.00$ they were a lot more, but I could have had a left over GT for 1350.00, but I could have got a sport for 1700.00$ back then.
years later I ordered a hailwood, waited 5 months and gave up,second mistake of my life.I won't say what I bought instead! Capt Paul

·
Registered
188 Posts
Here is my Dad's unrestored 73' 750 Sport for some refrence photos.

Everything is as it was in 73' except the rear shocks, and air filters.

As for yours is a beautiful bike. Is ita fiberglass tank fitted, becasue I dont know about the USA market bikes, but i'm nearly certain that all 73' Sports had fiberglass tanks, though maybe your design rules didnt permit for any glass tanks???

If you need any info or more pics, just PM.

MF

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is my Dad's unrestored 73' 750 Sport for some refrence photos.

Everything is as it was in 73' except the rear shocks, and air filters.

As for yours is a beautiful bike. Is ita fiberglass tank fitted, becasue I dont know about the USA market bikes, but i'm nearly certain that all 73' Sports had fiberglass tanks, though maybe your design rules didnt permit for any glass tanks???

If you need any info or more pics, just PM.

MF
Thanks for the pics, those are pretty handy. Can you get me a close up of the side cover emblem when you get a chance? Mine do not have any black paint on them, but all of them I see do, so I must need it.

Yes, my tank is fiberglass, so I think it must be right. It also came with a spare fiberglass tank...I wonder what they are worth?

Thanks again for the pictures. I'm going to try to get the bike as close to original as possible, so original bike photos certainly help!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
DON"T PUT ANY MODERN FUEL IN IT!!!!! The gas you get will melt the fiberglass! It needs to be coated with an ethanol resistant epoxy.Caswell and I think POR15 sell kits to do it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DON"T PUT ANY MODERN FUEL IN IT!!!!! The gas you get will melt the fiberglass! It needs to be coated with an ethanol resistant epoxy.Caswell and I think POR15 sell kits to do it.
Well, it's a little late for that. But I think the tank is lined because the bike had been sitting about a year with around a gallon of gas in it. Then last night I put about 3 gallons in it and it seems OK. Does the gas eat through quickly or over an extended time? Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Super Nice! sometimes it's almost better to pay the money and have one already completed..plus you helped out a friend...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turns out the tank on the bike is metal and the spare that came with it is fiberglass, so I'm safe.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone have any recommendations for parts for the 750? Side cover badges specifically. And some other odds and ends I need.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not sure if this will be helpful but here you go - http://www.michaelsmotorcycles.com/1974DUCATIsport809.htm

I'm not a bevelhead expert by any means but it seems like this is original / unrestored and good as a reference point. Considering that this one is unsaleable at any price, $23k is a steal! Also look through their sold section - lots of nice bevelheads there too.

Congrats by the way, I'm certainly jealous. I certainly would get one if I had the $ - had to settle for a Sport 1000 instead.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Very nice! Makes me come over all nostalgic.. I had that exact model, actually the first one in South Australia, although it was owned briefly by Malcolm Pitman before me. Pitmans were the dealer for Ducati at that time; Malcolm went on to fettle GP bikes for the likes of Garry McCoy. I had a love affair with that bike, and two serious accidents.
The front brakes on that model were by Scarab, and the original master cylinder is probably no longer available. The master cylinders gave trouble anyway - a Brembo may be the best idea. As for the electronic ignition; the original points ignition let an otherwise great bike down, so I would keep the electronic set-up. The sidecover badges were chromed plastic, with black shading, with a red and white 'Sport' transfer on the lower bar. Those stickers used to wear off as the 1970s flaired jeans used to flap against them..:rolleyes:

·
Bon Vivant
11,112 Posts
you can't really gauge much by the prices asked from Michaels motorcycles...
He's usually about 50% higher than the current market for anything he has.

In this case he just has one he doesn't want to sell. It's a little too rough in my eyes to be left as an untouched example.
I may not restore it but I'd probably tear it apart and clean it up real good.

I think collectors these day are a little over the top with their idea of patina and a correct bike.
-they didn't come from the factory with dingy corrosion...

BTW K1W1, maybe we could get our Hailwoods out for a ride sometime?

·
Registered
245 Posts
you can't really gauge much by the prices asked from Michaels motorcycles...
He's usually about 50% higher than the current market for anything he has.

In this case he just has one he doesn't want to sell. It's a little too rough in my eyes to be left as an untouched example.
I may not restore it but I'd probably tear it apart and clean it up real good.

I think collectors these day are a little over the top with their idea of patina and a correct bike.
-they didn't come from the factory with dingy corrosion...

BTW K1W1, maybe we could get our Hailwoods out for a ride sometime?
Good to know about Micheals - I've perused the website from time to time and have always drooled over the inventory.

The gig is up... sorry, the Hailwood and Indian pic is a result of close up photography

I do however have an 06 SC

1 - 20 of 53 Posts