Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang
Newby here but wanted to see if there were any forums for this model.
I have just bought my first Duck, I actually build CB750 Cafe Racers for a living, but always wanted a ducati, and this is the retro style I dig.
Only had the bike a week, but a couple of issues I wanted to ask about.
I use Clubman bars on all my bikes, these clip ons on the 1000 are pretty uncomfortable on the left wrist, I think they have the angle wrong for the ride height.
The other issue I have is, the gauges rattle like Granma's ill fitting teeth when you get going, I know they are rubber mounted but i think I may have to make a bracket to stop them flapping about.
Anyone have this issue?
lastly, the rear tail light and turn signal set up is ugly, anyone make an affordable substitute?

The rest of the bike I dig but may make some Aluminum timing belt covers as the Black plastic ones look cheaply made.
Peace and Grease
carpy

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
get use to the rattaling ,its a ducati,I myself just got off my 75 750 s/s for the duc and a world of diffrent riding,30 some years of tecknology diffrence,youll adjust to the world of more refined riding.welcome abored.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Welcome and congrats, Clip-ons are a biatche, lots of threads on bar mods.
All kinds of replacement belt covers and some mods for tail light kits..
Search SC "tail light" "belt covers"

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I like the black, congratulations.

The S model is uncomfortable, you just need to get used to it and it takes core strength to hold your body off your hands.

I don't even look at my gauges anymore.

Here is my tail clean up.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responce.

Thanks for the replies, i usually build cafe Racers and I liked the Retro look of the Duck.

I shall see if there are some cool rear light set ups on my 1000S later as the plastic ones are not my cup of tea and I am a limey remember.
Thanks for all the kind words.

Hope to meet you lot at some point.
Peace and Grease
CARPY

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Nice looking chopped/cafe's brother; here is my SC with speedymoto belt pulley covers

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Hey Carpy, I'm very familiar with your website, been drooling over the cafe bikes, and sure from your work you will have no trouble sorting out the Sport.

RE: gauge vibrations - The bike will lug pretty bad on the throttle at low RPM (under 3500/4000), and this is exagerated with the tall stock gearing, and/or poor tuning. Most popular mod is to put a 14t front sprocket (one tooth smaller) or go up in the rear a couple teeth, or both. This really smooths out the low end on take offs, etc. Having the fueling set up properly - balancing the throttle bodies, making sure the air bleeds and throttle position sensor are set, etc., also helps smooth it out at low RPM.

Have fun with it, very interested to see what you come up with for this bike.

·
Mr. Excitement
233 Posts
Carpy - welcome aboard.... I really like the black "S" model!

I made a minor adjustment to my "S" clip-ons that made a big difference: I removed the locator pins and spacers, raised 'em up to the bottom of the upper triple, and pulled the bars back just a bit with minor adjustment to the steering stops. The procedure (and other fixes) are described in greater detail if you do a search on the forum. I get along just fine with 'em now.

Not sure what's going on with your gauges... have not encountered that problem. Tail fix? The Wasp has a great looking and quality product for you.

Thanks for posting up the photos. I'll look you up next time I'm in SoCal.

RpM

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Those are some serious cafe bikes. Nice job. Like dietrich said, do the gears first. Keeps the revs high, and you won't care about the gauges. I never look at them unless I see a cop. Bars are pretty uncomfortable on the s. Not many choices, but you can move them to your liking. If you have locator pins on your bike you can remove or cut. Mine did not have locator pins. I put grippy stuff on my tank so I could grab it with my knees. That helped a bunch. Other than that, you will get used to the riding position.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Carpy,

Nice! I too have spent much time drooling over your work online, being as I rode a couple different cafe'd out Honda's before the Duc. Search the forum and you'll find almost endless possibilities for the tail-chop, etc. Welcome aboard man!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Theres a neat tail bracket that'll bolt straight on from here
http://www.dpcars.net/
Here it is on mine

I also found that fitting an oversize clutch slave cylinder helped alleviate the strain on my clutch hand and made the bike a lot more comfortable to ride,even with the low clip ons.
I'll also vote for the 14tooth front sprocket, I've done that to every Ducati I've owned.

Given what you do for a living I'll be interested to see what you do with your SC.:)

Heres a couple of instant options for your belt covers
http://www.motostrano.com/ridubeco.html
http://www.durrisdesign.com/parts10.html

·
Registered
93 Posts
Welcome to the family Carpy. It's a pleasure having you here as I know the type of work you do on the Honda 750 class... Your work is top notch.
I actually started on a Honda 750 myself after falling in love with the Cafe Racer scene.

Regarding your questions, just do a quick search on the forum and youll'e get a ton of answers....

Here is a pic of my 750 Cafe and Sport 1000

Carlos

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey Carpy,
Welcome aboard, that black looks sweet. I'll be interested to see what you come up with, I'm not to hot on the options out there. Trying to stay old school, no anodizing, just raw finish or polishing. For know i've just removed the plastic fender and moved the plate up. When I get the time i'll shorten the metal tube, cut the tail light lense bottom open and fill with clear to illuminate the license and move the plate the plate up higher. I'm always on the lookout for an older style metal tail light assembly that will look good and fit the era. No modern LED's here. I've left my bars in their low stock position. I keep telling myself that raising them would be giving in to old age ( 45 trying to stay 28 :D).

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've drooled over your 750s for a while now. Nice, inspired work. I've actually been toying with putting one of those fancy headlamps you have on my Duc.

The riding position takes a bit of time to get used to, you'll figure it out and it'll get more comfortable. Either that or I'm sure you'll mod it to your liking. As far as the shaking, this might be due to the fact that it's lugging at lower RPMs with the stock front sprocket. Swap it out to a 14 tooth and it'll become much nicer and you'll have less vibe at lower RPMs. Of course it is a 1000 cc L-Twin...there will be some thumpage with that engine.

Can't wait to see what you do with your Duc.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hey Gang
Newby here but wanted to see if there were any forums for this model.
I have just bought my first Duck, I actually build CB750 Cafe Racers for a living, but always wanted a ducati, and this is the retro style I dig.
Only had the bike a week, but a couple of issues I wanted to ask about.
I use Clubman bars on all my bikes, these clip ons on the 1000 are pretty uncomfortable on the left wrist, I think they have the angle wrong for the ride height.
The other issue I have is, the gauges rattle like Granma's ill fitting teeth when you get going, I know they are rubber mounted but i think I may have to make a bracket to stop them flapping about.
Anyone have this issue?
lastly, the rear tail light and turn signal set up is ugly, anyone make an affordable substitute?

The rest of the bike I dig but may make some Aluminum timing belt covers as the Black plastic ones look cheaply made.
Peace and Grease
carpy

Saw you Motorcyclist magazine. You make some fantastic customs. Say hello to Green Day members and congrats on the Ducati. I'm looking forward to your take on these bikes and what you'd do to make it better.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Allow me to repeat what's already been said by many: welcome Carpy. I saw the screen name and started :think: You answered my question a few words later. I have been to your website more than once. Love the 750-CR's and the smaller ones you have done even better. Still keeping my eye out for a 400/4 CR ......

RonB

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah thats a great looking bike. I got a GT1000 due to the comfort issue of the Sports. But I have always liked the looks of the Sports; they are gorgeous bikes to look at. I'd recommend the Zard exhaust for them, too. That exhaust is a piece of artwork. I have a 1098 and the ergos on that put weight on the front end as well. I always read people say "core strength" but never really got it. Now I get it. Relax your arms and loosen your grip up a lot, you will grip the tank and take the weight off the bars which helps the front end suspension respond better, too. Keeps your wrists from breaking off, too. Not to mention helps with the abs.....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts