Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have lurked here for a while imagining the wonderful day that I would purchase my own SC1000. Well that day came last Friday when I flew to Seattle to pick up a 06 1000 with 600 miles on it to ride it back to Northern California. (The gentleman I bought it from was most pleasant and mentioned he is a member here, although I don't know his username.) Unfortunately, I misjudged an onramp in Oregon on the way home and low-sided my poor new bike right under a guard rail. Obviously I am quite devastated...

Anyway, I'm on a mission now to put it back to lovely again, and I'm hoping some of you can help. Here's what I know I need to buy so far, probably will add more once my mechanic looks at it:

06 clip-ons (both sides)
brake levers (both sides)
stock mirrors (both sides)
monoposto seat
instrument cluster (mounts snapped off and from what I've been told you can't just buy the plastic housing alone and use the same gauges that still work fine!? :mad:)
2 stock blinkers
swingarm (only has minor scratches but I'd buy one if someone has one sitting around!)

Thanks very much for your consideration...I almost had a nervous breakdown looking at my new baby lying sideways in a ditch a couple nights ago.

But ever onward and upward! :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
:(

I can only imagine the hurt

Just to open the discussion, are you intent on putting it completely back to stock, or are alternate parts OK?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
do you have it insured? are you sitting down? your bike is most likely "totaled"

ramming a bike under a guard rail may have done some frame damage. I know you are excited, in a bad way, to get this thing back together. The truth is that your steering stops are most likely bent. Insurance will "total" a bike with bent stops. Some guys just rebuild and ignore the bent stop. You would need to talk to one of them about the risks. I wouldn't take it without having a professional give you some advise about the frame.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Bummer Bud.

Hope it all works out for you. Like Papa said check on your insurance first. Collect and go get another one.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
per what papawheelie said, there is a risk your insurance will total a bike with bent steering stops. not to mention the rest of the frame... but if that's ok, then it's silly to total a bike for steering-stops in my opinion.

I low-sided mine last october, and the stops were bent, so I took it to a shop to get the stops fixed for less than $100 and you would have never known, then I claimed my insurance who cut me a nice $6400 check. and with that I fixed and improved my bike in a big way... the thing to remember is that OEM parts are usually way more expensive than the after market stuff you're always dreaming to put on there...

so if I were you I would just go with your insurance. Just don't take a risk and fix the steering-tops before they inspect it.

good luck, and really sorry to hear about your trouble. that's a major bummer.

best,
D.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Wow, what a sad story.

If you had enough foresight to get insurance on the bike, before even taking posession of it, that was really good of you. I hope that is the case, so at least you have some money to work through out whatever you choose to do. But if you did not, then it is an even sadder tale.

I do agree the bike is probably totaled, so the first decision is if you want a salvage title attached to it. Then again, if you have no insurance, I do not know if there is anyone that actually can say the bike is totalled. So it seems to me that you are free to fixe the bike, but of course you should still disclose that the bike was in a crash if you ever sell the bike.

I do not know, but people say one of the nice things about the Ducati is the trellis frame, because a good frame shop/welder, can easily repair the tubular steel, unlike a cast aluminum frmae on the typical sportbike. I think on the northern Cal forum, BARF, you can find a frame shop to check out the bike.

Anyway, you are from northern California? I am in the Bay Area. PM me, as I do have the stock mrrors and levers, and the seat (with a scratch on it).

·
Registered
309 Posts
All I have to contribute are some sayings. Wish I had more, but:
- All the best bikes are custom,
- and fortune favors the bold.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:(

I can only imagine the hurt

Just to open the discussion, are you intent on putting it completely back to stock, or are alternate parts OK?
No, alternate parts are fine. I will consider (and likely purchase) anything and everything.

And...in one of the most foolish maneuvers of my young life, I neglected to insure the bike before I left Seattle. :( Learn the hard way, huh? So yes, I'm sure if I was doing this through insurance, it probably would be totaled. Fortunately, a very good friend's father-in-law is Service Manager at the local BMW/Duc dealership and is going to check out the bike for me asap in his off-time and let me know. My friend says this guy really just loves working on bikes and might do a lot of the labor for me, just for kicks. :cool:

I had a guy at a dealership take a quick look at it on the way home (while it was in a trailer) and he said first impressions were the forks looked straight and he couldn't detect damage to the frame from a cursory inspection. But even if one of the stops are bent, I will probably just get it bent back and move on. Sort of a ridiculous reason to total a frame anyway, IMO.

So basically it's all on me to get the bike back to where my heart doesn't break while looking at it. And of course I would disclose the accident to a future buyer. Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's most appreciated right now! :eek:

- All the best bikes are custom,
- and fortune favors the bold.
Ha! Thank you for presenting some much needed silver lining... :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, I forgot to add:

I was not injured in the accident, so that is the best news of all. A few scrapes and bruises, but fortunately my brand new Scorpion EXO-700 took the brunt of the guard rail and all I felt/heard was a loud *pop!*

So I live on to conquer another day. As devastating as this was, that is the only outcome that really matters.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
sounds like you are in good hands with the bmw/duc shop. too bad about the insurance. I'm sure they won't steer you wrong at the shop. I'm thinking custom paint. Maybe a tricolor. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
309 Posts
So ... I guess the forum has a kid now :)

Three men and a baby? Pff ... Try a whole forum and a Ducati.

I'll be looking forward to the first steps.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
And...in one of the most foolish maneuvers of my young life, I neglected to insure the bike before I left Seattle. :( Learn the hard way, huh?
Just out of curiosity - not meaning to give you a hard time - how in the world did you ride off on a bike without any insurance? :confused: In North Carolina you need to have a tag and without insurance you don't get a tag . . . even a temporary tag.

By the way, you're probably not the first person to dump a bike on the way home.

I agree with slowerthan. From what I've heard, a Ducati frame is much easier to work on than an aluminum frame on the typical sportbike. I sometimes wonder if insurance agents see bent steering tabs and automatically total a bike . . . . not realizing that a Ducati trellis frame can be worked on.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Glad you're okay.

This motley crew probably has enough stock and aftermarket parts among us to build a few new bikes, so make a list and post it here, I am sure we'll come up with everything you need, cheap.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sounds like you are in good hands with the bmw/duc shop. too bad about the insurance. I'm sure they won't steer you wrong at the shop. I'm thinking custom paint. Maybe a tricolor. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I've been going back and forth on the custom paint thing too. I suppose part of it will be if a body shop can touch up the tank without starting from scratch...I doubt it but none of the logo/stripe decals are scratched on the tank, so maybe it's a possibility??? One part of me wants to do something one-off and unique if I have to repaint the whole thing anyway, but another part of me just wants just to restore it to it's former glory... :think:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So ... I guess the forum has a kid now :)

Three men and a baby? Pff ... Try a whole forum and a Ducati.

I'll be looking forward to the first steps.
Haha, thanks man. I would post some pics of it's current state, but it's just too tragic to behold and I don't want to inflict that on you guys...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just out of curiosity - not meaning to give you a hard time - how in the world did you ride off on a bike without any insurance? :confused: In North Carolina you need to have a tag and without insurance you don't get a tag . . . even a temporary tag.

By the way, you're probably not the first person to dump a bike on the way home.

I agree with slowerthan. From what I've heard, a Ducati frame is much easier to work on than an aluminum frame on the typical sportbike. I sometimes wonder if insurance agents see bent steering tabs and automatically total a bike . . . . not realizing that a Ducati trellis frame can be worked on.
Well...I flew to Seattle and bought the bike from a private party. He didn't require insurance to sell the bike to me, so that was that. I knew my liability insurance for my old bike would cover a new purchase for 10 days, so I didn't even think of the possibility that something would happen that would be MY fault... :mad:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad you're okay.

This motley crew probably has enough stock and aftermarket parts among us to build a few new bikes, so make a list and post it here, I am sure we'll come up with everything you need, cheap.
Thank you so much man, this forum has already shocked me with your guys' generosity and willingness to help. This thread has given me new hope that my baby will be road worthy in no time...

Thanks again to all of you for your input and insight, and hopefully I can repay it to someone else on here in the future!

I will be updating the parts list in a day or two when I get the full lowdown from the my Duc guy...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Forgot to mention if anyone has some Termi 2-2's they want to unload (unlikely, I know), the ones currently on the bike look like velociraptor scratching posts. I don't know if I can stand to put stockers back on after a couple days of riding the Termis, but let me know what you have...

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Glad to hear your not injured, bikes are easier to fix than bodies and minds...Too bad on insurance, live and learn..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts