Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not knocking the pre 99 SS's. God knows I would be stoned to death here, but I constantly hear about how ugly the post 99 Ducs are. I think they both have merits, but whatever. I have noticed on Craigslist etc. that the Post 98, or 99 and up, are more rare and more expensive, and seem to be holding their value more.

Didnt used to be that way, but I think people now are starting to like the way the newer Supersports look with the mods etc.

Just noticed a steep drop in the prices of the "carbies".

Again, not trying to start a war, just glad to see the newer SS's seem to be holding value, and getting some recognition. Cause they are damn sexy when dressed up. ;)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I did prefer the "newer" 900 before I bought mine. I acutally went to the dealer w/ intent to buy a 2000, red w/ lots of carbon bling.....but then I saw my black one waiting in the corner!:)

I think we can attribute the pricing to the current state of our economy? No matter how bad it is....there is are still lots of people with the means to pay top dollar for a "clean" machine.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did prefer the "newer" 900 before I bought mine. I acutally went to the dealer w/ intent to buy a 2000, red w/ lots of carbon bling.....but then I saw my black one waiting in the corner!:)

I think we can attribute the pricing to the current state of our economy? No matter how bad it is....there is are still lots of people with the means to pay top dollar for a "clean" machine.
I agree, but the FI bikes are holding their price better it seems. That was my point.

·
Registered
168 Posts
But prices in USA seem to be VERY cheap for a Carby 900SS compared to here in Australia.
$6000 buys you a bad one, 8000 is about where the 1997-8 models hover.
earlier models seem to be demanding similair.
$10K for a very nice 1998 upwards 900SSie.
Parts here are also dear.
Then again, we seem to have plenty of 500cc 4 cil 2 strokes laying about, but again the Price for these bits of classic race replica's is rising FAST!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Many of the newer ones that are being sold still have delusional owners when it comes to what their bikes are worth. As we all know, there is a big difference between asking price and the price that the bike will actually sell for. It seems like alot of the newer ones have around here have zero miles--their owners bought them after ducati became the "cool" bike to own w/ the success of the 916. Now those same people are trying to recoup their "investment". There have been a couple on the CL in my area that have been listed forever--they always seem to mention ferrari in their ad......You think the owners would get a clue......

·
Registered
280 Posts
Could this have anything to do with the number of bikes made and/or their availability? I'm sure there's tons of SS experts on this site that would know the relative production numbers of pre and post 99 supersports.

And I suppose holding value is relative too. For what I paid for my bike, it sounds like I could sell it down under for a profit! :) Of course, I did buy it from a Yamaha dealership who probably just wanted it off of their sales floor. :think:

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I owned two SS/SP's and when I recently looked for a Supersport to go with my '02 Bayliss I bought an SS1000DS. Here's why....I liked the SS/SP style but the "newer" SS style grew on me. Neither design is a 998 but either style is much better than a Japanese sportbike IMHO. I wanted FI and I wanted the SS1000DS motor. Any SS is a wonderful all-arounder.

·
Registered
429 Posts
It also depends on location in the US. I'm in SoCal (the land of unused garage queens with now unemployed owners losing their too big home) I just bought this 1995 CR, showroom clean, super mint, only 3100 miles for $3000.00. Mint SP's are around $3500 to $4200, FE's are selling for around $4500 in SoCal.

Good 99+ 900SS's are selling (not asking) for $4.5-5.5K's tops. They'll be in the high 4's next year as unemployment/foreclosures rise here.

It's the difference between owners that actually NEED to sell vs., want to/feeling the market out.

I laugh when I see these high dollar postings sometimes for any Ducati (you know if it has the token Ferrari sticker it it'll be ignorantly high)!

The DEALS are on Monsters too. My buddy just bought a low mile clean S2R 800 for $4300.00.

Remember, we're getting to the point that the belt/valve/ full fluid service and a set of tires etc.. that most of these need are getting over 50% of the selling value of these bikes, prompting most non-mechanic owners getting disinterested in these garage trophy's.

Buyers market for enthusiasts and mechanics!

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
I owned two SS/SP's and when I recently looked for a Supersport to go with my '02 Bayliss I bought an SS1000DS. Here's why....I liked the SS/SP style but the "newer" SS style grew on me. Neither design is a 998 but either style is much better than a Japanese sportbike IMHO. I wanted FI and I wanted the SS1000DS motor. Any SS is a wonderful all-arounder.
I love my SS1000. I have been only riding for a few years now but it is exactly what I wanted - Full fairing superbike looks with an aircooled motor. When I started looking it was my heart wanted a superbike and my head kept saying Montster. So the SS spit the difference. My first was an SS800 but moved up a couple of years ago. My friend with an '03 999s actually liked the lowe RPM torque of mine better for the roads we ride on. Anyway, I'd still love a superbike - especially a 998.

·
Registered
168 Posts
As I indicated above;
Different market here!
As soon as a decent 900SS comes available it is sold it seems and all about the 8-12K Au$$.
No big foreclosures here, quiet the opposite, a big ramp up (demand for skiller labour on & off shore) for the Pluto-Gorgon gas field projects plus the Iron ore- Uranium minning operations.

·
Registered
429 Posts
But you're also dealing with a MUCH smaller "pool" of used bikes there in AUS.

Forgive my ignorance but I'd guess the ratio of Ducati bikes sold in AUS vs. all of N. America is 100 to 1 or more?

There are TONS of mid 90's Ducati's for sale at any given time in the US, in any city, real cheap.

Lets get a couple containers full of SS's, Monsters, and old Superbikes, ship them down there and retire!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ducati prices north of our border are also fairly high, if you can find one. We looked for about 4 months to find my wife's 95 900 CR. We found 3. Asking prices were: 9800 CAD for a 97 CR with 17,000 kms, 6500 CAD for a 93 900 SS unknown mileage, and 6250 CAD for a 95 900 CR with 21000 kms. We ended up buying the latter one for 5800 CAD. You Yanks should try to export some up here to the north.
Cstoner: I like your collection of 2 strokes, our supply here has dried up. Very hard to find and getting very expensive. The last ones I've seen advertized are: 86 NS400R for 9000 USD, 85 RZ500 12000 USD and a 86 RG500 for 25000 CAD!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not really sure what the reason is, and you guys have some good input (cept the delusional Ducati owners one:sleep:).

Personally, I think the style is a nice compromise to the newer sharper bikes. I am not hating on the older carbies, I just think that FI Ducatis round 5k in good shape seem to be holding their value.

As far as foreclosures, all bike are affected on all levels. Just think the look is becoming more favorable.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It is very much a styling issue, similar to when cars went from recessed headlights to flush, people like the newer look. Of course, wait another five years and odds are the FIs will see a similar decline. My '95 is almost 15 years old, a 2000, 10, and that can matter. All it will take is some radical new style to come out and people will clamor for it and forget the past. And as someone mentioned, what people put their bikes up for and what they get are two very different things, and people with slightly older bikes they are more likely to price their bike more reasonably. Most luxury brands are like this, just look at land rovers, most owners value them much higher than what they are actually worth.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The FI's are ugly, but they have the FI engine. A lot of people are intimidated by carbs. (I'm struggling with mine right now) Many don't want to mess with them. I love how my guzzi (only FI bike I have) just fires up, and goes. No cold morning starting issues or lean popping off idle ...

Folks forget that most of the younger riders today have never had a carb bike, and 99.99% have never heard of points.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The FI's are ugly, but they have the FI engine. A lot of people are intimidated by carbs. (I'm struggling with mine right now) Many don't want to mess with them. I love how my guzzi (only FI bike I have) just fires up, and goes. No cold morning starting issues or lean popping off idle ...

Folks forget that most of the younger riders today have never had a carb bike, and 99.99% have never heard of points.
No, the FIs aren't "ugly", no more than the older SSs look antiquated with their rectangular headlamp and flat, featureless fairing sides. Just one generation superceding another. For me, I'd like to see a new SS, one with a current superbike look, very lightweight and the air-cooled engine.

·
Registered
518 Posts

Everyone is intitled to his or her opinion but i think it's a matter of taste. I love my 99 900ss and I can't part with it. It's the best bike I have ever owned and the first Ducati. I get tons of compliments from bike and non bike enthusiest. As far as holding thier value i agree it does seem to have held steady over the past year or so.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Carbs are a pain in the rear. Frankly I would not have bought a carbed bike if Ducati Seattle wasn't 5 miles from my house. The market for pre-99 SS bikes is a specialty market. Its going to be folks that have some kind of dedication to Ducati history, and are willing to put up with their mechanical issues, and frankly have the money to support 'the habit'.

My previous bike was an 02 Monsters, and it was an entirely different ownership experience. Cold mornings, not an issue, just get on and go. Much more practical bike......if any Duc can be described as 'practical'...:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
The older 900's improved each year. That carries on with the newer ones. I love my 96sp, but realize the newer are much better bikes, thus more pleasant to live with. They're both Ducatis, that's what matters.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts