Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not against anybody/anything here. I don't think.

I picked up a '94 900 Monster a week and a half ago. Barn find...literally. No title/keys. It looks rough.
The guy who had it only had it for 2 years, and when he couldn't get it to idle/run, he quit fooling with it. He didn't have a chance, I'll explain why.

He got it from a guy who had it over 10 years, and was trying to build a "custom" bike or a cafe style. It had been apart and the frame painted, and a host of things removed or moved around. No fuel pump, no gauges, wiring harness replaced in a haphazard fashion. No key, just a toggle switch. Newer looking, clean carbs...hmmmm. Found the original carbs split apart in the box of spare parts. I wanted to get it running since the speedometer in "the box" was only showing 4429 miles. I want to part it out, but a complete engine is worth more than a pile of parts. Especially an early big valve model.

I got it running, and immediately found 3 small oil leaks. Fixed 2 right away, just missing copper washers from the cylinder oil drains. Hmmm
I'll get the other one later. Leaking around the starter nose where it enters the engine block. Hmm
But the engine sounds good! Kinda loud through gutted mufflers, but tight. I eyeball synced the carbs when I cleaned them, and they were still all stock. Fired it up, and had to raise the idle a little and it was good.

The alternator is good, but the reg/rect unit appears to be smoked. Probably from the hillbillies trying to jump it off of a running car.

I rode it down the road last night, just put 1 1/2 miles on it to verify the clutch and gearbox are good. They Are!!

I'll probably offer the good parts I don't want or need to the peeps on this board before it goes on ebay.

The guy who was responsible for all the owner induced vandalism on the bike never completed the paperwork for a title after he got the bike 15 years ago at a Repo Auction. He needs all his tools taken away, and a couple fingers broken on each hand. :mad:

It pains me to have to put a good horse down due to human stupidity, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yeah, I'm with you. Just do a Craigslist search for "custom bobber". You'll see any number of once decent bikes, chopped to sh1t. Various states --keys missing, no title (but it's really easy to get one!), "ran great before I took it apart". "Just needs a little TLC", etc. etc. And they invariably want a stupid amount of money for it due to their 'time invested'.

Some folks just shouldn't be allowed near a motorcycle, nor a wrench, for that matter.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turn it into a track toy. :)
Don't think it didn't cross my mind on the test ride. ;)

My wife would have a cow if I kept it. She was only O.K. with me bringing it home since I was going to part it out, after I kept a few pieces I need. (spare rims with discs for sticky tires, Showa fork tubes to fix an adjustable pair with bad upper tubes, better fuel tank)

Reactions: t-bills

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Do your paperwork in Vermont--they do not issue titles for bikes over 15 years old-look it up easy and not to costly-You dont have to live in Vermont they do the paperwork and mail it to you at your home address--It works I know I had to do this for my 91 900SS.
Everything cost $153. 00

Reactions: Dukerdr

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
And they invariably want a stupid amount of money for it due to their 'time invested'.

Some folks just shouldn't be allowed near a motorcycle, nor a wrench, for that matter.
Quoted for truth. See this all the time. Worst. Craze. Ever.

My favorite was the 1992 Sportster 883 I was shown on Bay Area CL a couple years ago. All the seller did was ditch the stock seat and install a sprung saddle.

It was then posted to CL as a “Custom Bobber” for some stupid amount. Why would you put a sprung saddle on a bike with a full suspension?

It isn’t like it was built into a hardtail.
It literally was all stock other than the saddle. People do stupid sh!t all the time.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do your paperwork in Vermont--they do not issue titles for bikes over 15 years old-look it up easy and not to costly-You dont have to live in Vermont they do the paperwork and mail it to you at your home address--It works I know I had to do this for my 91 900SS.
Everything cost $153. 00
If there wasn't too much wrong with this bike, I might just do this. Or if it were a Supersport. But it's just a Monster. With a really good engine.
There's too many missing pieces, and broken bits on this bike. But whats left is really nice.
I'll send you a couple of before and after pics if you want, you can judge for yourself after seeing them.
Just let me know. I still have your digits.

·
Registered
409 Posts
People treat motorcycles with no more reverence than they would a toaster.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If there wasn't too much wrong with this bike, I might just do this. Or if it were a Supersport. But it's just a Monster. With a really good engine.
There's too many missing pieces, and broken bits on this bike. But whats left is really nice.
I'll send you a couple of before and after pics if you want, you can judge for yourself after seeing them.
Just let me know. I still have your digits.
sure give me a ring anytime

Reactions: Dukerdr
1 - 11 of 11 Posts