Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Welcome to the June Bike of the Month Competition!

May ROTM Winner: @Elbato

Please follow all instructions posted below

1. You must add 3 Photos; no more, no less. NO Collages. Pictures must be of the current state of your vehicle. Avoid having any people in your images.
  2. List any/all Legal Modifications to your vehicle if you have done any.*
  3. The bike must be yours. Bikes waiting to be purchased may not be included
  4. Include a short description of your favourite aspect of your bike, or your favourite memory or ride taken with your bike*
  5. Votes for the month’s winner will be tallied by the number of “Likes” your post has on the last day of the month. The winner at the end of the month will win a free 1 Year Premium Membership for the forum and a custom flair under their username. If the winner is already a premium member, their subscription will be extended an additional year.
  6. Remember, please post your entries and pictures in this thread.
  7. If you have won in a previous month, you can no longer enter for the rest of the year. However, if you have a second bike that meets the above criteria, you can enter that.

* These are optional but encouraged

Winners will be featured on the sites gallery, found here. Gallery

·
Registered
430 Posts
Will there be an archive thread for all previous winners as this looks like it is being a popular contest?

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,293 Posts
OK, I'll bite.

Here is my beloved air-cooled Hyper 2008 1100s

Mods:

SC Project oil cooler
Lusuardi racing license plate holder
DP comfort seat
DP Enduro handguards and mirrors
Magnesium clutch cover
Cored exhaust
DP race ECU with MWR air filter
Carbon side tank covers
Many other carbon bits
Custom paint job

·
Registered
19 Posts
2020 Panigale V2.

Mods:
Futurismoto tail tidy
Ducati Spacers heat shield
Comfort seat
Front reflector delete
Pro Grips 717 in the red/black
Passenger foot pegs delete

Purchased 3/20/2021. 2,306 miles in 12 weeks!

Favorite aspect: it’s red!

Favorite memory - This is bike #7 over 31 years and my second Ducati. I’m just grateful that I can still ride and in such a beautiful place. The photos below are on the Blue Ridge Parkway, which passes through 10 miles from my home in Western North Carolina. Taken last night!

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,293 Posts
2020 Panigale V2.

Mods:
Futurismoto tail tidy
Ducati Spacers heat shield
Comfort seat
Front reflector delete
Pro Grips 717 in the red/black
Passenger foot pegs delete

Purchased 3/20/2021. 2,306 miles in 12 weeks!

Favorite aspect: it’s red!

Favorite memory - This is bike #7 over 31 years and my second Ducati. I’m just grateful that I can still ride and in such a beautiful place. The photos below are on the Blue Ridge Parkway, which passes through 10 miles from my home in Western North Carolina. Taken last night!

Beautiful photos.

The last one could be the cover of some band's record

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
My very early production 1991 900SS
Solo seat w/ Corbin saddle
Carbon front & rear mudguards
Ducati Fork preload adjusters
Forks Suzuki GSXR 750 cartridges
Race-tech Fork Springs
Carbon Tech Slip-on's
B&B Fabrications Frame brace
Engine case saver
External petcock from Aircraft Spruce
Cycle Cat vented clutch cover
external charging port (BMW part)
K&N Air Filter
Factory Pro Jet kit
Spiegler brake & clutch lines
Exhaust hangers from B&B Fabrications
14 ft 42 R sprocket set up right now
This bike was owned by Renato Ami The Tech Rep for Ducati in Italy from new
Not done yet but next thing is to install the 2 piece Marvic / Akront Super Light wheels I have.Then what I have is basically a European 900SL--Minus the little plaque lol.
Oh and I am in the process of building a different engine for this bike that is just a little hotter then stock.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Is that a fuel cock on the right side of the tank .. just under it .. ? I've been sketching out a few ideas about that, also putting the in-line fuel filter outside as well.

So that swingarm .. is that a retrofitted Superlight swingarm and full floating rear brake assembly? Or did your year/model come with that? The right footpeg hanger looks a bit different than the Superlight (I think?) .. so does the rear master cylinder (I think?) ... huh, interesting. I'm trying to learn more all the time. Little bits here-n-there.

Wonderful attention to detail! ... the silver/natural footpeg hangers ... like those better than the black on the CR .. I think I still have some paint stripper that hasn't soured ...

:)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The early bikes like mine Had the silver footpeg hangers, The swingarm is the original to this bike --(remember this is an SS not a CR) --The swing arm on the SL was the same that was on the SS , SL, SP & FE. Yes that is the external petcock on the right side --I took a piece of aluminum bar stock and on my bridgeport mill made a neat mount, --I too have an external fuel filter but it's a small Russell just as added filtration. The rear master cylinder has the pressure rear brake light switch where yours would have an electronic switch --Notice too that mine has black brake calipers not gold---they are correct for the early bikes --The rear brake would have originally been mounted above the rotor @ say 12 o-clock. But being that Renato the original owner had access to everything in the Ducati shop including the race shop he made an underslung rear caliper with a custom support bar--( dont know if this was something he made or maybe pulled out of the race shop--It is far lighter then the later support rod)

·
Registered
18 Posts
This was a 2-year build. I started with the motor and frame from a 2002 998 and went from there.
Ducshop motor (cams, flowed heads, balance/blue printed) Dynoed at 140hp and 80lbs/ft (I was told any higher and reliability becomes a thing)
20170503_134415 (2).jpg
20200614_143846 (2).jpg
Dash.jpg

Mag swing arm and linkage
Ohlins front, rear and steering damper
Ducshop triple clamps (originally for a 999 w/stock forks. Needed to have the lowers bored plus a new mounting bracket for damper followed by spacers for the front rotors)
Microtech dash with custom carbon mount
New wiring harness
50mm exhaust to fit non-deep sump cases
Carbon tank, airbox, fender, shock guard, belly pan, etc.
Marvic wheels
Galfer rotors
Radial masters brake and clutch w/Kevlar lines
Countless other details that could best be described as "Death by a Thousand Cuts"

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,293 Posts
This was a 2-year build. I started with the motor and frame from a 2002 998 and went from there.
Ducshop motor (cams, flowed heads, balance/blue printed) Dynoed at 140hp and 80lbs/ft (I was told any higher and reliability becomes a thing) View attachment 1009712 View attachment 1009714 View attachment 1009717
Mag swing arm and linkage
Ohlins front, rear and steering damper
Ducshop triple clamps (originally for a 999 w/stock forks. Needed to have the lowers bored plus a new mounting bracket for damper followed by spacers for the front rotors)
Microtech dash with custom carbon mount
New wiring harness
50mm exhaust to fit non-deep sump cases
Carbon tank, airbox, fender, shock guard, belly pan, etc.
Marvic wheels
Galfer rotors
Radial masters brake and clutch w/Kevlar lines
Countless other details that could best be described as "Death by a Thousand Cuts"
Wow!
That is a lot of work ! Well done!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Okay...here goes...I will try to be concise, but I feel just saying "she's pretty", or "she's fun", don't translate, and borders on poor taste. I will try to be brief.

Mods: Termi high mount pipes, Pirelli Diablo tires, carbs have been adjusted, airbox opened up, Exact Start cables for the battery and starter (way better than stock!)...other than that, she is totally stock '98 900SSFE. #193/300 imported to the U.S., and 1/800 total built. This motorcycle really is my "unicorn", due to it being so rare. Rare doesn't automatically connote special, but the FE truly is that, at least to me. A 900SS are rare as it is, but a fully-faired one, and a silver one, the Final Edition, just make it all the better. Most all the known foibles of the earlier bikes have been addressed with this final swan song. A contemporary 748, not to think of a 916, would humiliate it, but when you are riding it, that doesn't matter. Nothing else matters.

My favorite memory was honestly riding her the first time after I bought her. She is so similar to the 900SSCR, yet, different. The suspension and brakes are noticeably higher spec than the more budget components on the CR, for one. However, I love them both dearly. The Ducati 900SSFE (and 2nd-Gen Ducati 900SS in general!) is my favorite motorcycle I have ever been on, and I have owned over 15 bikes, and been on probably 40-60 total. This bike does it all right for me. I fit it like it was built for me. She speaks to me, sings, even. It is comfortable to ride, the braking, handling, narrowness of it, the form factor is tastefully elegant...The analog gauges (I hate digital clocks, and like seeing actual needles on a face, actual numbers turning in the ODO and trip meter), with what I consider perfect typeface and spacing...the noise it makes, the smooth torque as you climb the RPM with the Desmodue engine, the howl of the intake just beneath you, the rattle of the dry clutch...the "click-click-click" through the gears...the force you must apply with the clutch lever, all of it; the experience!

If you have been on a 2nd Gen 900SS, you get it. The 3rd Gen lost that eventfulness of style, that verve, it was made too good, but without the soul. This bike was the ending of an era, which is why I will never part with her now that I have tasted.

Not like I can afford a MH Replica 900SS anyway...or any bevel Ducati twin...Loving that 1100 Hyper, though! Nice ride!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Okay...here goes...I will try to be concise, but I feel just saying "she's pretty", or "she's fun", don't translate, and borders on poor taste. I will try to be brief.

Mods: Termi high mount pipes, Pirelli Diablo tires, carbs have been adjusted, airbox opened up, Exact Start cables for the battery and starter (way better than stock!)...other than that, she is totally stock '98 900SSFE. #193/300 imported to the U.S., and 1/800 total built. This motorcycle really is my "unicorn", due to it being so rare. Rare doesn't automatically connote special, but the FE truly is that, at least to me. A 900SS are rare as it is, but a fully-faired one, and a silver one, the Final Edition, just make it all the better. Most all the known foibles of the earlier bikes have been addressed with this final swan song. A contemporary 748, not to think of a 916, would humiliate it, but when you are riding it, that doesn't matter. Nothing else matters.

My favorite memory was honestly riding her the first time after I bought her. She is so similar to the 900SSCR, yet, different. The suspension and brakes are noticeably higher spec than the more budget components on the CR, for one. However, I love them both dearly. The Ducati 900SSFE (and 2nd-Gen Ducati 900SS in general!) is my favorite motorcycle I have ever been on, and I have owned over 15 bikes, and been on probably 40-60 total. This bike does it all right for me. I fit it like it was built for me. She speaks to me, sings, even. It is comfortable to ride, the braking, handling, narrowness of it, the form factor is tastefully elegant...The analog gauges (I hate digital clocks, and like seeing actual needles on a face, actual numbers turning in the ODO and trip meter), with what I consider perfect typeface and spacing...the noise it makes, the smooth torque as you climb the RPM with the Desmodue engine, the howl of the intake just beneath you, the rattle of the dry clutch...the "click-click-click" through the gears...the force you must apply with the clutch lever, all of it; the experience!

If you have been on a 2nd Gen 900SS, you get it. The 3rd Gen lost that eventfulness of style, that verve, it was made too good, but without the soul. This bike was the ending of an era, which is why I will never part with her now that I have tasted.

Not like I can afford a MH Replica 900SS anyway...or any bevel Ducati twin...Loving that 1100 Hyper, though! Nice ride!

View attachment 1009998 View attachment 1009999 View attachment 1010000
Nice looking bike.
I have always loved the 1998 900 FE. Now I am a bit sorry I sold mine, #179 earlier this year.

Reactions: 900DesmoSS

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice looking bike.
I have always loved the 1998 900 FE. Now I am a bit sorry I sold mine, #179 earlier this year.
Thank you, friend. Every time I ride it, it is an event. It is the single best bike I have ever been on...I will never part with her.

Riding the 900SSFE is almost ecstasy for me. Such a fine machine!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts