Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Use jumper cables - place black cable on ground / battery - place red jumper on hot solenoid side after removing and securing battery terminal side - press start button. The Duc will trigger the solenoid and use the car battery vvoltage to turn starter over

·
Super Moderator
8,212 Posts
Wait, what??
That sounds completly wrong. The instant you remove the positive lead, the bike will die wont it? It doesnt have a postive if you have removed and secured the positive existing battery terminal. Or am I reading it wrong?

I can understand running the positive to the hot side of the solenoid so as to get maximum starting power to the startermotor, but you might aswell hook it up conventionally and let the car battery charge the bikes battery for a few minutes before doing a conventional jump. No downside to that is there?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think once the bike is turned over and running, the stator runs the bike. But like you said, I wouldn't bother unhooking anything. Just hook it up pos to pos, neg to neg and DONT start the car. Just jump it off of 12v from the car battery. The car's charging system has substantially more amps behind it. I wouldn't want to risk frying anything on the bike. This is how I've done it in the past.

·
Registered
21 Posts
First of all, the car (like the bike) has a voltage regulator too. This prevents the battery from getting too high of voltage and destroying it. When the car is running, the electrical systems will be at ~13-14 volts DC. This difference between the 12volt battery allows current to flow in to the battery charging it. And as far as "amps", well, the devices will only take as many as it needs. A million amp battery would light a tiny LED, as long as the voltage wan't too high. Voltage on the other hand needs to be similar (don't jump 6volt batteries off a 12volt system, or vice versa).

When jumping, start the running vehicle first, and connect the RED to the + of both vehicles batteries. Running it insures that you dont drain the good battery, and hooking red first ensures that if you accidentally drop the jumper, it wont short to ground because ground isn't connected yet. Then, after both sides of RED(+) are securely attached, carefully add the black(-/ground) to either the (-) of the battery, or a good conductive part of the grounded chassis (both vehicles)

Allow a few seconds for the running car+good battery to quick-charge the ducati. After a 30 seconds or more, start the ducati but leave the jumpers hooked up for another few seconds. When its running strong, disconnect Black from both vehicles, then red.

Another thing I want to point out is while the stator/generator DOES run the bike, the battery is essential to its operation.
As an example, Think of it like water. The stator puts water out at, lets say, 200 gallons/min. The running bike NEEDS water at 180 gallons per min. This is all fine until you start revv'ing the bike (where it could potentially draw up to 250 gallons of water per minute. The battery acts like a big water storage tank where it accumulate when there is excess, and donates when there is a deficiency. Without it you can really stress the stator on bike.

Hope this helps, and I hope I haven't been too simplistic about it.

Keep Calm
&
Ride On :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was So embarrassed. I rode to work and at the end of the day, I wend out to start the bike and all I got was a click. I knew immediately my battery was too low but I still tried a few more times hoping for a miracle.

In the end I had to get one of the maintenance guys to jump me.

Hooked up red first then black and the bike fired right up. No problems jumping from a car even if it's running. I've read many horror stories but I never understand why all the concern over jumping a bike. Battery amps are totally irrelevant it's the voltage that's important.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should have been more specific - recently had starter issue - through part of troubleshooting - solenoid / start button / wiring / fuses / battery - I did this to avoid frying any electrical bits - thought I would share - starter was shorted - fixed and running great now with lithium battery - so much lighter - Motoelectric kit works great - could easily make your own wires also

1 - 7 of 7 Posts