Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

So excited! My original CR was a '95. I bought it out of the crate in the summer of '94 and rode the hell out of it for a number of years. Penguin racing school at the Bridge, courted my (now ex) wife on it, rode to a couple of Canadian GP's on it and thought I would never quit riding. Until I did. Now with one kid graduated from college and another soon to graduate and a HS sophomore who thinks bikes are cool, I decided the time was right to get another Ducati. Sadly I let the last CR deteriorate in my parents barn where mice ate the wiring and rust ate the tank. I donated the bike to noted wrench Tyler Lunceford four years ago when the amount of work would have cost more than the bike was worth. This was a mistake but I made up for it today. I picked up a '97 with less than 7k on the clock for $2,800. It needs nothing (I think) but a good going over by my local tech Velocita here in Brooklyn. It is the rare but unfortunate yellow and I would keep it that way except that the upper fairing was resprayed a truly hideous taxi cab yellow. This is my excuse for repainting it 900 SS black. Or 750 SS robin's egg blue. Who knows? I am open to suggestions. I'm almost as excited to be part of another forum as I am to have the bike. Almost. Anyway, greetings from Brooklyn. Pics to follow.

Best regards,

Robey
@robeysan on Instagram

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,309 Posts
Congrats and welcome Robey.

So...um...c'mon with those pics already. :laugh:

·
Registered
534 Posts
That's the next Ducati in my low budget collection, just really really think that fairing suits being 1/2. And personally, I'd just paint it back to stock. It's a 900, I do feel Yellow and other "alternative' colors are best suited to the baby Ducs.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
79 ss black and gold?

750gt orange candy?

red and yellow or blue and red tt2/tt1 variations?

alternative colours? you means the ones they used before 1989?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
79 ss black and gold?

750gt orange candy?

red and yellow or blue and red tt2/tt1 variations?

alternative colours? you means the ones they used before 1989?
Yes! My '78 Darmah was black with the gold Campagnolo wheels. I fancied it was John Player Special livery like Emo Fittipaldi, Mario Andretti and Ayrton Senna drove in. I'm a hopeless romantic. This color scheme has the benefit of not having to touch the frame or wheels because the bronze is kinda gold-ish.

OTOH, that orange candy is boss.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I had both a black and gold '80 Darmah and 900 SS.

So I guess you know how I would vote...;)

Reactions: V8S4

·
Registered
166 Posts
love this- they really do leave indelible memories- so many people revisit after selling them including myself- I'ma big fan of yellow Ducati's. Love them. I say restore to stock color! But... Black and gold is always a home run.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OMG. That sealed the deal. The picture, I mean.

love this- they really do leave indelible memories- so many people revisit after selling them including myself- I'ma big fan of yellow Ducati's. Love them. I say restore to stock color! But... Black and gold is always a home run.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,309 Posts
I am open to suggestions.
If you decide to go with the black then I would suggest high gloss paint with lots and lots of clear coat. Buddy of mine did that on his 999 and it looks positively exquisite in the sunlight.

The black painted carby bikes had a white frame with matching white rims so you're also gonna need gold rims to complete the look as the silver ones you've got would look kinda wonky with black paint and a gold frame.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just ordered three rattle cans of high gloss mixed to the Brilliant Black paint code of my Audi S4, plus two cans of high gloss clear. Need to spray part of the rear bumper on the car but the paint is really for the bike. I like it on the car, I hope it works on the bike.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts