Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So John spent quite a few years in GP and didn't really manage to accomplish anything. Now he is in WSBK and can't seem to stay on his bike. He cant seem to manage to stay healthy because every time he shows up for a race he takes himself and sometimes other racers out. His most recent incident at the Nurburgring sent him and another rider to the hospital. i honestly can't even remember if he's actually finished a race. So is it time for Hopper to step down, return to the AMA or should he stay in world superbikes?

·
Registered
248 Posts
John Hopkins should be banned from racing completely like Mike Hale did, because the lack of results, and still getting paid big $$$...........

·
Premium Member
8,762 Posts
Hopkins used to throw rocks at other riders he blamed for crashing or kick the crap out of a bike that he thinks will behave better the next time out. He kind of reminded me on the outside as the ugly American. To pull someone out of a domestic circuit at such a young age and elevate him to the premier class overnight makes you think whoever plucked him out of the AMA saw some great potential brewing. Kind of hard to be competitive when your on a non competitive bike. This could happen to Spies, that would knock him and his followers off their pedestals until such time the bike is either rendered crap or comes out on top like the Yamaha is everywhere.

I would like to see Hopkins on a competitive bike first of all. He has been on a bunch of crap over the years except he almost had a breakthough year with Suzuki and then he decides to switch. Now hes back to zero minus.

·
Registered
248 Posts
John Hopkins was living in the shadow of old Kevin Schwantz, that whole hanging on to Suzuki deal was very bad for him.

Like others said, he had never raced a competitive bike, in fact he might not even know what a competitive bike feels like, therefore he can never set it up correctly...........

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ulrich is the guy who saw the potential in Hopkins and set up his test for the then WCM Yamaha team back in the 500 days. Hopper obviously did enough to earn the ride after the test but never really blossomed into any real threat. Granted he's never been on the best equipment but he has never really lived up to the hype.
When he moved over to WSBK with the Stiggy Honda team he at least was moving to a seat which his teammate (Haslam) had been competitive. Hopper's late arrival didn't let him test like most of the other riders, but even after he was able to test he hasn't been able to produce finishes. Unfortunately at this point I think Hopper is a gravel magnet and may be limited by his injuries. Even this weekend, Hopper didn't even make superpole while his teammate put the bike third on the grid. I just don't see things getting better for him given his last few years.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
He really needs to heal before you can tell what he can do on the superbike, right now he's pushing himself too hard still hurt and messing up. Can he do better healed? Dunno, but for right now he's definitely useless to himself and the team.

·
9,757 Posts
Hopkins used to throw rocks at other riders he blamed for crashing or kick the crap out of a bike that he thinks will behave better the next time out. He kind of reminded me on the outside as the ugly American. To pull someone out of a domestic circuit at such a young age and elevate him to the premier class overnight makes you think whoever plucked him out of the AMA saw some great potential brewing. Kind of hard to be competitive when your on a non competitive bike. This could happen to Spies, that would knock him and his followers off their pedestals until such time the bike is either rendered crap or comes out on top like the Yamaha is everywhere.

I would like to see Hopkins on a competitive bike first of all. He has been on a bunch of crap over the years except he almost had a breakthough year with Suzuki and then he decides to switch. Now hes back to zero minus.
Hopkins had potential. He was scouted out by the same guy who "discovered" Kevin Schwantz. Yeah he was on some crap machinery but a lot of top riders have ridden shit bikes at some point in their careers. I don't know what it is about Hopkins but the guy just doesn't have it goin on. I think it is more a mental thing than anything. He's just not a fighter. He gets all bummed out and lets his mood get the best of him. Yeah he kicks bikes, shakes fists, gets angry etc. but at the end of the day if you don't come out positive then there's nowhere to go but down. I remember how spiteful he was when he saw Colin and Nicky on podium at Laguna in 2005, saying how he wished it was him on podium. Reminded me of an angry little biatch.

PS, have you signed up on the Yamahaha forum yet? :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He really needs to heal before you can tell what he can do on the superbike, right now he's pushing himself too hard still hurt and messing up. Can he do better healed? Dunno, but for right now he's definitely useless to himself and the team.
I think it might be good for him to take a year off and probably let his body heal up. The risk he runs with that though is that his born on dating might expire and he just fades into irrelevancy, sort of like Kurtis Roberts did. It seems like Hopkins may be all about the money at this point in his career, so he may do well by taking a year off and then trying to find a superbike ride in AMA, a la Mladin.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes ole Hopper is all banged up. His career path reminds me of McCoy a little bit, just injury after injury (although Gary made it to the top step of the podium). Hopper always seemed like a knowledgeable rider but I agree he was never on the best equipment. I think bitterness sets in along with lack of confidence after trying really hard and not being able to be at the top. I think he only ended up with one podium in MotoGP? I would love to see him do well, but is last crash looked pretty bad...

·
comrade moderator
27,525 Posts
Unfortunately, that would be the end of John's career if he did that. There are plenty of hungry, talented young riders with sponsorship money and John is past his sell-by date.

He may have done better on better equipment, who knows. What ifs in racing abound, but I don't think those options were ever offered to him. He's never been politically connected enough or carried enough sponsorship. I feel he was lucky to have the opportunities he got. I don't personally feel he deserved them. I remember being pretty shocked he even went to Europe to ride 500's in the first place.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Unfortunately, that would be the end of John's career if he did that. There are plenty of hungry, talented young riders with sponsorship money and John is past his sell-by date.

He may have done better on better equipment, who knows. What ifs in racing abound, but I don't think those options were ever offered to him. He's never been politically connected enough or carried enough sponsorship. I feel he was lucky to have the opportunities he got. I don't personally feel he deserved them. I remember being pretty shocked he even went to Europe to ride 500's in the first place.
Actually Hopkins brings in major sponsorships, thats why he was able to stay in MotoGP for as long as he had. During the Suzuki years, KRJR was the one that couldn't bring in any sponsors.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hopper has made some bonehead moves. He stayed with Suzuki for way too long and then moved to the uber nail Kawasaki. Any window for him has come and gone. There are any number of faster guys around now who will be ahead of him on any list.
Not to mention his injuries. He has to appear pretty frail at this point in thet every time he comes off the bike he suffers a pretty serious injury. I'd be doubtfull that he returns to Stiggy next year. I wonder if he ever got all his Kawasaki money?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Its really to bad for Hopper. I met him at Indy seemed like a really nice guy that want to put on a show for his fans.
That said he doesnt have what it take to compete at the world level. He is still young I wonder how he would do in a Moto2 or WSS ride??

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i find it saddening as well... so much promise at such a young age... perhaps some time off... regain his health and fire.... and a come back...

i too feel that he will go the way of Kurtis Roberts... maybe if he could get back in shape, and smile a bit more.. who knows. he just doesn't seem to enjoy himself...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yes, he should find another job that doesn't involve competitive racing.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes, he should find another job that doesn't involve competitive racing.

Yes Sir, i agree 100%

Hopper is done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he has been done for a long time!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts