Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Anyone here ever use a Joe Hauler to haul your bike? I am considering buying one and would like some input. It seems like it'd be perfect for a dirt bike. But, how about a street bike?

Joe Hauler Motorcycle Carriers and Accessories

Any input you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, I live in a high-rise and don't have the space to store a trailer, so, that is not an option.

Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hauler

I bought something similar to this off craigslist.

I welded some extensions to the mounting points so the bike was more secure.

Attached it my old Acura Mdx and took the 1098 to SeaCoast for service.

Worked great.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i have a similiar one and use it for my dirt bikes,i would not even consider putting my street bike on it.loading -unloading and travel would all be a pain

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I had something similar to carry a motocross bike on but I wouldn't put a heavy road bike on it as it makes the front of the car too light, plus it would be difficult to load IMO.

This was on a medium-sized (European) car though so might be OK if you have a big, heavy truck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. Upon further investigation, it looks like this won't work for me (sadly). Here's my set up:

I rented the trailer when I purchased the bike ~1mo ago. It turns out the max tongue weight on my hitch is 550 lbs (this seems very low to me). The bike carrier's max load is 600 lbs.

Here's the math: Bike (Dry - 436 lbs) + Carrier (80 lbs) = 516 lbs

Anyone know the weight of an '02 998 Biposto WITH FLUIDS???

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I've used a Mototote, very similar, and have had no problems with it.
MTX Sport Motorcycle Carrier

Easy to do all on your own as well.

All the responsibility lies on you so don't mess up!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link Greg_S. That carrier looks nice. Smart design, using the mesh to keep the weight of the carrier down.

I am now even more confused though. My owner's manual says the max tongue capacity is 550 lbs. However, the hitch & hitch receiver (both factory original parts) indicate the max tongue capacity to be 770 lbs.

Here's an image of my hitch receiver:

·
Registered
351 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I've got this one. I'd bet it's the smallest trailer setup out there.

PROHOISTS - Motorcycle Tow Dolly Carrier Trailer Hitch

It works well, but make sure the bike is tied down well, or it will start to lean left/right. Never any problems though myself. And you don't have to load your car's shocks as much, which is nice. I towed my old 916 behind my BMW 3 series!
You have to be careful with these as many bikes have a pressure lubed transmission. No oil pressure and something can run dry and stick solid.

I had a customer that crashed and he was all pissed off at the bike. Yes the rear wheel was locked up. After the teardown he confessed that he shut the engine off and coasted while going down a long grade. Seized a primary idler gear up Big $$$time.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I am now even more confused though. My owner's manual says the max tongue capacity is 550 lbs. However, the hitch & hitch receiver (both factory original parts) indicate the max tongue capacity to be 770 lbs.
Remember, the tongue weight should be about 10% of the total trailer weight. Don't confuse tongue weight and trailer weight. So, if your owner's manual says that you can have 550 pounds of tongue weight, also check the total trailer weight capacity, and it will probably be about 4,000 to 5,000 pounds. Here are a couple of links that might help:

Tips on How To Tow a Trailer | etrailer.com

HowStuffWorks "How Tongue Weight Works"

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
With the U Haul .
MAKE SURE that everything is checked over...
The slow speed warnings always staring at you in the rear view mirror.

Some really dumb not caring employees hooking up to your vehicle , may not do the best job.
On a similar thread the U Haul experience was scary .
So if you use a U Haul check everything out for your own safety

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I picked up a VersaHaul, anyone ever use one of these? It comes w/an anti-rattle device to limit the play between the carrier & the hitch receiver. Unfortunately, because of my hitch design it doesn't fit. I was considering using an anti-rattle hitch pin but am not sure because of the weight of the bike + trailer. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Versahaul

Its great for supermotos... and it works for big bikes. I have transported my RC8R (~440lbs) and Daytona 955i(~500lbs) with Jeep Grand Cherokee it works OK, but you do tend to cringe over big high speed bumps like you find on concrete expressways at 80mph.

I needed air bags in the springs to keep it under control as that is a lot of weight hanging out back there.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but when you are dealing with a hitch mounted carrier, you should not be focusing on tongue weight. A hitch mounted carrier suspends the bike 12-24 inches off of the hitch, which has a huge lever effect. This will affect not only the impact on the hitch itself, but more importantly, if you put a full size moto on it, it will overload the rear suspension of almost every truck or SUV on the market unless you have an aftermarket air suspension in the back. Even if you can slap it on there and go, it will not be safe.

If you go to the Versahaul site, they have a chart showing the max weight you can put on the back of just about any truck/SUV on the market. You will note that the allowable weight for most stock vehicles is about that of a 250 dirtbike. And remember, the weights they show include the weight of the carrier itself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tested the VersaHaul today. It performed BEAUTIFULLY! It is a bit unnerving. But, the bike doesn't move AT ALL! It is rock solid on the carrier and I can't even notice it is there while driving down the highway. The truck is equipped with air bags all around so it keeps everything level at all times.

Since taking this picture I have added an LED hitch light to the back of the hauler and also a wheel chock to aid in loading/unloading when doing it alone. I also picked up some Ancra straps and and very impressed with the whole setup.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
If you get straps I would rather not have the cam lock straps that pinch the straps , I would get the ratchett straps which wind them up

Keep an eye on the stitching , some heavy thread is all that is holding things together...

Too nice of bikes to get damaged by cheapo rigging .Use the rated straps and go big so if thing get stressful in emergency situations you are covered ...
Think of worst case scenarios!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought one several years ago for my dirt bike but it is rated to 220 kgs. My jeep can take 310 Kgs of down pressure so it is feasible. Pretty nervy putting a MTS on it I think. A dirt bike weighing 106 kgs is a bit of a balancing act.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts