Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Jesters GT W Omars fairing.

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Goner 
#1 ·
well here it finally is, after MONTHS of waiting planning and work it really does exist. I will leave it up to your discerning tastes to determine if it was worth it all or not.

The final design for stays was after a lot of searching for something simple and solid, a design that complimented the style and lines of the bike and would enable the fairing to be removed in relative short order. I used Stainless eye Pads on the fairing and Bronze chromed turnbuckles to connect these to teh headlight bracket. All are connected with quick disconnect clips at the terminations.

I have to give a big BRAVO to my paint man, Arron Lamb at KC's Collision in South Thomaston Maine. When i dropped of the keys I gave him four pictures and a a general idea of what I wanted and let him go. its hard to Note the detail work in the photos, the white stripe matches the Ducati emblems exactly, he terminated the stripes early on the fender to eliminate chipping and make them really pop, the width of that stripe is exactly the width of the rocker cover behind it, He painted the inside of the fairing red instead of teh black i wanted and then matted it, ( thank goodness) I could go on but I would bore you!!
Needless to say he earned every penny.

Take a look and let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Clip ons

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=63829&page=2
This thread has a lot of the info regarding the Clip ons, essentially they are just 900SS clip ons bolted to the fork the same way they are on the original bikes.

I just chose to strip these and clear coat them to show off the fine welds. Those choosing to go to a higher style clip on may find difficulty with clearance unless they relocate the res....

I am still in a quandry as to how to finish the rear of the bike, I know at some point i will be adding OLDER style Hepco bags to finish the sport tourer feel.

Work MUST be done to reposition my feet rearward, as handling is severely compromised by the seating position. Ah it never ends... Oh and WASP I need more INFO about those power up kits for us GT guys with staintunes and stock ecu!!!!!

#6 ·
Cool!

I think that looks awesome! Very understated and classy!

#7 · (Edited)
That looks really beautiful Jester. It is the nicest appearing fairing I've seen yet on a GT. The paint IMO brings it to perfection.

You are very discerning re the foot peg position. The GT's bars and footpegs work together to make a near-perfect upright riding position. Change the height of the bars without moving the pegs rearward and that is lost.

I say "discerning" because several major bike manufacturers have not understood this relationship and thus ruined the riding position on otherwise wonderful mounts. Suzuki's original Bandit was an example of this. It was a small displacement (400cc if memory serves) sporting bike that was designed to use the formula that originally put Ducati on the map: A relatively small but feisty powerplant in a relatively small but great handling chassis. What killed it was the peg position - they were right for upright seating but bent the body unnaturally with the lower bars the designers put on the bike.

The now classic '91-98 900SS OTOH did it right. I suggest using one of those for guidance as you design your more rearward pegs. If you do you will still have a comfortable all-day rider, but one with a bit more sporting flare than the stock GT layout.

Great job! Do, please, keep us posted as you continue! :D

-don

#10 ·
+1 on the nice job statements

I say "discerning" because several major bike manufacturers have not understood this relationship and thus ruined the riding position on otherwise wonderful mounts. [...]

The now classic '91-98 900SS OTOH did it right. I suggest using one of those for guidance as you design your more rearward pegs. If you do you will still have a comfortable all-day rider, but one with a bit more sporting flare than the stock GT layout.
That's pretty interesting - as ergonomics generally are. Is the seating geometry of the 900SS actually recorded in Ducati manuals (or otherwise), that you know of? I mean, are the measurements available? Angles, distances from pegs to seat, from seat to bars, etc. ...

#12 ·
That's pretty interesting - as ergonomics generally are. Is the seating geometry of the 900SS actually recorded in Ducati manuals (or otherwise), that you know of? I mean, are the measurements available? Angles, distances from pegs to seat, from seat to bars, etc. ...
Not that I know of. But there is a sweet `93 sitting in my bike shed so they certainly can be had.

-don

#9 ·
The steering dampner is one of wasps fine units of the GT. I cannot say enough good about this unit and its design, function and installation ease. GT's owners are unable to use the Sport version as it wouldn't clear the ends of the tank.

Here are a couple of pics of the cockpit showing clearances. I retained the use of the GT risers, as can be see in the pics, and cut a short section of bar which allows me to mount my GPS , radar detector, and camera using techmount systems. easy on easy off.
( note the missing clevis pin in the upper right replaced by a bolt, its being used to make a bushing to make things even tighter)

Foot placement, I believe we talked at length in another post about this, so i won't belabor the point. But at one time I was the proud owner of a 99 K1200RS which many us believed was helped at turn in by weighting the pegs. Try that on this bike in its current config and you will get a NASTY surprise! Anyone have a rearset soultion they would like to share?
Jester?

Attachments

#13 ·
And conveniently enough a 94 900ss/cr sitting is right beside it! lol. So I have have made the exact comparisons, again in other threads. especialy the riser height and reach, which using the 900ss clip ons is VERY close to teh supersport!!! spooky
If you recall I rode that bike 600+ miles each way non stop (11hr) from Maine to Baltimore a year ago. I was amazed at how well it did as a sport tourer as well as a sport bike. I would have likely not been as comfortable on my old R100RS

What seems to be the biggest factor is the relationship of where the balls of the feet reside in relation to the "other set" lol.... after taking considerable time to look this relationship over several bikes that "just work" (honda RC51, K1200S, 750GXR , R1 etc ) what I noted was that the best placement for my feet would be directly under the butt! height was important but more in a comfort factor than handling. Move the Balls of the feet forward or backward and handling changes for those bikes compared. My assessment only.

#14 ·
nicely done - very clean execution.
i had a similar stripe on my gt and loved it.

i also went from stock bars to m-bars to clip-ons and in the end i found the pegs in the wrong place as well. having them forward forced an uncomfortable bend at the ankle and i started going down the path of getting a set of bip triangles - these, including all controls will bolt right on to your gt, although you'll need extensions for your exhaust as the passenger pegs and the exhaust mounting point are a bit higher on the bip, but it's a pretty easy way to get your pegs moved with a reversable mod - if you can find a set of triangles with controls it's an afternoon's work to make the swap.

i eventually just bought a sport as that's where i wanted to go, but you might want to give it a shot...

#16 ·
Great job. The fairing works so well with the bike.

Seeing your bike, I had a flash back to when I was riding motorbikes when I was young, and this is what a lot of after-market bolt on fairings look like, but you have integrated it so well, and the paint job looks superb.

#17 ·
Really sharp - the bike really has a solid cohesive '70s look. BTW, are those Staintunes?

#18 ·
Yup, staintunes with the Fatduc. I really like the sound. Termis are GREAT and I also love their unique music, but for this project I wanted more of a hot rod sound and look that again harkened back to those bikes in my mind. I believe I made the right choice for me. If it was a different Bike, I might be temped by the termis:D
Right now I need to finish tuning the front suspension exactly how I want it, and then start with Wasps Power up kits, Rearsets, and then Old style Hepco bags!!!! oh and then, and then...

#20 ·
http://www.omarsdtr.com/
Omars Dirt track Racing sells the fairing "in the white" and the finish work was excellent. There is a suppllied universal mounting Kit which I will leave up to your judgement as to its usefulness. The Headlight relocation bars do work with some standard wave washers and common metric bolts. There have been folks that have gone the route of using race stays which requiers the removal or remounting of Gauges. I chose to keep the system as uncluttered as possible and go with stainless hardware and turnbuckles. This system allows me to put the fairing in tension as well as support, helping quell a bit of the vibration that comes up. I am always willing to shoot pics and send to those that ask or post more here.

#21 ·
Great job, looks very cool. Every time I think I'm getting close, someone here straightens me out :eek:.....Right now I'm waiting to see if they can match the gray paint here for the cowl on a mono seat. If so, I'll have to seriously consider this fairing :think:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.