Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all I have a '92 superlight and was wondering what the rideability should be like below 3000rpm . The bike pulls hard and cleanly from 3000rpm but is uncomfortable on an even throttle below that - a real pain in the ass around town , do they all do this ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah they all do it, especially in higher gears.
They're not really that good around town (unless you are blasting from lights to lights :) )

·
Registered
59 Posts
For what it's worth ...I recently changed the gearing on my '93 750SS to a 14/37 (OEM 15/37), serviced/cleaned the carbs, put new plugs and it's now quite more "civilized" for city driving.
It's still not as smooth as my '92 907IE or my '08 HD FLHTC but it is definitively rideable, when I got it with the stock 15/37 and the carbs a bit off it was indeed awful.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Check out this thread and specifically post #5. I already ordered the Dyna Coils and I am going to order the silent Hektik MonoBlock ignition soon based on the reports from member Desmodue. I am looking to get my 94 900ss as easy to drive in the city as possible. I just got my SS and it has stock gearing. I am going to try 15/39 and then even try a 14T front.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=58756

·
Registered
51 Posts
this is just my observation on my 93. The 900 ss reminds me of these 2 nice young " professional dancers" I dated in my early 20's. The 900, or at least mine ( now a 944) is a dirty, dirty, girl and needs to be punished. If I don't take her out on the back roads and flog her regularly she acts up in public ( city traffic). I know this might sound stupid but, If I just commute on it, it runs like shit. If I run it super hard every now and then it is very civil on my commute. I can do 20 mph in second and have no problems. It is almost like they are hyper sensitive to carbon build up........ :abduct:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
It's not a Harley, it will never run well below 3k rpm... in 18 years of riding Ducs I've never found that to be a problem though. Besides, a lot of them won't keep the battery charged spinning that slowly anyway! :p

·
Registered
692 Posts
Jerky???

Change your rear sprocket combination to a 15/39 teeth and you will be very glad you did!!! Trust me!:D This is assuming your bike plugs, electricals and carbs are in good to excellent condition!

Good Luck!

Vickon:abduct:

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
It's not a Harley, it will never run well below 3k rpm... in 18 years of riding Ducs I've never found that to be a problem though. Besides, a lot of them won't keep the battery charged spinning that slowly anyway! :p
Indeed. If I need to ride below 3k RPM, I take a Guzzi.

They won't keep the batter charged with constant running below 4k either, but at least they are smooth down to 2k or so.

My 999R is much better than either my SS or ST2 at low revs, but I really try to avoid going under 4k with the Ducatis, and they all have lowered gearing (14/43 ST2, 15/43 SS, 14/39 999R)

Tom

P.S. Even though my ST2 has shorter gearing then my SS, it actually has a higher top end, as it revs 1k higher, and has three more HP (same dyno, same day), but it's better around town due to the shorter gearing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I tried 15/37, 15/39, 14/37 and 14/39 best compromise, smoother ride I got on the '93 750SS (750cc/5 speed) was with the 14/37 combo ...on my '92 907IE (900cc/6 speed) I'm running 15/40 and it's perfect. Like said before it will depend on your riding style/preference ...good luck and enjoy the scoot!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can't help thinking the SS ain't a city bike.

I run stock gearing 15/37, Dyna coils and Dell'Orto flatslides on short manifolds and it runs strong from 3000-8500. That's fine for me. I'll try to avoid city centres as much as possible.

·
Registered
119 Posts
this is just my observation on my 93. The 900 ss reminds me of these 2 nice young " professional dancers" I dated in my early 20's. The 900, or at least mine ( now a 944) is a dirty, dirty, girl and needs to be punished. If I don't take her out on the back roads and flog her regularly she acts up in public ( city traffic). I know this might sound stupid but, If I just commute on it, it runs like shit. If I run it super hard every now and then it is very civil on my commute. I can do 20 mph in second and have no problems. It is almost like they are hyper sensitive to carbon build up........ :abduct:
This is exactly how my 95 900ss is.... ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts