Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn Rossi beat out Loris by .01 seconds.
Pedrosa and Sete tied in times for 3-4.
nakano on the Kawi in 5th....

Man oh man, come on Sunday!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
This is shaping up to be a pretty good season. A few other teams are now at least within striking distance of Rossi. I'd never bet against Rossi, but maybe this year the title will at least still be in question after the mid-season break.

Tony

Rainman said:
Damn Rossi beat out Loris by .01 seconds.
Pedrosa and Sete tied in times for 3-4.
nakano on the Kawi in 5th....

Man oh man, come on Sunday!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wow, look at the times for today. Things have changed and #46 is still having chatter problems and the others have caught up. Should be a good race.

BTW, what beer will you have for watching the race? We will have an IPA of some make.

Dave Harhay

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Maybe this chatter thing is for real (it's always possible it's just Rossi playing with the other riders' heads).

Rossi found no more speed today while a few others were able to get into the 1:40s, leaving Rossi 10th. The race should be very interesting tomorrow.

Tony

·
Super Moderator
8,266 Posts
Gibernau fastest in warmup (1.40)
Capirossi 3:d (1.41)

Rossi 6:th (almost 1 second behind)

This is gonna be INTRESTING!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
MV_999R said:
Capirossi Won!!!!!! :d :d :d
Oh yeah, and by a 5 second margin ahead of a four car Honda train. Edwards 10th.

·
Super Moderator
8,266 Posts
And Sete retired with a broken bike..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Darn impressive that Rossi finished in 14th after all of that. So did Nakano bump into Elias or did Elias just go into that first turn to hot?

·
Chilehead
6,986 Posts
Ten laps before the finish, I think that Capirossi's lead was down to 0.3 seconds or so.

Pedrosa was amazing, though, particularly for his first-ever race in GP. Stoner also had a very good first showing.

Loved the way Capirossi was power sliding around the corners.

Tom

·
Premium Member
8,759 Posts
I think many knew Pedrosa would be a force to reckoned with. With his experience on the same tracks and some world championships, I knew he was going to be the faster of the two on the Repsol team. The two variables was tire wear and his size. The latter being a positive because he is the lightest person on the grid, don't we talk about going light helps you go fast? The negative was the power and size of the big bike vs 250cc, can he muscle it in the later stages of the race. He is a helluva rider albeit kind of funny looking, but I have no doubt he will be a champion. I thought he was going to reel in Capirossi, but was relieved with the combination of tire issues and Capirossi's experience and skill under pressure. It felt like WSBK deja vu during the first race at Phillip Island this year when Bayliss went out fast and spun out his tires. Pedrosa showed his maturity too by not pushing more when he realized his front tire was loosing grip. I guess he figured better a second place podium his rookie start with 20 points vs zero points with a crash. I was kind of disappointed the field seemed to spread out fairly early, like to see more bikes in the hunt. I hope it doesn't turn into a Honda fest with a couple Ducatis and one Yamaha. But what the hell, thats what WSBK was like for many years. Depends who your rooting for, I guess.

First time watching a complete 250cc race, interesting. Sounds like a bunch of angry bees ridden by people that could have been jockeys. Smooth and fast machines, now I see where Biaggi got his form.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What happend to Gibernau

Incase anyones wondering what happend to Gibernaus bike (first paragraph) I included the full article incase anyones intrested:

From Ducati.com

DUCATI MOTOGP TEAM WINS THRILLING SEASON-OPENER

Loris Capirossi won today's season-opening Spanish GP in brilliant style to put the Ducati MotoGP Team at the top of the MotoGP points table for the first time in history. But it was a day of mixed emotions for the team with Sete Gibernau withdrawing due to a gear sensor problem which affected his bike's electronics.

Capirossi and Gibernau had qualified first and second fastest, with Gibernau quickest in this morning's warm-up session, so the team had high hopes of a double podium result. Capirossi led the race from start to finish to beat runner-up Dani Pedrosa by 4.375 seconds and completed a perfect weekend: pole position, race win and fastest lap. Today's victory was the Italian's fourth MotoGP success for the Ducati MotoGP Team, his sixth premier class triumph and his 26th career win.

Federico Minoli (Ducati CEO and president)
"Winning today's race is the perfect end to a hard winter's work. Everyone who believes in this project has worked so hard and today all that work paid off. Loris rode like a lion, he gave us an amazing race. It's a pity for Sete, he's shown that he's strong and that he's fast and I'm sure we could have had both bikes on the podium today, but he still has 16 races ahead of him."

Livio Suppo (Ducati MotoGP project manager)
"It's a day of mixed emotions for us – Ducati deserved a double podium today. I'm so happy for Loris, he did a great job and rode a wonderful race, he had the situation under control. On the other hand, I'm really sorry for what happened to Sete. My thanks to our technical partners Bridgestone and Shell Advance who have done so much in contributing to this victory."

Loris Capirossi (winner)
"This is my fourth year with the Ducati MotoGP Team and this is the best start we've had to a season, today's win was just the best. The team has done a great job all winter, especially at the tests we did here two weeks ago. After that we knew we had a good opportunity to win and after practice and qualifying we were quite confident.

"My target today was to not try too hard in the early laps, but I got away in first place, so I tried to make a gap on the others. First it was (Nicky) Hayden behind me, then Pedrosa came at me. I decided to make a good rhythm that wouldn't stress the tyres too much, then during the last six or seven laps I pushed again and was able to take the advantage once more.

"I have to say thanks to everyone at Ducati who worked so hard for this and also to Bridgestone who have made big improvements over the winter. This is our second season with Bridgestone and our collaboration is working so well. I will try to repeat today's result as often as possible but it won't be easy!"

Sete Gibernau (DNF)
"I've no words really, we've all been working so hard over the last few months but we're leaving the first race with no result. It's a real pity, everything had been going so well. My congratulations to Loris and Bridgestone for a fantastic win, now we look forward to the next race in Qatar in two weeks' time."

·
Administrator
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah baby!

despotp said:
Darn impressive that Rossi finished in 14th after all of that. So did Nakano bump into Elias or did Elias just go into that first turn to hot?
Elias went in too hot.
But when apologizing to Vale, Vale told him, "Next time, grab more brake, or hit someone ELSE'S Bike!"

What a race!!!!!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I guess no matter what happens Sete just can beat Rossi.......

·
Registered
319 Posts
kingsnake1650 said:
I guess no matter what happens Sete just can beat Rossi.......
After the Quatar incident in 2004 Rossi said that from now on he would arrive i front of Gibernau.

It has worked well so far.

·
Registered
403 Posts
For awhile there I thought that Pedrosa would catch Capirex. Then I was thinking about Capirex's tires, would they make it. A really good race and everyone was safe too. Maybe Ducati has something by having an experienced team with ability to react very quickly as opposed to the other teams.

Still not a Honda fan.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
dharhay said:
For awhile there I thought that Pedrosa would catch Capirex. Then I was thinking about Capirex's tires, would they make it. A really good race and everyone was safe too. Maybe Ducati has something by having an experienced team with ability to react very quickly as opposed to the other teams.

Still not a Honda fan.

Dave Harhay
YA KNOW....I was looking at Pedrosa slowly but surely reeling in Capirex and I couldn't help but think how was Capi gonna fend him off when he gets in there...specially when he was within .3 of him....and then I started wondering with the way he was riding to go after him...if his tires would last...and sure enough...he started to drop off...that is when I knew he wasn't gonna catch him...but I did get nervous a little watching Loris on the last lap with how woogedy the bike was getting around a few of those turns...he was defintily turning up the heat on an already spent set of tires and I was a little afraid he was gonna spoil it for himself....glad he didn't and I am especially glad that he won....I am not a big Honda fan...but I am gonna be on the look out for Pedrosa....it looks to me somewhat that he is cut somewhat from the same cloth of transition from 250 to GP as Rossi and Biaggi....both formidable oppenents when they made the transition up in the ranks....I think he is definitely gonna shake things up this year!....Rossi better watch his P's & Q's...

·
Super Moderator
8,266 Posts
After the race, I went over to a friends house with my brother and we talked abit about the race (my friend has a 996R and my brother rides a EU-spec 996S). We all agreed that this year could.. could.. be VERY intresting. I don´t want to jinx it, but.. it seems Ducati has been doing good in the off-season.

One thing we all agreed on is that NEXT year is gonna be the year of the newcomers. Max is gone.. alot of the Old school drivers are getting close to the downslope and there are many eager riders waiting for a break.

Pedrosa is FAST! That guy is going to take some looking at. Nicky is going to be fast and it seems he doesn´t care d*ck about upsetting folks..

Oh.. and did anyone mention that Capirossi had a "PERFECT" race?
*Fastest Qualifying
*Fastest Warm-up
*Lead the race Start-Finish
*Fastest Racelap

It´s gonna be an intresting year.

EDIT: I was alittle pissed at Sete´s commentary..
"We´re leaving the first race with no results."
WTF?? Dude, your teammate just won the opening race! There is no I in TEAM.

//amullo

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
While Pedrosa was fast, I'll wait a few more races before asking Rossi to hand over the crown. ;) I'll stick with Melandri or Nicky to be the top Honda boys come the end of the year.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts