Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - I have been browsing the forum for quite some time now and I knew the day would come that I need to register to ask some questions and that day has finally come. I picked up an 08 hypermotard 1100 on thanksgiving for 3 grand. It has loads of plastics damage and wouldn't shift at all. Somehow, though, anything made of metal looks almost mint. I don't know where the plastics came from, if they were from another bike or what, but somehow the plastics got destroyed without almost damage to the frame/motor/etc. The shifting problem was a broken shift return spring, which cost me 5 bucks and was in stock at my local Duc dealership, so as you can probably assume, I am elated. But, now that I am looking at this being my daily commuter bike in Boston instead of my big BMW GS, I am having another problem. Cold starts are kind of a bitch. Takes a lot of cranks to finally turn over. Considering it will be in the teens here in no time, that is not promising. So, this bike clearly has a ton of work done to it so I am looking to you guys on how to tune it. I BELEIVE it has the Termi full 2-2 exhaust, as there is no Cat at all (as best as I can tell), but I have no idea if it has the ECU or not. It also has a power commander and the tune notes say "dp cam - slip ons" which makes me believe the tuning was done right by a shop, but probably in summer. I know this is a very broad question with probably about a million answers, but is there any way I can tune this thing or maybe an additive I can use for better cold starts?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The Italians are pretty stingy with copper. Upgrading your wires from battery to starter and ground may help. Checking the connections to same maybe a good starting place (especially under the starer cap). These bike come very lean from the factory and not knowing what has been tune wise I can't offer much insight. Be sure your battery is up to the task and in that cold climate I would stay away from LiOn Batteries. The Power Commander in not needed on the Hyper if you take the time to figure out how to connect and program the ECU. Look in the tech section and search Punch, he is brilliant.

Welcome to the Fray!
t_bare

·
Administrator
12,913 Posts
Hi and welcome to Ducati.ms, super glad to have you here. :).

Please fill in your location information in the UserCP Edit Your Details section then enjoy the site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not really the cranking speed thats the issue, just it takes a lot of cranks and when it does fire up the exhaust is awfully dark. Seems to me it may be running too rich for the cold?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Its not really the cranking speed thats the issue, just it takes a lot of cranks and when it does fire up the exhaust is awfully dark. Seems to me it may be running too rich for the cold?
You can open your air bleeds up to lean it out at closed throttle. Make marks, take notes and photos. Open the bleeds up 1/4 turn both sides and see what happens. Good notes, marks, and photos will allow you to return were you started. Otherwise you have just opened the big can of tuning worms.

t_bare

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can open your air bleeds up to lean it out at closed throttle. Make marks, take notes and photos. Open the bleeds up 1/4 turn both sides and see what happens. Good notes, marks, and photos will allow you to return were you started. Otherwise you have just opened the big can of tuning worms.

t_bare
I'll give that a go, thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a theory on whether or not the termi exhaust was installed with the ECU; let me know if this makes sense. I read that the bike wont run without the LCD dash with the stock ECU because of anti-theft programming. But my bike doesnt seem to care about the dash, as I have left it on a shelf since I have had the bike. It's totally shattered and nothing works on it anyway. So, since the bike still runs... it may be because its the termi ECU which doesn't care about matching up with the dash?

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,217 Posts
I have a theory on whether or not the termi exhaust was installed with the ECU; let me know if this makes sense. I read that the bike wont run without the LCD dash with the stock ECU because of anti-theft programming. But my bike doesnt seem to care about the dash, as I have left it on a shelf since I have had the bike. It's totally shattered and nothing works on it anyway. So, since the bike still runs... it may be because its the termi ECU which doesn't care about matching up with the dash?
An immobilizer setting change does not require fuel map replacing in the ECU.
My 1100s HM has the Termi ECU with IMMO on.

It is possible (although not likely) that your IMMO is turned off and you have the stock exhaust fuel map.

Given that someone has already been working on your ECU (to disable the IMMO and maybe disable the lambda sensors) it is likely that the fuel map has been replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An immobilizer setting change does not require fuel map replacing in the ECU.
My 1100s HM has the Termi ECU with IMMO on.

It is possible (although not likely) that your IMMO is turned off and you have the stock exhaust fuel map.

Given that someone has already been working on your ECU (to disable the IMMO and maybe disable the lambda sensors) it is likely that the fuel map has been replaced.
Well, hopefully its disabled so I can at least ebay a dash without having to bring it into the dealer for a reprogramming.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts