Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Congratulations to Aussie Jack !!! Go get 'em big guy.....let's show these Europeans how it's done down under ;)

Great news for Jack - can't wait, now, his future is sorted, at least for the next year or two, to hit the track (whenever that may be), and show us all what he can do......

Bring it on....

·
Administrator
6,010 Posts
Dovi and Jack...interesting.
I just hope they can wrangle in those beasts.
It's been too long, since Stoner.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,046 Posts
The Roadracingworld article I read didn’t actually say who Jack was replacing???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1993 750SS
77 Posts
The Roadracingworld article I read didn’t actually say who Jack was replacing???

According to Petrux's manager, Miller's replacing Petrux. Happy for Jack. Hope Petrucci gets a ride somewhere. He worked his ass off to land his dream ride with Ducati.

·
19,046 Posts
Yes. But not getting paid as much. :)

I’ll be pulling for him but he’s just another top 5 rider on a good day. :(

·
Registered
713 Posts
Jack was on the exact same machinery in the Parmac team, wasn't he?
Yep, factory bike at the start of the year, but as a satellite rider he was tasked with testing all the new parts, good or bad and the good stuff went to the factory team riders first, the factory team has the better personnel and access to make changes faster.
More money
More pressure
but he should get better results, I'm sure i heard Petrucci and Dovizioso were both gone at the end of the year.....

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think Jack is going to do well. He could be the new Stoner. He's shown improvement and potential.

And I think doing well on this generation of Ducati is more of a personality and style fit than anything. Some people can do it but so many, including some aliens can't. I feel like it's because some bikes can't be changed enough to fit the rider and some riders can't adapt. But when styles fit bikes perfectly, you get Casey Stoner in 2007.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,261 Posts
I'm sure i heard Petrucci and Dovizioso were both gone at the end of the year.....
Who can they possibly get that's going to finish in front of Dovi on a regular basis? If they don't resign him, they're going to have to take a flyer (and pray) on an unproven talent. I'm sure they thought Bagnia was going to do better, too. Are they willing to put it all in Jack's hands?

·
Registered
1993 750SS
77 Posts
That seems to be the formula for the most part. A team comprised of a paddock veteran, and an up and coming talent. Albeit Miller has been in the series going on 5 years now. Don't think they can afford to get rid of Dovi.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Who can they possibly get that's going to finish in front of Dovi on a regular basis? If they don't resign him, they're going to have to take a flyer (and pray) on an unproven talent. I'm sure they thought Bagnia was going to do better, too. Are they willing to put it all in Jack's hands?
They were 50/50 on getting rid of Iannone or Dovizioso a few years back, they made the wrong call there, on a good bike he's fast but is getting on and doesn't have the mongrel or the hunger to push it.

Who knows, maybe Lorenzo?

·
Super Moderator
26,538 Posts
I feel if Jack was going to do great he already would have. He's had the hardware. Being on the Factory team is not going to make a difference, not with one year plus an option.
Dovi is playing a dangerous game of Hard to Get with Ducati, but both of them are stuck with each other. Ducati knows it's not going to get anyone better and Dovi knows he's got no place else to go. I doubt he'll get much more than a one pus option contract either, and he'll take it as long as Aprilia is waiting for Iannone.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I feel if Jack was going to do great he already would have. He's had the hardware. Being on the Factory team is not going to make a difference, not with one year plus an option.
Dovi is playing a dangerous game of Hard to Get with Ducati, but both of them are stuck with each other. Ducati knows it's not going to get anyone better and Dovi knows he's got no place else to go. I doubt he'll get much more than a one pus option contract either, and he'll take it as long as Aprilia is waiting for Iannone.
I'm kinda tired so my brain is misfiring a bit (even more than usual!) ... it may just be a typo, but in your post you said "I doubt he'll get much more than a one pus option contract either".

PUS? Or is it typo? Or? I'm trying to keep up! ... Really, I am! ... :)

·
19,046 Posts
I think Jack is going to do well. He could be the new Stoner.
Lol. No way. Stoner never started out as being the new anyone. Stoner was a freaking amazing from day one. When he started on Honda he was freaking amazing but constantly crashed on the pos Honda. As soon as he got on the Ducati with it’s killer speed on the straights he jelled and kicked ass.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,096 Posts
I think Jack is going to do well. He could be the new Stoner. He's shown improvement and potential.

And I think doing well on this generation of Ducati is more of a personality and style fit than anything. Some people can do it but so many, including some aliens can't. I feel like it's because some bikes can't be changed enough to fit the rider and some riders can't adapt. But when styles fit bikes perfectly, you get Casey Stoner in 2007.
Stoner was like a fish in water during his first season with de Desmosedici, Jack has been on that bike for a while.
I think that Jack is good. But IMHO you can't compare him with Stoner.

I agree!

My hypothesis around Dovi's game: He is seriously considering retirement.

He looks like he struggles more than he enjoys on this film:

IMHO, Money compensates all the effort, risk and pain knowing that he will not become champion while Marquez is around.
He might as well retire if the reduced salary is not worth it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Lol. No way. Stoner never started out as being the new anyone. Stoner was a freaking amazing from day one. When he started on Honda he was freaking amazing but constantly crashed on the pos Honda. As soon as he got on the Ducati with it’s killer speed on the straights he jelled and kicked ass.

Shame he was as soft as butter mentally.....

·
Registered
713 Posts
I disagree,
He's been their test mule all last year, that's the price you pay for having a factory bike in a satellite team unfortunately.

He had five podiums and has had a win, his consistency wasn't there because he had the testing to do. Put him on a factory bike in the factory team where he's receiving the best gear not figuring out what works and what doesn't for the factory riders and he will be consistently better.
Will he beat Marquez? dunno, will anyone? I guess it depends on the overall package for them all but he is still very young and there's no reason he can't win a championship, realistically, anyone on a factory bike at that level is theoretically capable, it just depends on circumstance and luck. Which, some need more than others, granted......

Stoner was australian and rode a Ducati, i think that's about all he and Miller have in common, Miller is naturally gifted on a motorbike, Stoner was basically a freak, doing things that no one else could comprehend, to a lesser degree than Marquez is now but still, a flawed genius. No mental strength to speak of, after Rossi stuffed it up the inside at the corkscrew he went to pieces and never fully recovered, his second title was because he was on a Honda, pissing and moaning the whole time about how he was treated like a product...... For what he made they could treat me like anything they want! home schooled, handed EVERYTHING he ever wanted and walked away sooking.
Even after retirement he fell out with both Ducati and Honda over nonsense that shouldn't matter to any rational person, but to him of course.....

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well my point was styles fit bikes and some really good riders can't seem to ride Ducati well.

Look at some facts: riders who ride Ducati generally have their worst couple of years, collect their paycheck and then go somewhere else to do better. But some riders can wrangle the beast. Stoner was one. Miller is another. Yes I am totally comfortable comparing the two.

The only wildcard is how much Gigi Dall'Igna improved things in recent years.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts