Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ready to change out my 1st chain & sprocket on the bike.I'm looking to upgrade over OEM so i'm going D.I.D.Chain and quaility steel sprocket's but who makes quality steel sprocket product's name wise or are they all the same ??

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
+1 I have the same one also. It sure looks spindly but it works.

If you are not changing the gearing, the chain can be joined off the bike. Just take the old one to the shop with you.

Have a good one.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You.

A big thank's you guys,this is very good news,i'm going to order the back sprocket and also the front sprocket,A black D.I.D chain to match should do the trick.:D

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Consider changing your gearing while you're at it Jet.
Are you happy with it the way it is ?

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Thanks for the info on Sprocket Center. I just ordered both sprockets and a DID chain from them too. I went with the stock 15 front but went up two on the rear. Stock is 42, I went with a 44. Someone from Sprocket Center called and said since I was going up 2 on the rear they recommended going to a 104 link chain instead of the standard 102.
Seemed very professional and helpful.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Sprocket Center is very good to deal with. I've used them a few times now. Great package deal prices. Keep in mind; even though they are going to cut the chain for you, it does not come riveted. You will still need to do that.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Sprocket Center is very good to deal with. I've used them a few times now. Great package deal prices. Keep in mind; even though they are going to cut the chain for you, it does not come riveted. You will still need to do that.
Yeah. I begged them to rivet the chain and that I was assuming the risk. No go there.

I do have a local indy shop that will join chains for $10. I sent my Wife in there last time forgetting the odd fact that the chain was off the bike. I got a call in short order to verify if I was sane or not. =)

Also, a neighbor had good luck with the EK chains and screw type master link:
http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1142281/ek-525-screw-type-connecting-link-.html

Have a good one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used Sprocket Center too and the prices were excellent along with free shipping. I went with the stock tooth numbers in the AFAM sprockets and the DID 525ZVMX. What chain did you go with again?

I did buy the EK chain breaker/Rivet tool though and an extra master link just in case. I really didn't want to but couldn't find anyone local to rivet the chain for me.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Consider changing your gearing while you're at it Jet.
Are you happy with it the way it is ?
,,,Hello Buddy,For me mark i really like the gearing and wouldn't change a thing and yes sir i'm really happy w/ the way it is for me,thank you for the note.:),,,,Before i order this i got to take care of my leakie Ohlins,I need to know how much $$$ it cost to fix and charge it up.I've hit a wall trying to find a rebuild kit.:(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah. I begged them to rivet the chain and that I was assuming the risk. No go there.

I do have a local indy shop that will join chains for $10. I sent my Wife in there last time forgetting the odd fact that the chain was off the bike. I got a call in short order to verify if I was sane or not. =)
Riveting a chain isn't all that difficult. You will need a riveting tool and a dial micrometer. I bought a very nice micrometer from the friendly local used tool guy (knows me by name...)

When pressing the side plate on and bulging the tip of the rivets the real trick is just to go slowly and measure often.

Photo of measuring how far the plate is pressed on

Reto

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Good chain kits come with two little spacer plates that make a micrometer superfluous.

·
7,733 Posts
Ducati sells s replacement kit, ie sprockets and chain, that just slip on. AFAIK, they are D.I.D. products. When I replaced mine that's what I did. I thought the price was reasonable, and no measuring/riveting to worry about. :)

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Riveting a chain isn't all that difficult. You will need a riveting tool and a dial micrometer. I bought a very nice micrometer from the friendly local used tool guy (knows me by name...)

When pressing the side plate on and bulging the tip of the rivets the real trick is just to go slowly and measure often.

Photo of measuring how far the plate is pressed on

Reto
It is not some much the procedure, but the tool. A good tool is close to $100. That's 10 chains or almost 1/4million miles. ;) It is one of the few things that I let someone do for me. Given the good person doing it, it doesn't hurt (too much).

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
A good tool is close to $100. That's 10 chains
Jeez Tony you'll have to start sending chains over to me and I'll knock 'em out over here for sixty quid each.
We could make a fortune ;)

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Too funny. That was in reference for the $10 that the local guy charges to join my chains.

Although, I could use a fortune (just a small one). =)

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
The way to make a small fortune??

Start with a large fortune and open a motorcycle shop....

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Haha. As much as I dislike auto / bike shops, I definitely know that I would not do any better.

Have a good one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts