Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup I know its my first post and so far of all things I gotta ask about this because its got me puzzled.
So on to the details:

Bought a new 1198 in the pearl white. Took it in for the 600 mi service. Pretty much just commuter miles to and from work and the weekend outing with the fellas. Definitely enjoying the bike over the RC-51 I used to have, I can appreciate how much slimmer the Ducati is over the RC, makes it look like a fat mule. Well last week I was thinking to myself "Wow, I can't believe it has been 3,000 miles already so I took it to the dealership to ask if there is a necessary oil change or something before the 7,500 mi service. I also bought a rear stand for the single swingarm and was assured that there isn't one required but would be recommended. (note: in reference to stand,I didn't realize you can add sliders to the swing arm and just use a regular stand until after no big deal but just something to think about if you like regular stands).

So off to the house I go happy as can be and go about my weekly routine. Later in the week I was at work late and finally got off looking forward to a chilly ride home on my new bike and to my surprise? An oil puddle (YES A PUDDLE) next to my bike. Mind you its a well lit area and I did not see any damage done to the bike itself. No fall no nothing. So, I look more closely to identify the issue and can't make it out. I didn't try to start it for any reason b/c I was concerned it would damage the engine. I also noticed an abnormal lean to the bike. Funny, there was no oil leak throughout the day or excessive lean to the bike that I saw throughout the day. I had walked out like 3 times to check it and nothing. I call the wife and ask her to bring me the rear stand that I had just recently purchased earlier on the week and wait patiently. When she arrived my boss and I rolled it into the bay in a better lit area and put her on the stand, cleaned the oil puddle (hazmat) and looked at it further. The discovery?

There is a crack where the side stand and the engine case cover meet. How does that happen? I took it to the dealer the next day and they asked if I had been spinning the bike around on its side stand. Umm no. Why the hell would I do that? I like my things nice. You won't keep anything nice treating it like that. The next question was "Do you sit on your bike with the side stand down?" I suppose the technical answer is yes if you look at it that I have to sit on the bike to stand it up and take the stand up or when I stop the bike to put the stand down but no I don't just sit in my bike and just try to look cool or anything. They tell me that the side stand isn't made to hold the rider and the bike up. I have my opinion on that but either way a crack on the engine case seems serious enough to me. I was told that pictures were taken and that they have to be sent to the corporate office for warranty determination. To me seems like a no brainer, the bike is 4 months old, has 3012 mi on it and has a crack on the engine case cover. No damage to the bike other than where the problem area I see. No indication of a fall tip over or anything. No scratches etc. Either way I see a lot of labor to change out an engine case. For something this new I would expect it to be covered under warranty. Anyone else had an experience like this or got some good info? What if DNA says hey umm no we ain't covering that. Who do I talk to/Contact then? Kinda frustrating because I expect the worse and seem to get no luck on situations like this.

Currently I am still waiting for determination due to Thanksgiving holiday. Also of which I hope you all have had a good one. Thanks

·
Registered
516 Posts
was your bike outside??

was it possable someone sat on your bike and did something stupid like jumped up and down on it with it on the kickstand. either way id say it was defect in the case and should be covered.

A pic would be great to see what your talking about

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
On the positive side most major warranty issues now days have to be approved by corporate rep. Changing out a case is a big deal. On the other side of the coin that is exactly why nothing I own goes to a dealer for service or repair. Yep even some warranty issues. They fix one thing a screw up two more. There is probably one person there that knows what he is doing and still gives a crap after the glamor of being the guy wears off. Chances of you getting that person on a good day, yea right. My philosophy is, get the best tools you can afford, buy the manual and one other reference source, do your home work, screw it up three times and you will still break even. See you actually will try to get it perfect. Any one else it is close enough or a wipe off if you are lucky. I am not saying you should try to rebuild the engine right off, but not every thing is rocket science.
Sorry you hit a nerve with the post. Good luck on the warranty issue. Sure sounds like a defect in (materials) and workmanship to me. Maybe DNA will come out with a rear stand back pac transport accessory to protect the cases should you want to ever park your bike. I know a pressure sensor on the side stand that would set of an audible alarm sequence when you approach an unsafe load limit. Yea I actually say a guy not to long ago spin his GSX around in a parking lot space on the side stand, so it does happen. Naw no one at a dealership would do that.

·
Registered
406 Posts
was your bike outside??

was it possable someone sat on your bike and did something stupid like jumped up and down on it with it on the kickstand. either way id say it was defect in the case and should be covered.

Dealership mechanics spin bikes on sidestands all the time, the floor space is limited and there are too many bikes crammed in tight, so to turn one around it is the easiest way. I am trying to think where sidestands are mounted on most sport bikes and I can't, but it seems like mounting the stand to the engine case may not be the best idea.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Dealership mechanics spin bikes on sidestands all the time, the floor space is limited and there are too many bikes crammed in tight, so to turn one around it is the easiest way. I am trying to think where sidestands are mounted on most sport bikes and I can't, but it seems like mounting the stand to the engine case may not be the best idea.
a lot of other bike manufacturers, mount their stand to the frame since it reaches down that low.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
was your bike outside??

You're right I should have taken pics before taking it in but it ended up being an after thought when I put this post up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I know on the few other bike I have owned in the past the mount was part of the frame. It was like that on my old SRAD and I think even on the RC51 as well. I did look around the dealer ship and looked at a few of the other 1098, 1098 Streetfighter and the 1198 and saw the mount on the engine case. Anyone able to take a pic of the stand mount point on an 1198 for me? A pic would probably be better esp from a rear angle showing where it connects to the case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK well in regards to warranty, how long does it usually take for a response/determination from DNA? Should it be more than 1 week?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i'd imagine your claim will take a bit,its the question of if it is a warranty or perhaps an insurance claim.once its apart one should have a look at the case casting to determine if its flawed where its broke if they deny.if it isn't, file an insurance claim for vandalism

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here is the way I see it. You bought an $18,000 motorcycle with a 2-year warranty. It has a cracked crankcase you shouldn't second guess yourself. They need to fix it. It doesn't matter if it was inside or outside and you weren't watching it 24-7 and it’s not your responsibility to investigate the issue. You got a faulty casting and they need to fix it. Don't give up or back down. Good luck.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Here is the way I see it. You bought an $18,000 motorcycle with a 2-year warranty. It has a cracked crankcase you shouldn't second guess yourself. They need to fix it. It doesn't matter if it was inside or outside and you weren't watching it 24-7 and it’s not your responsibility to investigate the issue. You got a faulty casting and they need to fix it. Don't give up or back down. Good luck.

Why is it automatically a warranty issue?
Because the owner paid $18,000? Good luck with that arguement.
The damage could be due to abuse. It may be a bad casting. Neither is a foregone conclusion.

Yes, it sucks that the case is cracked. And If it were mine, I'd be extremely pissed. But, I would talk to the dealer, hear them out, and explain how I see the situation. I would not expect the dealer or the factory rep. to automatically volunteer to pay the repair cost. I would want to, but realistically, I would expect to shoulder some of the burden to prove it was not something I had done (or had been done by an unknown third party)

The cause of the case failure can be determined quite effectively through metallographic failure analysis. There are resources available for this. But, do remember that the report may find that the case failure is due to excessive forces. i.e. some 300 lb. douchebag was jumping up and down on the footpegs while you were at work.

Just by talking intelligently to the other side will go a long way in how they decide to deal with you. If you act like you have no recourse other than their determination of failure, you leave yourself exposed. Show them you are willing to do what it takes to find the true cause of failure, not just take some mechanics opinion on why it failed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why is it automatically a warranty issue?
Because the owner paid $18,000? Good luck with that arguement.
The damage could be due to abuse. It may be a bad casting. Neither is a foregone conclusion.

Yes, it sucks that the case is cracked. And If it were mine, I'd be extremely pissed. But, I would talk to the dealer, hear them out, and explain how I see the situation. I would not expect the dealer or the factory rep. to automatically volunteer to pay the repair cost. I would want to, but realistically, I would expect to shoulder some of the burden to prove it was not something I had done (or had been done by an unknown third party)

The cause of the case failure can be determined quite effectively through metallographic failure analysis. There are resources available for this. But, do remember that the report may find that the case failure is due to excessive forces. i.e. some 300 lb. douchebag was jumping up and down on the footpegs while you were at work.

Just by talking intelligently to the other side will go a long way in how they decide to deal with you. If you act like you have no recourse other than their determination of failure, you leave yourself exposed. Show them you are willing to do what it takes to find the true cause of failure, not just take some mechanics opinion on why it failed.
Sorry my bad. My speed reading wasn't to good until I read your post then I went back and re-read 1st post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Indeed, the have to solve it 4 U. Its there problem.
If the problem cold be coused by spinning the bike, the heve to be worned before producing a new vacuumproduction part e.g. the 1098 its lighter by this new producing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts