Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:surprise:It happened... Once again, my eyes glossed over a text from a fellow rider stating "I Regret selling my hyper 1100 and wish I had kept it." I just had to laugh as I have heard that from 2 of my very close friends, one went to the air cooled multi and said he would end up back on an Hyper 1100 while the other just claims he didn't realize how good that bike was until he bought his next two different bikes. I have seen those words all over various forums when a Hyper 1100 is brought up. I thought I would post this in general chat as the Hyper side of things feels a bit slower than the Multi section I was used to :crying:

I know there are a few of you guys out there who***gasp*** sold their hyper so lets hear it! What was it for? Was the next girl worth it or did you go crawling back to the OG Hyper :grin2: (Better yet, would you?) I find that I dearly miss my 13MultiPP for faster paced long rides and contemplate trading Hyper in but I can't help but have a hell of a good time riding the Hyper EVERY SINGLE time I fire up those nuts and bolts in a blender and let the Termi's breath. I have the 12 Evo Sp Corse, Dp cam, exhaust, stacks, PC and stuff so I imagine that doesn't hurt. First gear wheelies literally make me giggle... My friends like "Nice clutch up, so smooth" to which I reply what clutch :grin2: This is the stunt bike I always wished my 600rr was>:)

If you did sell the hyper and the next bike was everything you wanted and then some? Where did you find this unicorn and what is it called?

Reactions: Spex

·
Registered
70 Posts
interesting. i am not sure it's a stereotype, i dunno if it's true.

i test rode an 1100 evo sp, and ended up buying a 2010 iteration this spring. (some may remember reading about the little front brake issue i initially had.) it shares the garage w/a '78 duc darmah, a '95 buell s2 that's making ~100whp/95ft-lbs torque, and a highly modified '00 suzuki dr650 motard.

thanks to better pads and a brake bleed, the hypermotard's front brake issue is behind me; and i now have put ~1500 miles on the evo sp. but i am just not feeling it. i thought i'd be wanting to ride it so much more than my other bikes, but it's just not happening. it may be just a bit too "hyper" for me - i think it's aptly named. even the 180hp ktm 1290 superduke that i have ridden seems more relaxed.

so, i am now contemplating selling it. i had bought a new 6.4g ca cycleworks tank kit, full stainless mivv exhaust, and rapidbike evo fuel module; i've never installed them, don't really have much desire to. other bikes i am interested in that i have ridden and were considering prior to getting the hypermotard are the '13 and up ktm 690 duke, '07-'10 aprilia tuono, and the '92-'98 duc ss/sp. i'd also be interested in trying the '06 up duc gt1000, which i have never ridden. (i'd be all over the 1290 superduke, but my budget precludes it.)

if i sell my hypermotard, i doubt i will ever want another one. maybe another 1-2k miles on mine, and i will "get" it. but i am not so sure...

ymmv,

doug s.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I might be selling my 1100S to get the new Super Duke 1290R.
Will I miss the hyper maybe but its the torque of the hyper makes
it special for me. The 1290 Super Duke should have no shortage
of Torque.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought my 08 Hyper S last May on total impulse- I had planned to go test ride it to see what all the Hype was about (see what I did there?). I only took it for a very short ride and be on my way with errands to run, but was totally hooked, especially with the deal the dealer made- HD dealer that normally doesn't sell Ducati. I was totally smitten, but yet she's a beast and wants to buck me off every time I ride her and although I can get way past 8 seconds, I just don't feel I'll be keeping her. You see, she's really a one trick pony and all my other bikes have several different types of riding I can take them on, but this one is just waaaaaaaaay too nice to put luggage on and scratch the paint- much less the horrible fuel range compared to my Honda VFR which has once seen 295 miles on a tank (I still can't believe that happened out in the middle of nowhere Safford, AZ in the middle of the night!) So, I really want a Multi and just can't afford one yet, but that's really the bike I need and will replace this with. Several uses and a much longer fuel range. Sadly, it'll duplicate my VFR so that'll probably go as well. We'll see...

·
Registered
662 Posts
I bought my 08 Hyper S last May on total impulse- I had planned to go test ride it to see what all the Hype was about
You could be describing my experience there. On the market for a KTM 990 SM, test rode a Hyper just to see what's what, ended up buying a Hyper S.

After three years, I already know I'll never sell it. I may buy other bikes to satisfy other needs (touring, track etc) but there will always be a spot in my garage for the Hyper's rawness and purity. There will always be faster bikes but I can't see anyone ever making another bike quite like the 1st-gen.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
@ ClarkLife- I had an air-cooled 1100 hyper. It was great! But heavy! I now have a KTM 690 Sum-Dero- ( that being an Enduro with a set of 17" rims mounted - now in SUMO mode! Much faster than Ducatis' Hypers..
Theoretically , since I haven't ridden it in months- but, I will! Fastest bike I've piloted around a tight turning road course !

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I ride an M900 Monster. I have, over the last 8 years, testridden about 85 different bikes, for fun and info. The most fun bike I have ever tested was the HM1100S, and there's a pretty good chance that, should I ever need to replace my Monster, a good used HM1100S would be my choice.

PhilB

·
Registered
70 Posts
@ ClarkLife- I had an air-cooled 1100 hyper. It was great! But heavy! I now have a KTM 690 Sum-Dero- ( that being an Enduro with a set of 17" rims mounted - now in SUMO mode! Much faster than Ducatis' Hypers..
Theoretically , since I haven't ridden it in months- but, I will! Fastest bike I've piloted around a tight turning road course !
you can say many things about the 1100 hypermotards. but heavy is not one of them. sure, it's heaver than a 330lb ktm 690 single. but at 377lbs stock (362 if you replace the cat exhaust), that is still far from heavy. and w/95hp, that's just under 4lbs/1hp (w/stock exhaust). the ktm is just under 5lbs/1hp. add a 160 lb rider, and it's 5.65lbs/1hp vs 7.3lbs/1hp in the hyper's favor.

doug s.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
okay- my KTM weighs less than 300 lbs -and my !!00 was north of 400 - I have no idea what scale you are using ! don't care ! Peace - see you out there -

·
Bon Vivant
10,917 Posts
you can say many things about the 1100 hypermotards. but heavy is not one of them. sure, it's heaver than a 330lb ktm 690 single. but at 377lbs stock (362 if you replace the cat exhaust), that is still far from heavy. and w/95hp, that's just under 4lbs/1hp (w/stock exhaust). the ktm is just under 5lbs/1hp. add a 160 lb rider, and it's 5.65lbs/1hp vs 7.3lbs/1hp in the hyper's favor.

doug s.
Where'd you get that 377 pound number? If its a ducati figure then figure this: The Streetfighter 1098S is has a Ducati claimed spec of 367 pounds dry and has 155HP. Too bad HM...
Can you say "3rd gear power wheelie!"

·
Registered
70 Posts
Where'd you get that 377 pound number? If its a ducati figure then figure this: The Streetfighter 1098S is has a Ducati claimed spec of 367 pounds dry and has 155HP. Too bad HM...
Can you say "3rd gear power wheelie!"
the spec comes from ducati and from every article written by it. so, the streetfighter has more hp and is lighter still. so what. it still doesn't mean the hm is a heavy bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
okay- my KTM weighs less than 300 lbs -and my !!00 was north of 400 - I have no idea what scale you are using ! don't care ! Peace - see you out there -
i am not using any scale, just the published specs. sorry, i was wrong about the enduro - ktm lists it at 315 dry, 15 lbs lighter than the duke. that improves its power to weight ratio to 4.7lbs/1 hp from 5lbs/1 hp.

yes, the ktm singles are certainly lighter than the hm - no argument from me. doesn't mean hm is a heavy bike.

hippo gnu ears! :)

doug s.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It also depends on what year/model you have ridden. I took out an 08 base hyper with no mods. I never thought "this is heavy" especially when I lifted the front in third but it is heavier than your typical motard style bike. The nice thing is you can then go to the EVOlution generation with more power and a pretty hefty chunk of weight removed. Slide into an SP for a little less weight(And KILLER components!) After that, you can go full retard like me and get an EVO SP with Velocity Stacks, Cams, Full system, Lithium Battery, 14tooth front sprocket that is dyno tuned and I guarantee nobody is going to ride my bike and come back saying "that is heavy" I will toss old girl on the scales when I finish a couple pending modifications to get a good WET weight #.

Do I miss my pikes peak multi? Yes. Will I get another? Yes. Will I sell the Hyper? I just don't see it ever happening because I literally giggle everytime I ride it and my last trip to deals gap showed me where that bike shines. What an absolute carving monster>:)

It's funny you mention not touring on the hyper. I am trying to turn it into a touring bike:wink2:

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Everyone loves their Bikes ! Gravity and Math do not lie.

My 1100 Hyper S - was heavy compared to a true SUMO. Wet weight was surprising !

A KTM 690 SM or SMC , feels like 1/2 of what an old gen. 1100 Hyper feels like... in any venue.. Take it on the highway ( rather be on the Ducati )

All nice bikes !

·
Registered
70 Posts
well, i finally sold my 2010 hym evo sp. regarding the original poster's comment about his eyes glossing over about another text from a fellow rider stating "I Regret selling my hyper 1100 and wish I had kept it."... well i can safely say that's something you will never hear from me, or read from me. i am so glad mine is gone, and i can't imagine ever wanting to even ride another one, let alone own one. i just never got that bike, my only regret is that i did not take a longer test ride and that i ever bought it in the first place. i read somewhere about it in a review (and about the hyperstrada as well), that starting out from a stop, it was like you would either pull a wheelie or stall out. i couldn't have said it better myself. (is the hyperstrada really also like that?)

now, i am interested in checking out a used multistrada 1200, or a gt1000, or another mfr, like the gen-2 aprilia tuono (or rsv w/risers); or the 13+ ktm 690 duke. i have ridden the ktm and the aprilia's; anyone have comments on the two ducati's i mentioned? if i could afford even a used 1290 superduke, i'd just buy it w/o bothering checking out anything else. that's the closest i've ever come to actually becoming a physical part of a motorcycle when i was riding it.

doug s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts