Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm off to pick up my bike tomorrow. It's been in the shop since last December and the riding season might have 6-8 weeks left. But that's another story...

However, the reason it was in the dealer was to have one of the fork oil seals replaced under warranty, now both the Ohlins fork oil seals have been replaced.

But the main reason was to have the cylinders and heads recoated. The heat discoloured them so badly that they were a variety of shades ranging from black to toffee coloured. Anyway Ducati Canada covered the parts (except for the head gaskets!) and labour to get the engine out and recoat the heads and barrels. I chose to have them done in black, it should look better, and if it happens again it won't show as badly. I had people ask me why it was leaking oil from the heads it was so dark!

While it was apart I decided to make a couple of changes, so I had the HyperMotard race cams installed, as well as 2mm oversize valves and a healthy dose of porting and polishing to help the engine breathe better. They also set up my Power Commander so I hope I'll get a nice efficient running engine. Oh I also had the headlight rim coated black as well.

I already have TPO-R Beast for intakes and the race Termis, so it should be a nice set up.

The tech said he was very pleased with it and the mid range pulls HARD now.

I'll get the Dyno charts and numbers tomorrow, so I'll post them as soon as I get them.

So if there any Albertans that want to go for a ride before the weather turns, just let me know...

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
right on dave!

such a drag that you've had your baby away for so long, but great to hear she's coming home:D

looking forward to hearing your results too - i've got a set of hyper cams coming to me soon to be installed with my 7,500 mile service (along with valve guides and maybe some other fun while they're in there...)

post up piccies when ya get her back in the stable!

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Lookin forward to seeing the final outcome Dave. Good to have you back on the roads again.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I Very much doubt that the neighbours are looking forward to hearing more :)

I just heard that it now produces (a surprisingly low) 88hp on the dyno. Only 3 more than a Paul smart. I'll scan the charts and post them tomorrow along with my first impressions. Then the photo shoot on Wednesday.

I'm not going to get much sleep tonight.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh god I love my bike!

I got it back, had an uneventful ride home. Which is good because it's not entirely er legal or safe.

Have a look at the cracks in the tyres!

But first have a look at the dyno results

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi Dave,
Bike looks great ! And I'm sure, with the lighter flywheel it will rev smoothly...

On the dyno, the 2 graphs are before / after?
The difference is big valve / porting / racecams ?

Did you consider high compression , big bore?

What's with the tires?

cheers

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Dave, can you post a few more photos of the whole bike please..?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
517 Posts
Impressive work on your bike!!!
But what's up with the tires?
Why are they cracked like that?

~k

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I might know what happened to the tyre...

It was about -35 degrees that fateful day in December when I wheeled it to the trailer that took it to the dealer. I attempted to bump it over the concrete hump in the car park, the one that stops people parking their cars from going too far. It didn't go over, so I got some help to lift the front wheel over the obstacle.

My guess is that it was so cold and brittle that it just cracked. It's all I can think of, shitty, but there you go.

Needless to say I haven't been riding. I might have some chance to retain control if the rear blew out but not the front. Especially the way I ride. Imagine under heavy braking or cornering and the front tyre shreds itself!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks for the comments guys.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I love the black headlight... powder coated? Looks awesome.. :D

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, they're powdercoated.

With the gauges lowered, thanks to Dietrich, the front is looking pretty good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts