Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been riding the 701 Enduro a lot lately and yesterday I had it out for a ride, gas, and inspection then directly afterward took the Multi out for a ride, gas, and inspection.

I've always thought of the stock Multi seat as firm but when going from the 701 to the Multi it feels like I'm riding a plush armchair in comparison. The Huskvarna seat is a brick.

It's also odd going from a relatively light bike that has larger diameter wheels (lot's of gyroscopic force slowing down the steering) to a heavier bike that nonetheless feels a lot more flickable (kindof like it's heavier and lighter at the same time... which is a really weird feeling).

·
Registered
741 Posts
The stock seat, on my '12 was fine, for long (400+ miles) day rides, but after 10-14 days on it...it SUCKED! SO, I took it apart and installed a 1.25" Purple seat pad, covered it in .250" seat foam and put a new cover on it. I can't believe how comfortable it is. I had to cut a pattern in the seat foam (NOT easy), then carve the Purple pad to match the pattern (easy) and VOILA' a long range comfort seat!

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use an Air Hawk for tours that are longer than a week... those longer touring rides of 14+ hour days one after the other require something more than basic seats (or even aftermarket seats... I have one of those on my Tiger).

·
Registered
515 Posts
So I've been riding the 701 Enduro a lot lately and yesterday I had it out for a ride, gas, and inspection then directly afterward took the Multi out for a ride, gas, and inspection.

I've always thought of the stock Multi seat as firm but when going from the 701 to the Multi it feels like I'm riding a plush armchair in comparison. The Huskvarna seat is a brick.

It's also odd going from a relatively light bike that has larger diameter wheels (lot's of gyroscopic force slowing down the steering) to a heavier bike that nonetheless feels a lot more flickable (kindof like it's heavier and lighter at the same time... which is a really weird feeling).
This is an interesting perspective because I’ve heard people say a 19” makes no difference. 😉

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,832 Posts
The 701 has a 21” front wheel.

I had a 690 (the 701s orange sibling) for about a month at the beginning of this year. Great bike but I didn’t have the desire for the kind of off road riding that bike is capable of. Guess the thought of riding off-road on a bike sounded more fun than the reality of it. Another remarkable thing about the bike is how horrifically uncomfortable the stock seat was.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
We met 1,150 miles from our homes.

There was no truck or trailer involved in getting the Multistrada there.

After three days of about 6-8 hours each (totalling 600 miles) the Multistrada V4S rider (me) has not complained about his seat or fatigue once, The other two guys talk about it like it’s this weeks hot topic on a 24 hour news channel.

The 2020 KTM 790 Adventure Rally and 2021 Honda CRF 450RL both have aftermarket seats that the guys say is vastly supperior in comfort to the stock seats they had. The V4S has the stock seat.

I am much slower in the sand, loose gravel and tight switchbacks, (these guys both grew up riding dirt bikes in sand dunes, I didn’t) but if we measured our progress by miles able to be traveled , I would easily be 200 miles ahead of them by now.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A motocross seat was never meant to sit on 😂
True enough... the 701 enduro isn't really a motocross bike tho... it's one of those "not entirely sure what it is" bikes. Too heavy and wrong suspension for motox... too heavy for full-on enduro, non-optimized setup for ADV.

I see it as a stem cell... it's a great base in need of differentiation. I'm turning it into a lightweight 20/80 (20% tarmac) adventure bike with farkles like an adv cockpit, less brick like seat, and other needed bits.

And yea... 21" wheel... nice offroad except for it's more road oriented knobbies (which make it skate way more than I'd like offroad even at lower air pressure).

Reactions: motoman2

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Multistrada 950, 2018 Desert Sled
284 Posts
Def not a motocross bike, but similar seat to the 450, meaning narrow and not tractor seat like, which in reality for off road is what you need (narrow) so you can slide and shift back and forth on the pegs as you go up and down hills (and jumps!). Sounds like you are making a fun toy!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
There's still worst than a 690/701, try the 2-3-450`s.

I suspect it's ktm way of forcing us to ride standing up 👆

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Def not a motocross bike, but similar seat to the 450, meaning narrow and not tractor seat like, which in reality for off road is what you need (narrow) so you can slide and shift back and forth on the pegs as you go up and down hills (and jumps!). Sounds like you are making a fun toy!
Agree... I really liked it offroad and the weight wasn't as major an issue as I was afraid it would be for my offroad riding style (I'm not a big air guy... but was able to manhandle it through the woods even bushwhacking in places without killing myself). However... I'm targeting the Transamerica trail (cross US East to West primarily on dirt)... and my ass would hate me forever if I did it on the OEM seat.

And while I was ragging on the seat... I spent a couple days riding it in Northwest PA (some fan trails in the Alleghany National Forest) a few weeks ago and while I was sore by the end I did survive it.

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
I have a KTM 690 SMCR, which is very similar to your 701 Enduro. I went with the Seat Concepts upgrade and I can say it made a big difference.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a KTM 690 SMCR, which is very similar to your 701 Enduro. I went with the Seat Concepts upgrade and I can say it made a big difference.
After riding the 701 on the street - I REALLLY want to get a set of SM wheels... must be a blast.

Reactions: Gadgetech

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
After riding the 701 on the street - I REALLLY want to get a set of SM wheels... must be a blast.
Yep, sumos are really fun. They are also practical on less than perfect roads like we have in the NE.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts