Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I have a beautifull '95 900SS that has, right now, 30053km's on it.
I'm the second owner and the guy I purchased it from was very good to her.
I have a couple of electrical gremlins which bug me and I want to correct. I realise no one can diagnose my bike over the net but I'm hoping someone may say 'Oh yeah it's almost always that, so check there first'
#1. My indicator light for my side stand didn't work when I got the bike but a month later it worked for a week then stopped again.
#2. My indicator for neutral has never worked.
Two little things that peeve me and must be corrected for my universe to operate with a little more harmony.

Also I've been thinking about re-doing the little indicator warning light assembly with LED's and a new fascia that is visble during daylight hours. Unless someone knows of a plug and play type of unit I could just buy.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Hi guys
I have a beautifull '95 900SS that has, right now, 30053km's on it.
I'm the second owner and the guy I purchased it from was very good to her.
I have a couple of electrical gremlins which bug me and I want to correct. I realise no one can diagnose my bike over the net but I'm hoping someone may say 'Oh yeah it's almost always that, so check there first'
#1. My indicator light for my side stand didn't work when I got the bike but a month later it worked for a week then stopped again.
#2. My indicator for neutral has never worked.
Two little things that peeve me and must be corrected for my universe to operate with a little more harmony.

Also I've been thinking about re-doing the little indicator warning light assembly with LED's and a new fascia that is visble during daylight hours. Unless someone knows of a plug and play type of unit I could just buy.
There's a thread in this forum about an LED dashboard conversion someone did. It was all pretty straight forward except for the fuel light. I feel like that needed a diode or something to work right. I'll bet you can find it using the search function.

Neutral indicator lights are also a pretty common issue, usually the neutral switch being poorly aligned or broken. Also probably pretty easy to find using the search function. You can still get the switches from Ducati I believe, though you may need to re-wire the connector.

The sidestand switch is a push-button, and IIRC it's the same switch used on the rear brake light. Try activating the plunger manually with a small point screwdriver, it may need to be adjusted (screwing it further into the kickstand bracket); also check the electrical connection into the harness near the front cylinder. If you bridge the two points into the wiring harness you should see the light illuminate. After that you might try swapping in the brake light switch to see if the problem persists.

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
1994 900SS CR, 2002 998 Trackbike
304 Posts
Measure the switches before you order new ones though. Because my neutral light also didn't work (half the time) and I spent ages trying to track down a problem with the switch or wiring connectors, until I discovered a broken solder connection right on the little circuit board that holds all the lights. Since then, a second connection in the same location broke on me so I re-soldered all of them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The barrel connectors which are tie-wrapped to the frame just above the switch can be corroded / plain-old not making a good connection. Providing the light bulb is not burned out. That was problem with mine. The female barrels are spread apart and the male barrels were not making good contact. Used duck billed pliers to squeeze females back closed and now works perfect.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys
All good info. let the tinkering begin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts