Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I 1st picked up this 07 SC in late 07 it was a survivor of a front wheel wash out on the pavement and a slide thru the gravel. So 1st order of business was to take off the broken and scratched pieces ( all right side) and then make a plan. The 1st incarnation only included getting rid of things that did not suit my preference that would have to go ..damaged or not.

Signal lites, horn, hideous rear tail lite and plate mount combo, bogus pollution gear, monstrous air box. I also slated the batt box for later removal and relocation. So I removed \ replaced the above in the 1st year or so and rode the heck out of it.

Once I decided to pull the engine and get serious with making this machine faster and better handling I began to think about what to do with the batt box. I knew it would go up under the tank but left it to 2010 ....

I'll say this up front ...unlike Rossie and 848 I am not an architect, artist , engineer or machinist. A back yard hack with some jack of all trade skills with a waay back in the day racing and wrenching history and suffering (if that's what you call it) with a pretty good case of ADHD with a hint of Alzheimer's (from birth) ...:crazy:..

When I plan a project I dont put it on paper (excluding a parts list). I stand back and figure the overall style and placement of all the major components , engine, exhaust, tank , seat, front end , etc ..figuring I will fly by the seat of my pants and keep my fingers crossed with all the connecting stuff

Case in point. The batt box. I knew it was gonna go where the air box used to live but knew I would be dealing with very limited space as I as going to carbs ..with the horizontal one being up quite high to get the float bowl level and squeeze in a short velocity stack. Also mounting the RR behind the steering head which meant limited space between the RR ( and its large connectors) and the rear cylinder intake valve covers. All of a sudden my space is really shrinking so I had to figure out a battery. Ending up with a military spec Odessey glass matt 200cca unit that was fairly compact. Once I decided on that I had to design the box around it onto which would mount the coils , starter solenoid, and circuit breaker for the Mosfet RR. I managed all of that with just enuf clearance over and next (2mm) to the H-carb who's throttle cable had to get over the RR and around the box in addition to having less than an inch clearance between the underside of the tank and the neg batt post. Add to that the bulk of my copious and large guage grounds and power supplies , throttle cable with its large 2 into 1 junction (being replaced by a single pull), harness components and plugs and it whittles away like crazy at available space. :eek:

Then it hit me . The friggin' horn ! And this aint just any horn .its the over-sized 136db Stabel Nautilis . Dang! I had forgotton I bought this long time ago and wasnt gonna use the stock units! Like I said I'm a scatter brain! Anyhow I figured I could shoe-horn it in under the box below the RR and its big plugs...crosses fingers ...

So after riding for a year thru the minefield of Vancouver hornless :eek: I waited till I took delivery of my new tig last month .... pulled the box ..welded a tab on it and put everything back together. As you can see it couldn't be any tighter with the front of the horn about 1 mm from the RR plug...wheewwhh ...what a relief !! Believe it or not it's barely visible once the tank is on !

OH NO ...forgot the horn relay needs to be mounted ! So today I drilled a 4mm hole in the box and attached a nice little Hella relay that has a flat fuse incorporated into it saving me the headache of installing a space-eatin' in-line fuse ...wired it up and heck it worked out anyhow ! Now I just have to neatin' things up a bit with some zip ties ..pull back some plugs & organize the harness and loose wires around & under the ignition switch and Bob's your mother's brother !

Also to save space (on my Monster) I designed a different cap for the FCR's that replaces the stock one. Its cnc's from billet alum. The purpose is to cut the rear half of the t-cable mount on the carb leaving only the front piece where the throttle cable is attached to the carb. The new cap is tall enuf to bolt the remaining t-cable support direclty to it. This frees up a lot more space as you can see in the pic of the left side of the box it's pretty tight.

AS you can see something that started off pretty simple turned into quite the octopuss so ......like I said...it pays to think plan ahead ! :rolleyes:

Muzz











 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,291 Posts
Experience tells me you usually start with the biggest component then work your way down to the smallest pieces...

Pipefitting 101 we call that "field fitting" when engineers need something they just write that on the blueprint "FF" and we have the freedom to do what we want /need to do.Then the engineers come along after it is done sketch it as how we done it ,and call it an "AS BUILT" or say that is how they planned it.:D

Quite satisfying after it is all done .
Nice work...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,389 Posts
Muzz-

Wow, nice job of getting it all in there. With those power cables it's a pretty dense collection of parts. And thanks for sharing the process with us, makes me feel a little better about my methods!:eek:
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top