Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just blurbing in here... I innocently took my Multi in for service and had some time to kill off and found myself wandering the store (service is in a separate building) and found myself glancing at this
SF beast I read about....
I had to sit on it to prove it was too small or cramped for my big old body.... mistake!!...it is fine!
I had to feel that the pegs were way too high for me to operate.... mistake again!!... it is fine!
I had to ask about trade ins for my Multi's (my lovely wife has a 620) ... another mistake!!... they are very accomodating!

I guess it all adds up to "honey since you don't ride your bike much anymore" (she was pretty tentative riding it.... later admitting it was not for her, not fun = what's the point?) she agreed to lose it if I agreed to do some deck building and washroom reno (bless her heart!) and, the dealer offered me a fair price for them so...

I thought I would bring one of the bikes down on Saturday so it would be just a ride in my old and ride home my new (the long way of course) and as luck would have it... the weather cleared and they offered a test ride (I had pretty much made up my mind by then but... what the heck?) and well... it made the decision a lot easier! These babies do have some pep and do turn rather well don't they!?!? Holy crap!

I am working on getting it for Tuesday, after almost 2 whole weeks from the first look to this!.... really I was just in for service and had time to kill !!

I will post some pics and my impressions when I get her home... you might say I am excited!

My apologies if I jumped the gun and didn't intro myself at the intro page if there is one, I tend to go right to the SF forum and sometimes check the Bimota one for kicks.

Clyde

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot... mine is a Red non-S (too many hoops to jump through for that) coming soon!

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
yea this is probably the most addictive bike I've had to date.. I LOVED my monster.. and this one makes it seem old :)

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,233 Posts
It's like I tell friends who ride... "Next time I go up to NPR, come along. Take a test ride on any Duc, see what it's all about. Just don't blame me if you test ride the Street Fighter."

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's a great story. I had to sell two and trade one for mine to convince the Mrs. You won't be sorry!

·
Registered
15 Posts
:D me too 848 and Hyper S in and Streetfighter S out no regrets;)
And a promise to the wife to 'keep this one more than five minutes' shouldn't be a problem for the first time a Ducati I enjoy riding as much as I do looking at it:D

I should qualify that! Always loved riding them they didn't always agree with me- aches and pains!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ha!

Nearly the same here. A friend has a good friend at the dealer. The only bike salesman he's ever liked. "Let's ride some bikes" says he. I am lightly interested in a 696 Monster or 1100. Ride the 696 and within 2 miles it's a nope; not enough stuff. The 1100S--fantastic but still only lightly interested. Hypermotard? Nope--doesn't have the lightness and torqueness of my WR450 sumo.

Wasn't going to ride the SFS (my buddy was on it) b/c there was no way I was going to pay $20k for a bike. But the last segment of our ride I relented and rode it just for laughs.

Should pick mine up this week. Red SFS. Horrible that the dealer's closed today! Horrible!

Any Austinites get together, give me a PM. Maybe I'll take it to harris hill rd this Saturday with the sumo.

Jack

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I picked it up yesterday... the guys at G.P. Bikes are outstanding as usual... last time I got my multi there I got treated very well and I was very happy with their professional manner... this time was even better! They made sure all was well with the bike, had all of the running around (licence, etc.) done for me (even know the right insurance guy!) and even sent the manuals and seat pad home for me via post. I really recommend them to you guys in Ontario.

I got to ride home through a bit of traffic at first... that is tough to break-in and vary the revs etc. when semi-trapped behind those cages. That is until you decide to moderately run it up to maybe 7000 or so (may have been 7500) and literally blow past them like they suddenly stopped... holy crap!!

Once the roads cleared out a bit I could run her in a little more, made it into 4th a couple of times! I know these were supposed to be capable machines and all but... holy crap!! I still grin to myself about how hard she runs up to very illegal speeds in such short distances... have I said holy crap yet??

I just love the feeling of the motor and literal thrust of the machine when you twist on the throttle... it makes you pay attention for sure and I have had to re-set my distance judgment and planning for accel out of corners and passing... what a shame! again...holy crap!!

I managed to go for a toot today also (just a short one but on the roads around home I am familiar with and... holy crap!! A whole new way to ride those turns now! I was doing easy 10 to 20 km/h more in every turn at my comfort level than I would have done on the multi (it-self no slouch in the twisties)... it just rails around the corners and then you light the fuse and boom again to the next set of left/right/lefts... I have said holy crap right?

Found myself having to tuck in the feet for turning (I really thought it would be hard to get over that far, those pegs are a fair bit higher than the multi) as I was grinding my boot a bit on a tight-ish right hander and felt completely at ease... such a capable machine!

Looking forward to the next ride... what a hoot!!

Thanks again to G.P. Bikes for their patience, never any pressure, just good advice and honesty... goes such a long way with me!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts