Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I had canister removed on Monday. Today I filled full gas of tank in the morning. Coming home tonight, 9 miles in on new gas of tank, I was braking for red light. When I put my left foot down I almost slipped. Looked down and there is a long line of gas behind my bike, and bunch underneath. Looks like it spilled out of evap hose. All that was done was canister removed. Hose leading to throttle bodies plugged in. Hose coming out of top of gas tank, left as is and zip tied so it's not just dangling.

What a heck? Anyone else who removed it experienced this?

I tried to reproduce it by braking hard for next light, but couldn't. I don't think I was doing it as hard. Also about 2 miles before, and few left and right turns I went over the curbs (was easier to get out from the parking area).

·
Registered
67 Posts
On the 821 is very easy to overfill the tank, and now that you don't have the canister anymore you will occasionally see fuel dripping from the vent hose (for example if you fill the tank and then lean the bike on the side stand). Anyways, I think there is nothing wrong with your bike, just remember to fill the tank a bit less than usual, and maybe extend that vent hose so it runs with the others, down to the bottom of the engine.

·
Registered
253 Posts
On the 821 is very easy to overfill the tank, and now that you don't have the canister anymore you will occasionally see fuel dripping from the vent hose (for example if you fill the tank and then lean the bike on the side stand). Anyways, I think there is nothing wrong with your bike, just remember to fill the tank a bit less than usual, and maybe extend that vent hose so it runs with the others, down to the bottom of the engine.
^^^^
This

You may also hear "groaning" from the bike after a ride. This is nothing more than the fuel vapor escaping into the atmosphere rather than being trapped and silenced by the charcoal canister.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. OK. Last night quite a descent quantity got dumped through it. And this was after 9 miles of riding, and when I opened the cap fuel was not that high. It doesn't do it when leaned over. Just under hard braking.

I might just put evap canister back on, and just not connect hose that leads to throttle bodies...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Normally all that gas would have gone into the canister. You should use the hose from the bottom of the canister and use a coupling to extend the hose further down. Shouldn't cause any issues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hmm. OK. Last night quite a descent quantity got dumped through it. And this was after 9 miles of riding, and when I opened the cap fuel was not that high. It doesn't do it when leaned over. Just under hard braking.
I might just put evap canister back on, and just not connect hose that leads to throttle bodies...
Just to sure, what does it mean "not that high", when you talk about the fuel level in the tank? How far below (or above!) from the bottom ridge of the tank filler neck, with the bike perfectly level and vertical? As I told you, the 821 seems to be much more prone to this problem than other bikes I had...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to sure, what does it mean "not that high", when you talk about the fuel level in the tank? How far below (or above!) from the bottom ridge of the tank filler neck, with the bike perfectly level and vertical? As I told you, the 821 seems to be much more prone to this problem than other bikes I had...
Hmm, 10 centimeters? I now have 30miles since I filled up, and on hard braking I still saw a bit of dripping.
I'll try to take pictures later tonight.

So basically if anyone wants to track it they either need to have original evap canister, some kind of after market catch can (was not able to find anything), or run 2/3 empty?

·
Registered
166 Posts
And now that little canister is mounted on every Ducati 939 regardless if it is destined to USA or Europe! Now I know what it does though.

Why would you want it removed? weight? does it affect performance? seems not.

Thanks for your experiences.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I removed evap can about 5 months ago, have done a couple track days, and haven't had any leaking despite filling tank all the way to top.
Hmm.. What a hell. What year is your hyper?
When the canister was removed mechanic also installed RapidBike EVO. When things were being re-assembled the little cap that connects to the evap hose popped off, and wouldn't stay. He safety wired it down so it is held by a wire running cross it. I was watching him, and seems like all the parts were put together, and it was held down firmly enough. Maybe something we missed?

And now that little canister is mounted on every Ducati 939 regardless if it is destined to USA or Europe! Now I know what it does though.

Why would you want it removed? weight? does it affect performance? seems not.

Thanks for your experiences.
It is ugly, and why some people do it. Also it was reported if gas gets in to it it affects how the bike is running. People say it was from over filling, but apparently on my bike it will do it even when tank is not fully full under hard braking. That might explain some of the running issues...

·
Registered
660 Posts
My bike kept stalling when the Evap canister was on, after removing it, it has n ot stalled in over 4200 miles of use,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmm.. What a hell. What year is your hyper?
When the canister was removed mechanic also installed RapidBike EVO. When things were being re-assembled the little cap that connects to the evap hose popped off, and wouldn't stay. He safety wired it down so it is held by a wire running cross it. I was watching him, and seems like all the parts were put together, and it was held down firmly enough. Maybe something we missed?
I have a 2014 SP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts