Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Ducati 748, 1974 Ducati 350S, 1994 Cagiva Elefant 750 Lucky Explorer, 2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I am new to the forum and i beg forgiveness in advance for my question but...

The front master cylinder brake of my Ducati 748 is leaking. It's OEM Brembo. Sometimes it loses pressure although lately it hasn't. I am sure it will soon as drops of fluid are coming out from the rubber seal where the rod lever pushes into the FMCB. I happen to have a spare part which sadly has a caliper broken in it (i know... i know...).

I saw on the internet they sell repair kits for the 90 degree tube that's connected to the reservoir. I decided to play around with the spare master cylinder in order to learn and practice but i can't take the plastic tube off. Is it because i am not strong enough or indeed because it's not possible? I am aware that there is a popular (and expensive) upgrade by Brembo but was wondering if i can salvage/fix my existing FMCB or if i need to buy a used OEM part or indeed upgrade. Yes I am aware owning a Ducati and be on a budget is an oxymoron but It comes down to money but also perhaps there is something simple I am missing?

Any tip is welcome and much appreciated. I attach the pictures of the spare FMCB i have. The rubber seal where you insert the lever rod currently installed in my ducati is broken - hence the leak.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,900 Posts
Hi and welcome to Ducati.ms, glad to have you here. I am going to copy your post over to the Superbike section to see if you can get some answers.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
If you are replacing the tube, grab it with a big ass pair of pliers and tear it out. It's an extremely tight fit (for good reason) and you will likely never manhandle it out with just your bare hands.

Also, a little weeping from there is not the end of the world. If you are tearing it apart, I would do the full rebuild kit as the piston seal inside is the more likely cause of failure.

FOr what it's worth, the brembo rebuild kit for the rear master I bought did not come with a replacement o-ring for the inlet pipe so be careful not to damage it, and put a little grease on the new fitting when you install.

Edit: also before you tore it apart did you check that the fluid was not coming from the reservoir hose? The rubber will harden and fatigue over time causing it to leak and drip. Be a shame to have torn the whole master apart for a loose hose clamp.

·
Registered
2000 Ducati 748, 1974 Ducati 350S, 1994 Cagiva Elefant 750 Lucky Explorer, 2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Danbuc,

thank you so much for the reply. It just happened i actually crashed the bike 3 days after and i am only now putting back together (i gave priority to my knee...). But i did ended buying a new master cylinder for 50 dollars. Also the reservoir was only 1 year old because i thought it was the reservoir leaking. Anyway, now i have all sort of other things to take care of but i appreciate the reply and apologies it took a year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts