Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how fast they are going at the Isle of Man race? All I can find is lap speed, which is the average. Top is just over 130. But I'm curious on the straights how fast they get going.

Thanks.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
I they said on the liter bikes that they were topping 200. I really enjoyed watch the discovery channel series on the TT. Beautiful to watch.
Yes, wasn't the coverage fantastic? That's got to be the most hair raising racing I've ever seen. Those guys are nuts!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've still got all the segments TIVO'd I've watched them several times. Bad Ass of the Bad Ass. Their was a time when the TT was part of the MOTO GP championship series the TT was dropped cause it's too dangerous.

Did anyone see the interviews with Valentino Rossi or the segment with the American riders sharing their thoughts......AWESOME

John McGuinness :yeah: is the MAN :D 'oh....I got so excited I forgot to post what I believe is the answer to your original post 191 mph.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Rick is right they hit about 190-200 at several points around the course.

In the days before my Little Monsters came along, I used to go more or less every year. Looking at going back in 2011.

Have a look at this full lap video by the late David Jefferies, along with commentary by him. Absolutely mind blowing.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1br7z_david-jeffries-full-lap_extreme

·
Registered
154 Posts
TT is the coolest motorsport event in the world bar none imho....anyone ever been ?
I went in 06, I can't even put into words how awesome it was! Ruined me for any race event in America, not even on the same scale. On top of that, we had Ducati's to ride around the island during non race hours AND I stalked Agostini with a sharpie and had him autograph my jacket.

Best trip we ever took, best time we ever had.

·
Demotivational Member
1,603 Posts
TT is the coolest motorsport event in the world bar none imho....anyone ever been ?
My son & I went last year. Spent 8 days on the Isle for the TT, 2 days in Dublin and a day in Belfast. We had great weather, only rained one day, the racing just can't be described, like Leopard said, you get spoiled. Your so close to the racing, just a couple of feet, it is much better than watching a race from a grandstand. People died while we were there on Mad Sunday. They open the course up for anyone who wants to ride it, and a few guys never finished the circuit. Anybody who loves motorcycling owes it to themselves to see the TT at least once in their lifetime.

·
Registered
40 Posts
John McGuinness set the lap record with 130.171 mph average and just under 190 mph top speed over the 37.73-mile circuit. About 17 minutes a lap in a 6 lap race! It was an amazing week. Add it to your bucket list.

TOP SPEED times recorded at Sulby straight just in from this year's opening Isle of Man TT race, the Superbike TT
2 John McGuinness Honda CBR 1000cc 188.500
7 Steve Plater 2008 Honda CBR 1000cc 188.000
8 Guy Martin 2008 Honda CBR 1000cc 188.000
14 Keith Amor Honda CBR 1000cc 183.900
27 Chris Palmer 2006 Yamaha R1 1000cc 183.400
15 Michael Dunlop 2009 Yamaha R1 1000cc 182.400
11 Adrian Archibald 2008 Suzuki GSXR 1000cc 81.900
9 Ian Lougher 2008 Yamaha R1 1000cc 181.400
10 Conor Cummins 2009 Kawasaki ZX10 1000cc 181.400
1 Gary Johnson Honda CBR 1000cc 180.400

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
McGuinness' HM Plant CBR 1000RR had top speeds of 190 and 191 on the Sulby straight. Next was the Suzuki at 188mph and the ZX10 @ 184mph....I was shocked that the Yamaha leads all brands in total wins, etc..w/ Honda one win behind.
I had a chance to go to Scotland many years ago. Stayed at Glen Eagles and in Edinburgh. They have a huge motorcycle population, everywhere there where motorcycles! I liked the paint schemes that the Euros got on their bikes, far better looking then the ones sent to the USA.
You can get alot of interesting info here:

www.iomtt.com/

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
2011 will be the year for me to go over. I have never watched any racing event that is more unbelievable. The American's comments were very honest and respectful for what the Euros are doing there.
All I can say is that if it looks in real life like the video from the on bike cameras, those guys are superheros.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Perhaps the key next race to get to in the long list of races to see! I would like to hear about where you stay, how you got there and how you got a bike to ride there.
Best race Ive seen so far is the 24 hours of LeMans, would gladly go see it again. Even my 16 yr old daughter liked it. Here the layers kill everythng that has some excitement to it. (Appologies to those who make their living that way.)

·
Demotivational Member
1,603 Posts
Perhaps the key next race to get to in the long list of races to see! I would like to hear about where you stay, how you got there and how you got a bike to ride there.
Best race Ive seen so far is the 24 hours of LeMans, would gladly go see it again. Even my 16 yr old daughter liked it. Here the layers kill everythng that has some excitement to it. (Appologies to those who make their living that way.)
We flew into Dublin and took the Steam Packet Line ferry to & from the Isle of Man. They have several ports of call in Ireland and England. You should make your reservations early, as they book up well in advance for race weeks. There is an Airport on the Isle. The woman who we stayed with had her nephew fly in for the weekend to watch the races. She was a retired school teacher who kept times for the races before they went digital and knew all the best places to watch the action. The Manx government encourages the local population to open up their homes for the TT to increase the number of beds available. There are alot of bed & breakfast all over the Isle as well as many hotels in Douglas. We stayed in Port Erin, a beautiful little used to be fishing village right on the Irish sea. All the night life is in Douglas, but it was nice to get back to Port Erin and the local pubs for our nightcaps. We meet and became friends with two guys from Derbyshire, who brought their bikes, but the local public transportation system is excellent. The cost of bike rentals in Ireland, England or the Isle of Man was prohibitive. It was an incredible two weeks for us, I will go again. iomtt.com

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Curious. Anyone have any data on the riders heart rates? I doubt it's out there but it would be interesting to me. I don't know which rider it was(sure more than one) that crested a small uphill, caught air and landed squirly. I'd LOVE to know the effect on his heart rate... My guess, it may have matched his speed.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I bet it had a rather significant effect on his sphincter too....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts