Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know from the pros... this is one of the rockers on my 2002 748 with 3200 miles on it... is this the dreaded flaking rocker issue? Why is my oil green?

·
Registered
113 Posts
That whitish looking spot in front of the lob on the right side of the rocker looks like it might be but hard to tell in the photo. How does the oil screen look? Have any flakes on it? That was the first sign for me. Not sure on the green oil though. What brand of oil you using?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Your oil is green cause you're using some sort of full synthetic oil... I use Motul 500v and it looks like predator blood when I put it in... that's not an issue. The rocker will flake on the chrome areas and it looks like it may be in the early stages of flaking on the far right side... Although that may also be a reflection from your camera. Take a piece of paper towel and wipe at it.. if it's scraped, or isn't smooth and flush it's flaking the chrome off.. As someone else suggested, check your side screen for chrome flakes... If you find flakes, take them and drop them in some battery acid. If they bubble, it's chrome and they're flaking..

EDIT: I downloaded your picture and looked at it photoshop. Your rocker is flaking; the lines follow the cam lobe which means as the cam turns and the lobe hits the rocker, it's flaking the chrome off along the path it travels across the rocker (does that make sense?). It's in the early stages (when I found mine it was MUCH worse), but you'll still have to get it resurfaced or replaced.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Bad rocker. Bad....;) Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a feeling that was the case... damn. As soon as I saw it I could tell that the chrome was coming off... let this be a lesson for people who say Ducati solved this problem after 2000 which I have read some places. Also this bike has 3300 miles and I don't ride it hard at all, more a show piece. Time to start looking at forums on replacing rockers!

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
The chrome coating is defective in most occurrences.

·
Super Moderator
8,220 Posts
Almost looks like the cam has had it aswell... its hard to tell, make sure you inspect it when you pull it.

//amullo

·
Registered
790 Posts
The chrome coating is defective in most occurrences.
yah true.
I've read a few about that, but he's prob only had 2-3 oil changes and the whole thing is already broken. some older desmos I've seen have had no problems with such...yet...
Oh yeh, also read on here that the 916 and 748 are have higher revs..
Maybe it's not the true mileage or maybe the way it was ridden or just plain defective out of the bunch. That sucks. I'd be pissed and bummed out...
Any other options he's got since that thing only has 3K miles?
I've read that the factory did something about it, but I don't know if they still would care.
I'm going to change my oil now and pop that screen...

Goodluck with this issue and keep this thread updated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what do I need to be looking for on my cam for damage? I notice that where the lobe hits the rocker the blackish color is worn off and it's shiny... does this mean it's worn out? What to look for in cam damage? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I say it is... Although not as bad as mine was..

It looks like your cam lobe may be flaking as well...

Welcome to the club:( With mine, almost all, but 3 were damaged to some degree(of that, 3 were worn right in to soft metal below it.
I sent all mine - including ones that weren't showing any damage to megacycle. It came back looking like brand new.

Dealer did contacted Ducati USA, thinking may be they'd help me on price on new rockerarm($250 or so each retail) and they basicaly said "tough shit".

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I just got back from my dealer... he said not to worry about it and do it down the road AKA winter time. So I'm gonna measure my valve clearances... assuming they are not too far out of wack... do I go with the dealers advice and wait or get them done now?

Also I was gonna do them with the head on... is this next to impossible as the dealer said? Just not stoked on $200 for the head gaskets!

·
Registered
193 Posts
So I just got back from my dealer... he said not to worry about it and do it down the road AKA winter time. So I'm gonna measure my valve clearances... assuming they are not too far out of wack... do I go with the dealers advice and wait or get them done now?

Also I was gonna do them with the head on... is this next to impossible as the dealer said? Just not stoked on $200 for the head gaskets!
I personaly would not wait..
chrome flaking may take some time to progress - but remenber, yours have some 3200miles, and progressed that much - once chrome is gone, like mine was, there is nothing but soft metal there.
And as bad as mine was, there were no simptoms of any to indicate to me, or to my mechanic to know that damage was progressing. So you would not likely get any indication of worsening damage until its too late
And I was lucky as my cam lobe had no damage. But in worst case senario, your cam may needs to be replaced. Who knowz...

seems like too much chance I would perfer not to take(and I didn't. i dished out all together $3200 and 3 weeks to get it fixed - but that included fix some oil leak, timing belt, R/R Coolant, oil, lube...)...

·
Registered
724 Posts

Agree with Mity2

IMO: From the looks of that one cam lobe which for some reason is gulled on one side :confused:, I personally would take care of it now. All the extra bits floating around in the oil won't do any of the other engine parts much good either, only increasing the wear throughout the engine, not just the already bad rocker and cam lobe.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
sold my 02 748 without any rocker issue.
maybe i got lucky. However, after extensively and exhaustively reading about it I followed some recommnedations. Use full synthetic as it tends to "stick" longer after cooling down. If not ridden in a long time, there will be no oil left on the lobes and cams (that was never an issue, as I rode almost daily). Warm up the bike at idle for at least 90 seconds to ensure oil has made its way to the heads.

·
Registered
790 Posts
sold my 02 748 without any rocker issue.
maybe i got lucky. However, after extensively and exhaustively reading about it I followed some recommnedations. Use full synthetic as it tends to "stick" longer after cooling down. If not ridden in a long time, there will be no oil left on the lobes and cams (that was never an issue, as I rode almost daily). Warm up the bike at idle for at least 90 seconds to ensure oil has made its way to the heads.
Nice tips.
How valid and accurate are those? :D (I believe ya)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
There has been sooooo much written on this site about this phenomenon....do a good search. Frankly, you can do the repairs yourself and save a bundle.

I have two of the Desmoquattro motors. The earlier ones such as my 888 never had a problem but then Ducati went to an outside source....and the world went to hell. My 2002 bike had one rocker replaced at Nichols two years ago and I keep watch on the others at oil change time. Did you say the dealer wanted $3200 for the repair ?

I am deeply impressed by that. Nichols charged me $1200 for the normal 12K service, new lightweight flywheel, and R and R of the bad rocker with one from Megacycle.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Did you say the dealer wanted $3200 for the repair ?

I am deeply impressed by that. Nichols charged me $1200 for the normal 12K service, new lightweight flywheel, and R and R of the bad rocker with one from Megacycle.

No Mine cost $3200 all together.
Thats sending out all rockers to get it recoated, timing belt change, fixed all oil leaks(O-ring behind cam gears - all of them were leaking. Also left side engine cover was seaping as well), flush the coolant and so on.
I also bought new Barnett's clutch basket, Ducati performance pressure plate and few other small things.
Now that I looked invoice again, actual cost of repairing rocker arms was $1952.
Still very expensive that I could have had saved some money if I was willing to try to tackle the issue on my own..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts