Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to pass time and wait for the bike in said screen name, but visiting this site has changed my opinion on the 999. So... Would I be outcast immediately if I put some heli-bars and a corbin seat on a 999?? I'm really starting to dig it, but my round trip to work is over 80 miles and I want to start riding again everyday. My gear is getting dusty and I'm not sure if I can stand not having a bike much longer!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I used to ride my 749 to work(about 75 miles one way) but my SS is a little more comfortable so i usually ride it. I dont have the seat or helibars on mine but im sure that would help. I never really got to the point where it hurt or was really uncomfortable when i rode the 749 its just when it comes to maintenance i would rather put the miles on the 2 valver. So I say do it you'll love it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Commuting with a superbike on a daily basis always seemed a little silly to me. 99.999% of the time I'd rather take the beemer for transportation purposes. I think bar-risers and a Corbin seat would be required if you were even _thinking_ about daily riding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
749 Commuter

I also ride my bike everyday. I'm on a 749 and do about 80 miles round trip. It is not as uncomfortable as you may think. Of course a couple little adjustments like you are talking about probably would only make it better. Just my .02

·
comrade moderator
26,772 Posts
Screw what anybody else thinks an do your own thing to YOUR own bike.

I have no problems with the stock seat (it's more comfortable than it looks - something to do with cut and support), but I have Helibars on my bike and wouldn't have it any other way.

Commute with it, sportride with it, flat-track it, goat trail it, just ride it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those of you who do the daily commute thing, would you mind listing your dimensions? I'm 6'1", on the heavy side. Here in MN dealers are extremely limited, so finding stuff to test drive or sit on is a pain in the arse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chuckracer said:

I have no problems with the stock seat (it's more comfortable than it looks - something to do with cut and support), but I have Helibars on my bike and wouldn't have it any other way.

Woot Woot! That's what I wanted to hear! :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
Chuckracer said:

+1
I commute as well, and when I complained to forum about my wrists someone told me to "workout". Although that is quite the swear word around me, that's what I have been doing and it has helped alot. Moving around different positions and using your stomach to support your weight has also worked.

I may be crazy but I would rather be uncomfortable on my bike than driving my Suburban or Jeep.

Jus' me though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
chuckracer's right...

It's your machine...do what makes YOU comfy.

I've got Heli's on my 996 and I'm going for a Sargent or Corbin as soon as I can. Had an FZR1000 that was a torture rack and I couldnt do anything about it.....ain't doin that on this bike.

Make it feel good

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
hypermotard_1 said:
For those of you who do the daily commute thing, would you mind listing your dimensions? I'm 6'1", on the heavy side. Here in MN dealers are extremely limited, so finding stuff to test drive or sit on is a pain in the arse.
5'10", 185 lbs and I would ride my 998 anywhere including cross country. The only ergo mod is the Cycle Cat bar risers that were on the bike when I bought it.

bruce19

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
lots of people put on bar risers when they get their bike,i didn't and after getting used to the ergos find that they are not needed(6ft 180 and commute)but i also have almost nil sub 30 mph riding ,and thats the back and arm killer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the input so far. How ever I just found out that insurance on a 999 for me would be around $4000 a year... A Monster1000 would be around $1600. I even went to the dealer today to deal on a 999 but didn't know about the ins. until now. I'm completely bummed. I guess I'm just going to wait again for the hypermotard and see if insurance wise it's similar to the Monster, I just can't justify the $ for the 999. I could almost buy a new one every 4 years!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Shop around for different insurance quotes... Progressive tried to pull that BS on me when I bought my BMW. They wanted $4k/yr for it which was a load of crap. I switched to State Farm and cancelled all my Progessive policies including my cars and told them exactly why I was leaving. I laugh everytime a see a Progressive ad now. They lost a lot of business from me.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
mattjw916 said:
Shop around for different insurance quotes... Progressive tried to pull that BS on me when I bought my BMW. They wanted $4k/yr for it which was a load of crap. I switched to State Farm and cancelled all my Progessive policies including my cars and told them exactly why I was leaving. I laugh everytime a see a Progressive ad now. They lost a lot of business from me.
I had a very similar experience with Progressive. After 20+ yrs of no accidents, no claims and status as an MSF Instructor, Progressive quoted me $1200 for coverage on a '97 Ducati SS/SP. I was 52 yrs. old at the time and had a clean driving record. I went with my car insurer, State Farm, for $350 yr. This is all in CT, BTW.

bruce19

·
Registered
463 Posts
hypermotard_1 said:
Thank you for all the input so far. How ever I just found out that insurance on a 999 for me would be around $4000 a year... A Monster1000 would be around $1600. I even went to the dealer today to deal on a 999 but didn't know about the ins. until now. I'm completely bummed. I guess I'm just going to wait again for the hypermotard and see if insurance wise it's similar to the Monster, I just can't justify the $ for the 999. I could almost buy a new one every 4 years!
That sux. I'm 34 and pay $572.00 a year for full coverage (replacement cost, $500 deductable) with Statefarm. But also I have everything else with State Farm and have been with them since I was 16.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I currently have my house etc. through American Family, but they don't insure sport bikes. I will be checking out state farm on Monday, thanks for the tip! It sucks being 25/male... What's really weird is a KTM 950 supermoto is only $600 a year for me, less than half an air cooled monster would cost??! All I know is I'm hooked on the 999 so I will be checking around some more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts