Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time I've done an oil change on my 06 SC1000 and noticed that it looks kind of strange. There is some black compound on the metal and it doesnt fully cover it. It worked perfectly fine before I took it out, but just wondered WTF is up with that? Is that what it always looked like? Worthy of me having to replace it? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
The black compound, as you call it, is sealant used to prevent leaking around the oil temp thermistor. Yours looks a little thick but if it ain't broke...don't fix it ;)

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First time I've done an oil change on my 06 SC1000 and noticed that it looks kind of strange. There is some black compound on the metal and it doesnt fully cover it. It worked perfectly fine before I took it out, but just wondered WTF is up with that? Is that what it always looked like? Worthy of me having to replace it? Thanks.

By the way, before I re-installed I rubbed my finger across that stuff not too hard and chunks broke off. it isnt totally black but more like glazed on glassy crap. it came off and i wiped it with a towel and it looks like the second posters. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
By the way, before I re-installed I rubbed my finger across that stuff not too hard and chunks broke off. it isnt totally black but more like glazed on glassy crap. it came off and i wiped it with a towel and it looks like the second posters. Oh well.
Probably baked on oil...be sure to change it more often:)

Tmnstr

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably baked on oil...be sure to change it more often:)

Tmnstr

prolly. Just got the bike about 100 miles ago from a guy in NJ. He said he changed it at 3k and it has 6900, so now its got fresh oil in it, fresh front/rear brake fluid and I will do the clutch fluid maybe later this week. Whew!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts