Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check pics.

I have attached several variations of the modification, but they're all the same basic idea. Optimally, I would imagine that any gains would be increased by additionally installing a less restrictive set of slip ons. I'm outfitted with both TIG and oxy-acetylene in my shop, just to get that said.

When I ask "is it worth doing", what I mean is;

** any better raw performance (perceived improved torque, as in seat of the pants ... maybe more HP)?

** more efficient (fuel mileage)?

** sound change (deeper or louder or crappier)?

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
I rode an SS for several years and I recall seeing the configuration in picture #1 in another post. If you are searching it would be circa 2011 - 2015. SS guy's will chip in.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rode an SS for several years and I recall seeing the configuration in picture #1 in another post. If you are searching it would be circa 2011 - 2015. SS guy's will chip in.
So did I post this in the wrong subforum?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
It's only worth the effort if the center section is radiused like most of the photos show. A square section center may show some benefit over the (admittedly restrictive) stock item. But, if you're going through the hassle, you should make it as good as it possibly can be.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's only worth the effort if the center section is radiused like most of the photos show. A square section center may show some benefit over the (admittedly restrictive) stock item. But, if you're going through the hassle, you should at least make it as good as it possibly can be.
Yeeeup.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If I remember rightly, the guy who did this said that it only made a small difference. The OEM pipe works well despite looking terribly restrictive.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
The first question you need to ask yourself is --What type of rider are you? are you going to racing this bike? are you using it for track days? are you a really fast or quick rider? or are you going to ride this bike on the street like a normal sane person? Unless you are going for absolute performance on the track I would personally leave it stock, I did put a set of Carbon Tech high pipe slip-on's on my 91 900ss-- did not do this for any reason other then -I wanted a set of high pipes, I wanted a little better sound & I picked them up for a steal of a deal. If you are going for all out performance the exhaust is only a small piece in a large puzzle

Reactions: bigbadbass2

·
Registered
164 Posts
The first question you need to ask yourself is --What type of rider are you? are you going to racing this bike? are you using it for track days? are you a really fast or quick rider? or are you going to ride this bike on the street like a normal sane person? Unless you are going for absolute performance on the track I would personally leave it stock,
Yaaaay! (sound of applause) to a voice of reason

@Rex Coil 7 I'd suggest to resist the temptation and get your SS together and functional as is, for the most part. If I'm gleaning correctly, to this point you're projecting it to become costly. After getting it together and properly running, you can then determine future mods, smartly and sequentially planned and needed as you see fit, from a performance, practical and financial viewpoint.

Hey disclaimer....just IMHO, YMMV , all that crap.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The first question you need to ask yourself is --What type of rider are you? are you going to racing this bike? are you using it for track days? are you a really fast or quick rider? or are you going to ride this bike on the street like a normal sane person? Unless you are going for absolute performance on the track I would personally leave it stock, I did put a set of Carbon Tech high pipe slip-on's on my 91 900ss-- did not do this for any reason other then -I wanted a set of high pipes, I wanted a little better sound & I picked them up for a steal of a deal. If you are going for all out performance the exhaust is only a small piece in a large puzzle
Well, I get all of that. This is my 17th motorcycle, raced for years, built several of my own bikes (including the frames). If I were "going for all out performance" I wouldn't even mess with goofing around with the stock exhaust system, it would be replaced with something that matched the rest of the engine modifications (eg; carbs, cams, porting, bore/stroke configuration, ignition system, gearing, clutch and so on). But good on ya for making mention of it since there is an entire planet of people that may be exposed to this information at one point or another!

:smile2:

This is my first Ducati. I don't know my way around on these motorcycles yet, hence the question. I didn't know if doing the modification pictured in this thread was something worth doing that made it breathe better or reduced a heavy restriction there at the cross over. I tend to believe it's not something that really does much, especially when compared to replacing the stock mufflers/silencers with less restrictive aftermarket pieces.

Which generates another question; is the modification worth the effort when combined with aftermarket stingers? Combined with proper stock carb set up, and aftermarket air filter (eg; K&N). I'm still thinking it wouldn't really make much of a seat of the pants change, even with the stuff I just listed.

One cannot know these things unless questions are asked. Thanks for helping!

:grin2:

If I remember rightly, the guy who did this said that it only made a small difference. The OEM pipe works well despite looking terribly restrictive.
As I figured. Thank you for adding that to this discussion.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yaaaay! (sound of applause) to a voice of reason

@Rex Coil 7 I'd suggest to resist the temptation and get your SS together and functional as is, for the most part. If I'm gleaning correctly, to this point you're projecting it to become costly. After getting it together and properly running, you can then determine future mods, smartly and sequentially planned and needed as you see fit, from a performance, practical and financial viewpoint.

Hey disclaimer....just IMHO, YMMV , all that crap.
Well I'm not "tempted", I'm trying to learn my way around these engines (so to speak). It is merely a set of questions to that end. I'll also have questions about things such as final drive gearing changes and their effect on rideability and so on. But that doesn't mean I'm thinking of spending $500 bucks on a chain/sprocket ensemble, it simply means I want to know. Full stop.

I realize that most times when someone posts a question in a forum, they're considering spending money/time on actually putting whatever they asked about into play on their bike. So the assumption that most questions are a lead-off to an end is reasonable. At this point, I'm attempting to learn what I can, but it doesn't always mean that's where I'm headed, just to get that said. I'll make an attempt to be more clear about that in the future.

Thanks everyone, your points are well rec'd. I appreciate the input!! I learn at least 2 to 5 things each day in this forum from this membership.

(there's no "thumbs up" emogee .. so here's a manual THUMBS UP, YO!)

:laugh: :laugh: :smile2:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
My 91 900ss that I got a month or so ago I got a good deal on it and I am lucky that I can do the work myself, I am trying to make a nice riding street bike that I can enjoy, If I want to fast on the street or track I have other bikes for that. I am trying to get this bike into great condition and spend as little as possible right now I have about $2600 in this Duc, that includes about $600 on things that I didnt really have to do but just wanted to do example tyres, K&N air filter, left combo switch, seat cowling, new Kilometer speedo, stage 1 jet kit & Carbon tech high slip on's--these were not needed to make it functional. This bike is nothing more then a toy for me. I dont mind spending money to get it where I want it but I also dont want to go overboard lol.

Reactions: Rex Coil 7

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 91 900ss that I got a month or so ago I got a good deal on it and I am lucky that I can do the work myself, I am trying to make a nice riding street bike that I can enjoy, If I want to fast on the street or track I have other bikes for that. I am trying to get this bike into great condition and spend as little as possible right now I have about $2600 in this Duc, that includes about $600 on things that I didnt really have to do but just wanted to do example tyres, K&N air filter, left combo switch, seat cowling, new Kilometer speedo, stage 1 jet kit & Carbon tech high slip on's--these were not needed to make it functional. This bike is nothing more then a toy for me. I dont mind spending money to get it where I want it but I also dont want to go overboard lol.
I hear ya. I had more fun than should be allowed on a 1984 Sportster ... 50HP x 550 pounds and a 4 speed gearbox. This bike I just bought (1996 900SS/CR) specs out at something like 85HP x 400 pounds. Much greater power:weight ratio when compared to my Sportster.

So I reckon it will be shit tons of fun to ride, without a bunch of modifications to make it "faster".

Yea, sure, I'm changing the exhaust slip ons to GPR Deeptones, and will be doing some "light" brake modifications and clutch control system modifications. But those efforts are aimed at safety and dependability for the most part. Admittedly some changes are aimed at weight reduction, but those can be sortof rationalized as "safety" modifications (one of those things that if I say it enough times I'll actually believe it! ... haahaa!).

The previous owner got me a pretty good head start by installing new Pirelli Angel GTs on both ends, with less than 2k miles on them (easy miles at that, he's a very conservative rider). The rear being a 170x60 ... the front = 120x60 (I think, I probably should go look to verify those sizes).

Thanks for the input, Member *rennsportmotorrad ... encouraging stuff!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The enlarged crossover section won't really be a noticeable change with stock carbs/compression. What is a worthwhile mod to those pipes is to cut off the outlet pipes and narrow them approx. 1/2" to pull them in for more ground clearance if you plan to do track days or race the bike. They can ground and lever the rear wheel up at full lean. If you are looking for a power boost the cheapest and most effective mod after different mufflers would be higher compression pistons, it really wakes them up.

·
Registered
939 Posts
As I recollect from Brad the Bikeboy's BikeBoy.org and Doug Lofgren's Motorcycle Performance Services Homepage website as well as talking with having had Doug tune two 900SS motors for me and speaking with him, you won't get much of anything from an exhaust or slip ons with the stock carbs, pistons or cams.

The simplest and most direct improvement on the 900SS is flat slide carbs. Taking the top off the airbox is worth about as much to a 900SS as slip ons or modifying/replacing the exhaust (1 or 2 hp).

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I agree with you on the flat slide carbs--But I personally am not going to spend as much for the carbs as I did for the Bike lol

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Take a look at an OEM ST4 exhaust. Is basically the same configuration only larger diameter. Cut off the head pipes at about 12" and weld the stock 900 ones on. Pick a nice set of slip ons and thats a pretty good low buck way to make a good functioning exhaust for an engine that has some work done to it like carbs and or HC Pistons.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
That mod won't help at all in stock configuration, I actually lost power doing it. Once i fitted FCR41's i got that and much more back but whether i would have turned out the same number with the std headers i don't know.

The general consensus is that no matter what you do to the air cooled bike you don't really need more than a decent set of slip on mufflers, they don't rev hard enough to need more.
The best most cost effective way to get good HP is a simple recipe
944 kit
ST2 Cams
FCR41's

That's it, start doing more than that and you're throwing bad money after good, if you're chasing real horsepower you're on the wrong bike, you want a 4 valver....

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
But with the stock carbs & stock pistons the exhaust mod, is moot ---I paid $1550.00 for my 91 900ss , again I am not going to spend more for carbs then I did for the bike -That is bloody insane especially if this is a normal street bike that will never see the track, I'm sure I could make this bike a real screaming demon if I wanted to spent the $$, but I could wind up spending $10K to get there. It's Just Not Worth It--If you want that kind of performance buy another bike-it would cost less and go a hell of alot faster. You have to take everything into consideration as to what you want & what you need & what you can afford, If I wanted to go really fast I would have kept my 2001 M.V. Agusta 750 F4 Neiman Marcus special edition--There were only 10 built and I had one---Sexiest Motorcycle ever built by man--And the Most uncomfortable pile of crap as well--But Damn it was fast

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
I’d do it. Every aftermarket set of pipes does something to fix that area. If it doesn’t help power now, it will later, because no one ever quits modifying an SS. It’s an addiction.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts