Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building up another 853 motor and looking for some 916 cylinders. Totally new to engine building here... Found a set for a decent price, but one cylinder looks a bit worn:

Product Rim Gas Circle Auto part

Fluid Serveware Gas Drink Composite material

It still has the striations from honing. But I wonder if those vertical marks would need a re-plating of nikasile and re-honing to get a good piston ring seal. Any advice from those that know engine stuffs?

·
Registered
173 Posts
It could use a new pass to freshen up the crosshatch. If the vertical wear remains then repeat the process. Make sure your pistons match the bore size within the proper clearance spec and verify proper ring end gap on all the rings.

·
Registered
1991 Ducati 907ie, 1991 Ducati 900SS, 1991 Ducati 851 Strada
139 Posts
If you run your finger nail across any of the marks -can you feel anything or is it still smooth? ---use a ball hone to break the glaze that is in the cylinders & clean up the crosshatching --Nikasil is hard as hell--you may be surprised to find they are just fine after using the ball hone.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right on. Thanks all. I’ll roll the dice with them and ball hone them if need be. Loads cheaper than boring and replating the 748 cylinders already in the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts