Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Please take a look at below pictures and tell me if this is how coolant in the oil looks like?
As far as I know, it should look milky, like chocolate milk...
Btw, if yes, then my oil trace that I found on vertical cylinder is probably connected with this...probably head gasket...
If this is the case, I will be requesting new engine from Ducati, because I was 2 times at service and they said it was nothing...I have this documented...

Thanx and regards from Croatia

temporary image hosting

·
Registered
350 Posts
Certainly looks like coolant in the oil. How does the coolant look? How many miles on the oil, and the bike? If the bike is under warranty, I wouldn't do a thing until I brought it to the dealer. Don't run it, don't do anything. If not, I doubt that you need a new engine, but then the diagnosis would start with a compression check and go from there. Yes, I would say "head gasket" but you cannot at this point assume anything.

If the dealer has already seen this situation and has thusly rendered a professional opinion to the effect: "eveeting looka good t me", then you need a new dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to answer to myself...
I have just gone to see my friend's Multistrada 950, and oil color is exactly the same...
So either we both have coolant in the oil, or this is regular color...
Btw my oil is ca 3.000 km, so pretty fresh

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Certainly looks like coolant in the oil. How does the coolant look? How many miles on the oil, and the bike? If the bike is under warranty, I wouldn't do a thing until I brought it to the dealer. Don't run it, don't do anything. If not, I doubt that you need a new engine, but then the diagnosis would start with a compression check and go from there. Yes, I would say "head gasket" but you cannot at this point assume anything.

If the dealer has already seen this situation and has thusly rendered a professional opinion to the effect: "eveeting looka good t me", then you need a new dealer.
As I said in my second post, 3.000km with this oil (ca 2.000 miles), bike is on 4.000 km (2.500 miles).
The issue is that I ran the bike 600 km already (after I went to the dealer because oil leakage from vertical cylinder - they were not able to find the source, they told it was some leftover from the production).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not sure but Motul 300V full synthetic is pretty much neon green when it's new, don't remember if it discolours like that when it gets older, but maybe?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Coolant in the engine oil looks horrible. It becomes super-blended with the oil especially in a bike engine where the oil is also in the transmission and it gets really REALLY blended together into an ugly goo. You do not have coolant in your engine oil.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,298 Posts
Hi guys,

Please take a look at below pictures and tell me if this is how coolant in the oil looks like?
As far as I know, it should look milky, like chocolate milk...
Btw, if yes, then my oil trace that I found on vertical cylinder is probably connected with this...probably head gasket...
If this is the case, I will be requesting new engine from Ducati, because I was 2 times at service and they said it was nothing...I have this documented...

Thanx and regards from Croatia

temporary image hosting
Even -IF- Ducati determines you have a head gasket leak, they ain't gonna give you a new engine. Take it from someone who has been down that road. Had both heads, all valves, and the rear cylinder replaced on my old '10 multi due to coolant erosion. And that was from the wrong coolant being put in at the factory!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Even -IF- Ducati determines you have a head gasket leak, they ain't gonna give you a new engine. Take it from someone who has been down that road. Had both heads, all valves, and the rear cylinder replaced on my old '10 multi due to coolant erosion. And that was from the wrong coolant being put in at the factory!
Ducati makes nice Italian bikes ... but holy shit I don't think I've ever read about so many damned FAILS by one bike maker as I've read about here over the previous six months. I'm talking about crap-poop-shit on brand new bikes where the factory has been total buttheads about actually taking care of problems. The poly-tank swelling issue within the Sport Classic line comes immediately to mind. And many (many!) hard-mechanical issues brought up by so many members on bikes that cost A LOT OF MONEY. Blows my ever lovin' mind. Shit's cray cray yo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm told it's rare for a Ducati to do a gasket? More usual is the seal behind the water pump impeller going. Is your coolant level falling? Is your oil level rising?

·
Registered
350 Posts
:ROFLMAO:

So must everybody else be who's replied....! Sales must be down, we have more time to troll the forums and offer incorrect advice...
I guess you're right. I was just going to watch, but I can't help thinking why one would jeopardize an expensive engine for a couple quarts of oil and a check of the coolant. Makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why everyone is telling that the factory put the oil and the coolant in the bikes? It is my understanding that all import vehicles coming without liquids this is for safety and reduce weight for shipping, they are prepared by the dealers, the dealers are the ones that put the oil and coolant in the bikes, and some make mistakes or try to reduce cost using the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why everyone is telling that the factory put the oil and the coolant in the bikes? It is my understanding that all import vehicles coming without liquids this is for safety and reduce weight for shipping, they are prepared by the dealers, the dealers are the ones that put the oil and coolant in the bikes, and some make mistakes or try to reduce cost using the cheap stuff.
Because not every bike made is imported into the US, believe it or not.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,298 Posts
I've never heard or seen that. Usual dealer prep involves assembling the bike, charging the battery, and putting fuel in the tank. Fluids are put in at the factory prior to test running the engines.

I'm not a motorcycle importer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's not nice to hear...
I have just left my bike ad the dealer's today and won't be picking it up till they find the issue...
I told them to definitely disassemble exhaust from the manifold as that is where oil is coming from...
Then we will know more...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts