Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I like how it looks but since I do not have experience with open clutches let alone open clutch on a naked bike, so asking those who does...

What do you think? Is it "OK with some caution" for a SF or rather "accident waiting to happen"?

Also, it is an ebay item branded as "MC Motosport" (some Honk Kong company I believe). Wondering if anyone used their products and can provide their review on quality and all...

Update: I plan on using this Pressure Plate (Rizoma 036)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
I can't offer any advice on the company, never heard of them. It looks nice but not much of a cover there's a good chance if the bike goes over that not only the cover will be detroyed but also the pressure plate and retainer. Now that hasn't stopped me from running a open carbon cover on my Hyper.

·
Temporary greeter
23,089 Posts
Safety for what? Riders? If so I wouldn't worry about it unless you have loose shoe strings.

In a fall it will not provide much protection for the springs or pressure plate as said. If your are worried about the ability to ride away from a small fall in the middle of nowhere, it would be easy to remove the crushed cover to get on the road again.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
It's not the crushed cover that is a problem it's the broken springs/bolts on the clutch. It doesn't look like that cover will provide much if any protection in a crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
As stated above, with that pressure plate no, as springs have absolutely no protection. Different PP with deep set springs would be a better combo with that cover. (their all not just different colors, LOL)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As stated above, with that pressure plate no, as springs have absolutely no protection. Different PP with deep set springs would be a better combo with that cover. (their all not just different colors, LOL)
hmm, had no idea pressure plates are different that way (springs sticking out or not).
what do you think about this PP?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
You're already taking a big risk by using that clutch cover. It provides no protection in a fall. It provides almost no protection from feet or hands making contact with the moving clutch. You might as well just not use a clutch cover. It will only take one time to find out if you have a boot clearance issue with no clutch cover. You'll know when the end of your boot gets chewed up by the clutch.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not the crushed cover that is a problem it's the broken springs/bolts on the clutch. It doesn't look like that cover will provide much if any protection in a crash.

I looked at many options (expensive and not so) and they all seem to be made out of alumunim and pretty lightweight. Which I think would crash under the weight of the bike in event of a fall.

Now, I understand that in event of a serious crash nothing would protect well (even the stock cover wouldnt), but lets say a tip over or some kind of a small fall....

So is there and open cover that would protect in minor fall?

thanks.

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
hmmm, i checked and the foot brake control is so close to where the clutch is.
It isn't that. It's when you're at a stop and the open clutch is humping your right leg. I did that for a while on my ST. I have a smooth TPO Parts retainer, so it wasn't a problem.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
There are several open clutch covers that are known to be strong and have survived crashes. Speedtmoto makes them. They look like they have discontinued several of their clutch covers though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You're already taking a big risk by using that clutch cover. It provides no protection in a fall. It provides almost no protection from feet or hands making contact with the moving clutch. You might as well just not use a clutch cover. It will only take one time to find out if you have a boot clearance issue with no clutch cover. You'll know when the end of your boot gets chewed up by the clutch.
I agree. You never know when someone (children, pets, etc.) may get too close to that whirring clutch, or you shred your pants at a stop light.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
hmm, had no idea pressure plates are different that way (springs sticking out or not).
what do you think about this PP?
That one does protect the springs more than the original you showed, CycleCat made some with heavy duty thick spring protection, I run one right now and I also have the star model you posted but I am running a bit more coverage under a CF cover. To the other posters, I think all the clutch/rearset distances vary greatly between models. ON my S1k your feet on the pegs are not near the PP.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
If protecting your clutch assembly in the event of a tip-over is at all important to you, go get a one of the SpeedyMoto covers that are open yet completely cover and protect plate/springs. Bullet proof, quality stuff.:)

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts