Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my oil, in my 2007 Multistrada 1100 when I pulled the magnetic plug to inspect it I found some shiny bits on the plug, but not much black ferrous sludge.

I'm honestly scared.
This bike is my daily and I do not own a car, for that reason I hope that maybe the wisdom of all the duc owners here can tell me something.

It's silver in color and magnetic, one piece was in a tight curl like it was ejected from a lathe. They are all very small (if they were in my shoe I wouldn't notice) but are strong and crumbly.

Could they be shavings from my last filter?
Is this normal?

I've never owned anything with a magnet catch on it so this is a first for me.

Best regards, and many thanks
-Nate

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the filter I've been using, I like it because of the nut on the end, besides that it's a standard filter. The "racing" aspect of this filter is just that it has that nut to lock wire the filter in a race environment. So I've read.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
That is a wet clutch bike, right? If so, I don't think that is an unusual amount for a bike with a few thousand miles on that oil especially in traffic. I don't see a problem, magnet is doing its job.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I would call that "sweet" (y)
I've rebuilt engines as in hone/rings.new bearings etc. scrubbed everything meticulously.
First oil change there was heaps of stuff like that on the plug.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi Great dog
What did the drain pan look like?
I clean my drain pan out completely before draining the oil. then let the drained oil settle before pouring off most of the oil and inspect the last couple of mm of oil left for fragments, shaving, sludge and what ever else is in there.
Only ferrous metals go to they magnet, we need to know about all te wear metals and damage metals.

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
if you are really skeered rip apart the pretty filter and see what lurks in the oil filter element...
I wouldn't gets too excited unless the next oil change gets noticeably worse.
I see you may be biting your finger nails, is that from worring about the metal bits...
Have fun!

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,477 Posts
I think it looks fine. And BTW, the Hiflofiltro filters are very good. They're the only ones I use anymore.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have a shop where I work on customer bikes everyday--that amount of metal on the drain plug is absolutly normal & nothing to worry about. -as for opinions on oil filters they are like assholes everybody has one. I personally use nothing but OEM oil filters, having a shop & working on customer bikes that keeps me out of trouble if something happens

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Great dog
What did the drain pan look like?
I clean my drain pan out completely before draining the oil. then let the drained oil settle before pouring off most of the oil and inspect the last couple of mm of oil left for fragments, shaving, sludge and what ever else is in there.
Only ferrous metals go to they magnet, we need to know about all te wear metals and damage metals.
Checked the pan, nothing too crazy in there

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you are really skeered rip apart the pretty filter and see what lurks in the oil filter element...
I wouldn't gets too excited unless the next oil change gets noticeably worse.
I see you may be biting your finger nails, is that from worring about the metal bits...
Have fun!
I'm gonna tear this filter open just to be sure

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a shop where I work on customer bikes everyday--that amount of metal on the drain plug is absolutly normal & nothing to worry about. -as for opinions on oil filters they are like assholes everybody has one. I personally use nothing but OEM oil filters, having a shop & working on customer bikes that keeps me out of trouble if something happens
I'm leaning to just trust y'all in saying that that amount of oil is normal thanks guys

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
You have left out some important details such as miles on the engine and miles you have owned the bike. Also any work done since the last oil change. If that was the first oil change I would say you should expect MORE metal and your bike has not yet broken in.

If it is a 20,000 mile motor I would say that is a thing to take note of but not to panic just yet. Steel ends up on the magnet so any floating around in the oil ends up there but may also get stuck in pockets in the cases and takes a long time to get out and find the magnet.

Simply pay attention to new vibration in the bike ,bars, foot pegs. Then do another oil drop after say 500-1000 miles, clean a pan and just check the magnet for a increasing amount of metal. If the same or better then put the oil back in and run it another couple thousand miles.

I suspect this will turn out to be normal but it is up to you to verify. I have had 2 motors this year with bad main bearings and the customers both had no idea even though all the signs were there. I have no idea how as the bikes should have stopped running considering the internal damage, but if you do not know what normal is......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts