Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did an oil change on my 2011 796 last night, it is my third oil change (dealer did the first @650 miles, I did the second around 1250 miles) and then this oil change @ 2100 miles last night.

When I pulled out the drain plug this small piece of metal was on it, it is very thin (like foil thin), but as you can see from the pictures it is what I consider a large piece.

My question is this something I should be concerned with? I never had this on any of my other bikes (that I can remember anyway, age sucks). I am wondering if I should go talk to the dealer about this or is it something that I should not be concerned about.

What is your opinion?

Thanks for the help

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
i would be worried but i probably shouldn't be after all it is at the bottom and now it's out. :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
The engine shares the oil with the transmission. New transmissions will have pieces like that break off and simply fall to the bottom.

Unless there's a bunch of pieces like that in the oil, I wouldn't worry. My other new bike had the same little chunks in the new oil.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you also checked for any debris on your oil screen?
No I did not pull the screen this time, last time i changed the oil it was fine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stopped by the service dept of my dealer on my lunch break, they tell me not to worry about it, that they find stuff like this all the time on Duc's.

WTF is up with that? Sure does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside!

I was told unless I see a bunch of pieces like that not to worry.

·
Registered
965 Posts
It may not be a help, but I bought a 76 Yamaha XT 500 that was a couple years old with 300 miles on it. I brought it home and changed the oil and a bunch of aluminum machining drill chips came out with the oil. At first I panicked. I picked up some Marvel mystery oil to flush out the cases, and a bit more chips came out. Then I poured in my new oil in and proceeded to ride the bike for six more years with no problems at all, or chips.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
If you've ever seen aluminum being machined, you'd know from where... chips and machining oil everywhere. The finished part is always then sent to a cleaning operation where the aluminum chips are flushed out of all the tiny crevices. But there's ALWAYS some particles left in complex shapes with internal oil and water passages such as an engine casing. That's why you have a oil screen for big particles AND an oil filter for small ones.

In industrial chemical processing and power generation facilities, one of the steps taken during startup operations is to place temporary screens in piping to catch any loose material left-over from manufacturing operations to avoid damaging any sensitive or precision components.

Some engine manufacturers even run their engines on a dyno first using an external oil supply and filter system to help ensure that most of these particles are removed before shipping and/or installation.

So seeing particles on your oil screen should be EXPECTED for the first few oil changes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would have expected to see it sooner than 2k miles(and third oil change), but it is what it is. Glad I changed the oil when I did.

·
Registered
965 Posts
This wasn’t dust or small particles. The chips were curled drill chips, just broken up. I have made a lot of my own from 35+ years in aerospace manufacturing as toolmaker. I suspected that they were left behind as if the cases were missed in cleaning prior to assembly.

·
Registered
757 Posts
at this point in time there's really not much you can do but to look for more on the oil screen in the next few changes. you wouldn't have seen this if it went into the oil filter, the contents of which might freak some of us out. now I'm wondering if my service actually pulled & clean that oil screen out when i did my first oil change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts