Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always hunting down pictures of bikes as sources of inspiration. I found this one on the almighty interwebs while searching 900SS Track Bikes. I was able to chase down the for sale ad for this bike here in the forum, but no mention of the 2:1 exhaust in the description. Flat black megaphone ... oh hells yes. "But it's too loud for public roads" .... yea yea yea .... that's fixable.

I was able to figure out that the tail and fairing are 916 units all by my very self! (do I get a trophy?). Y'know, I could almost convince myself to go with that fairing ... almost ... it's at the ragged edge of ~too large~ for my tastes .... but it's a definite "maybe" ... it would take some work to mount it, but what doesn't take some work?

So anyway, the source of that exhaust eludes me. Is it something that was offered by a vendor at one time? Or is it a ~one off~? It's bad ass, no doubt about it, Jack!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I would say it is a one off homemade job, two into one with unequal length headers - probably no packing, straight through. Loud as fuc if there is no baffle in the end.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be a home made job. Still love the look ... in fact, that's what I like about the look!! Got that privateer thing going on.

Just a bit of trivia ... the two bends appear to sum up to about 360 degrees (one looks like a 270, the other a 90). The front cylinder appears to have one 45 and one 90 (135 degrees total).

A rule of thumb that I've heard many times over the years about exhaust systems is that every 90 degrees of bend is about equal to 1 foot of length when it comes to back pressure. That said ....

Front bends (135 degrees) = 1.5 feet of additional length.
Rear bends (360 degrees) = 4 feet of additional length.

The straight length of the front appears to be roughly 2.5 feet (measured up to the collector).
The straight length of the rear appears to be roughly 1.0 foot (measured up to the collector).

Summed (straight tubing plus bends):
Front = roughly 4.0 feet of calculated overall length.
Rear = roughly 5.0 feet of calculated overall length.

So the sum difference between the front and rear pipes is roughly 1.0 foot. Not as much as it would first appear.

·
Registered
542 Posts

This was the mark one version of my tuned length 2-1 exhaust pipe with a off the shelf Spark muffler. Was load but awesome performance gain over the whole rev range. I did a mk2 version that was tucked up out of the way a bit better where it comes out under the gearshift. Length of primary pipes was 1030mm before the merge (45mm pipe into 65mm).

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Member *Combi, You are one talented and skilled sonofabitch! Absolutely gorgeous system. Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you want a 2-1, I suggest talking with Randy at Stradafab.

View attachment 976818
Excellent system ... TIG welded sectional design ... looks very costly ... but nonetheless excellent.

The silver/blue of the FE always strikes me. Beautiful.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice system, but at $2100, it would double the value of my bike...
... way out of my pay grade as well.

Meh ... I may just rattle can some heat paint (matte black) the GPR INOX stingers that I bought and call it done. If I don't like it, simple enough to remove the paint from the stainless slip-ons. We'll see how they look once I mount them up ....

... my cat "CooCoo" approves ..... I'm pretty sure those "GPR" appliques are coming off, they're just on there with adhesive backing, not riveted ir anything drastic.

Already talked it over with my wife ... she likes the Kaemna mini fairing halves as much as I do ... the Superlight tail will come later on down the road ... maybe Summer of 2020.....

Black wheels to set the tone as well. Should look pretty bitchin ......

·
Registered
458 Posts
you could always send the system you have to Jet Hot and have it ceramic coated --The full system on my 91 907ie is ceramic coated and always looks good. They can do the original silver or they can do black as well--I would suggest silver-The guys at Jet Hot said that the Silver lasts longer where the black tends to fade.with the silver I know clean it every 6 months or so with Mothers polish and it looks great many years later

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
you could always send the system you have to Jet Hot and have it ceramic coated --The full system on my 91 907ie is ceramic coated and always looks good. They can do the original silver or they can do black as well--I would suggest silver-The guys at Jet Hot said that the Silver lasts longer where the black tends to fade.with the silver I know clean it every 6 months or so with Mothers polish and it looks great many years later
It's a combination of stainless steel and Inconel ... why would it need to be ceramic coated in silver?

If I decide on matte black, I'll just go with rattle can heat paint ... it's stupid-simple to touch up, and a lot less costly than sending it off to have it ceramic coated.

I feel the same way about powder coating wheels. Not necessary, and FAR too costly to have repaired when (not ~if~ .. but ~when~) it chips or becomes scratched.

Some things should be approached more simply. Wheels and exhausts are two of those things.

It's all about opinions anyhow ... one man's candy is another man's crap.

I've always preferred simple ... my 2nd streetbike was a brand new 1984 HD XLX61 (1000cc) Sportster ... cast aluminum, flat black, very little buffed aluminum, and teeny tiny bits of chrome. I adored that bike. It's just my thing.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The main reason I suggest the ceramic coating is that it lasts for a long time--I had the exhause pipes coated on my 2001 BMW R1100S in 2001--110K l& 19 years later they still look great, I never have to touch them up all I do is clean them with mothers once a year lol---for me it's easy and It will last

1 - 12 of 12 Posts