Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I jumped directly onto the starter motor from a good battery using heavy jumpers designed to jumpstart trucks in the Arctic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS_JEB7R5eY
No luck getting any kind of starting speed as you can see in the video, the bike barely turns over. I can hear the pistons moving air as the bike attempts to turn over, so I dont think it is the sprag clutch when trying to start it normally.

Now that to me would indicate a replacement starter motor is required???:confused:

SF

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Main fuse was not blown, nor was any other fuses blown.

Everything turns on and cycles through whatever it is supposed to do at startup. I did this direct jump in order to rule out resistance in the starter wires and cables. It is the same either way you try to get hte starter motor to engage.

Bike barely turns over as you can see in the video

SF

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've never seen a starter go bad and still turn the vehicle over. The way it cranking sounded like weak battery, but you said it was definitely a good battery. Hare you taken it off and spun it up to see how well it spins? With the starter off the bike you should be able to freely spin the starting gear. There could be the possibility that something has bound up in the starter but it sounds like you're going to need to take it off and do some testing to know for sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts