Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody newbie to this site but not to motorcycles. Been riding for the last 5 years till my last ride got stolen, been off the saddle for a year now and lookin to get something unique. Heard so many horror stories about Ducs and there maintenance but always from people who didn't own 1. I read alot of peoples threads on hear and have come to the conclusion that a Ducati is just a machine that once studied and learned about can be worked on. So here I am looking to purchase this Duc
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161324
but I would like real Ducati owners inputs as to wether this Duc is worth the price and what things I should be looking out for. Thanks for any replies and I hope to become part of this Italian based family soon!

·
Registered
572 Posts
At 6000 miles, this bike will need a 6000 miles service.
Nevertheless, i'd tend to say it's a good deal....especially if you like the BREIL replica stickers.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well Ducati ....Its not your daily Japanese bike....You do run it to problems but its a machine...If you want one you have to commit to one..Just remember 5 years from now my Duc is a Duc...You have to ride one to understand it....It wont out horsepower a GSXR,CBR,R1 or ZX. But it will ride and lean like youve never done before. It will accelerate out of corners earlier and put a grin on your face. When you think of Sports car you think of Ferrari....When you think of Sport Bikes you know what to think of.......I'll leave that to YOU....YOU DECIDE (but its an expensive decision compared to a japanese bike....

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mark_mtb said:
Well Ducati ....Its not your daily Japanese bike....You do run it to problems but its a machine...If you want one you have to commit to one..Just remember 5 years from now my Duc is a Duc...You have to ride one to understand it....It wont out horsepower a GSXR,CBR,R1 or ZX. But it will ride and lean like youve never done before. It will accelerate out of corners earlier and put a grin on your face. When you think of Sports car you think of Ferrari....When you think of Sport Bikes you know what to think of.......I'll leave that to YOU....YOU DECIDE (but its an expensive decision compared to a japanese bike....
From what I've read I understand its underpowered from the inline 4's but power is not what I'm looking for. I thought the 749 was the base model, the 749 dark, 749 S, and then 749 R why downgrade to the base model? How much is the 6k service run and what do they change/adjust? Isn't everything beautiful expensive anyway?

·
Registered
128 Posts
The Dark is the base model...it goes 749 Dark, 749, 749S and 749R

·
Registered
128 Posts
look at DUCATI.com and youll find out !!!!! as far as servicing depends on your local dealer...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looked up the models at Ducati.com and unless I'm missing something and the options haven't changed too much from 04 to 06, the only diffrence between the Dark and the base is the base has a better front forks? I'm an average canyon/track rider will I notice the diffrence? What's the ballpark price for 6k service?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
on the street theres very little riding diff between the dark-749 -749s.if its the bike that floats your boat ,go for it as the price seems fair.service @ 6000 will be approx 700-800,no doubt it will need tires too by then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts