Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Sooner or later seals leak. Replacing it is not hard but does require some special tools and some mechanical experience.

But that’s not a bad leak. Before doing anything try the old milk carton fix trick.

That outer seal is just a dust scraper. Take a screw driver and carefully pry it loose and slide it down out of the way. Then take a milk carton and cut a piece about 4” long and 2” wide. Carefully slide it up between the seal and fork leg and work it around and up and down. Sometimes just a piece of dirt gets in the seal and causes the leak. If you’re lucky this will fix it. Nothing to loose and really does help sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip

just did this milk carton trick and it started to
Leak way more until I removed the carton
Let’s wait and see If it works.
How do I know if the oil level is ok ?
What oil does it take ?

If I was to replace the seal is this a Ducati part or Ohlin part?
And update ( better seal)?

thanks guys

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
If it didn’t leave a puddle you didn’t loose enough to worry about.

I think SKF green seals are the best out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced the seal with a Suzuki one.
for the oil I was told by Ohlins 170mm from top no spring or spacer.I used an old spray bottle , cut the tube to 170mm and sprayed into a bottle.
can and one tell me how to reset the fork settings?
thanks

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
You should do both sides at the same time. Wheel is off, you have half a quart of oil for doing it, bought a pair of seals, and it will leak soon anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts