Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 998's pinch bolts look like shit. I just want a standard new set. dont need titanium. Locally (OSH) I bought these black allen head bolts, added a lock washer, and then drilled them for safety wire. Can anyone tell me if there is any reason why I should use flange bolts? I think this is safer way to go?

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

Attachments

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
I think this is safer way to go?
They appear to be a standard, high-carbon steel that will be very susceptible to corrosion and will rust in a heartbeat. Additionally, you run a much higher chance of having galvanic corrosion between the aluminum and the steel, which could end up as stripped threads in the fork bottoms the next time they are loosened. To avoid the galvanic corrosion, use a decent amount of anti-seize on them, ar at least some grease. To avoid rusting of the socket heads, either get them plated or paint them.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I do not know exactly what the grade steel of those black ones are but FYI the black still shows rust really fast. Most ACE hardware stores carry those bolts in stainless steel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, so if i get stainless steel i am good to go?

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
ok, so if i get stainless steel i am good to go?
I would....and I'd still use anti-seize. The OEM bolts aren't or any great strength and at times I think they are made of cheap, low-grade, Taiwanese recylced wheel barrels by how easily they strip and deform. Their cadmium plating helps resist galvanic corrosion a lot better than carbon or stainless steel. I'd have to look at the tables, again, but I think stainless is less apt to have galvanic corrosion with aluminum than carbon steel, but it depends on the grade of stainless (302, 304, 316, etc). I replaced my rotor bolts with stainless on one of my bikes a while ago (the socket heads are taller than OEM and machined the speedo drive housing a little bit, though).

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Barrows, Terry. WheelBARROWS.

Cripes, the quality of written intercourse is declining.

Your fiend, ;)
Paul, what's funny is that I spelled it correct at first, it looked weird, so I spelled it the other way.....I blame the alcohol. It effects how things look. :D

Alcohol and things not quite looking correct because of it is why my GPA with my first attempt at an undergrad degree was so low. Yeah, I blame the alcohol. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts