Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per Motostrano.com
The Ducati Evoluzione Clutch Slave cylinder 28.5mm offers 25% reduction in lever effort, the 30.5mm offers a 35% reduction in lever effort

Do you lose some clutch feel or performace with an aftermarket slave cyclinder?

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
The effort is reduced but the travel of your lever will need to be more so you'll probably need your lever at it's widest setting, the 30.5mm may cause you problems getting enough clutch plate separation so neutral may be tricky to find when at rest.

This will depend what master cylinder bore/ratio you have and the thickness of the clutch pack etc.

See this useful chart by Shazaam for more info;

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the graph, that thing is great! Do you use one.....I must be feeling my age but had is getting tired in traffic.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
We found the OBERON Clutch Slave Cylinder 29mm to be a very good comprimise for easy lever effort and finding neutral. We had the 30mm STM on our 1098 project bike. When we swapped it over to the Oberon, it was easier to find neutral. The lever effort felt the same.

I'll second that, I just put it on my 999R and is way better than the Evo I had on my 1098S.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Thanks for the graph, that thing is great! Do you use one.....I must be feeling my age but had is getting tired in traffic.
I have an Evoluzione (28.5mm, I think) which lightened the clutch somewhat.

I also have removed 2 springs from the clutch which gives a 33% reduction at no cost and I've not had any clutch slippage problems.

With the two above mods my clutch is very light.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
You will be fine if you swap out the slave cylinder.

The most important thing is to make sure that you bleed the clutch line well. Many clutch problems can be resolved with careful bleeding.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i just did the quick -2 spring mod..

clutch is perfect now,

my friend who aslo ride Ducati. did this on both his 998 and his 1198. its a fantastic trick.

its rides perfectly i see no reason personaly to swap out slaves...

but hey thats just me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The effort is reduced but the travel of your lever will need to be more so you'll probably need your lever at it's widest setting, the 30.5mm may cause you problems getting enough clutch plate separation so neutral may be tricky to find when at rest.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49299&d=1244650011[/ig][/QUOTE]

I agree with this 100%. I have the Evoluzione on my 998 and if I dont have the lever set at the highest setting it makes finding neutral a major pain in the butt.
Using the stock slave may be heavy but ,IMO, the added travel needed in the lever using the aftermarket slave is worse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts