Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put on my first set of tires on my bike. (Yes, it came with a set but I'm talking about my first replacement set!) I went from Pilot Powers (very good tire) and am now trying Metzler M3. Just went for a break-in ride today, I like to go down then up Lookout Mountain (near Golden, CO). Anyway, everytime I do this I remember how good new tires feel. Totally linear and responsive, no fighting squared off tires I suppose is what that is about.

Hope to put the bike on a track in Sept with the new tires, if they last that long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
A good lube job might be better :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,214 Posts
Nope!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
My 749 is getting fitted with it's first set of replacements as I type this being the M3's.

I've heard rave reviews about the M3's and was somewhat reluctant to switch over from the Michelin's so I look forward to getting the bike back soon.

BTW, how many km (or miles) is recommended to break in new tyres and what is the best way to do this?

The first set had an easy time whilst the bike was being run in. This is the first bike I've had long enough to have to replace the original OEM tyres so apologies if this is a silly question.

Cheers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AK749 said:
BTW, how many km (or miles) is recommended to break in new tyres and what is the best way to do this?Cheers
"They" generally quote 50 miles or 100 miles or something like that. I like to just go out on my favorite (very) twisty road and gradually pick up speed so I'm leaning more and getting the tires closer to their edges. For me that takes about 9 miles to get the chicken strip down to about 2 cm. That was yesterday. Today I've got a long ride on another twisty road (Peak to Peak Hwy) and I'll finish the job off.

It's hard work but somebody's got to do it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
mbohn said:
It's hard work but somebody's got to do it!
Getting new tyres specifically for a big ride next week and was planning to pick it up the morning prior. My lovely wife has given me my first 'overnight' leave pass with the 749 so this means that I will need to take it easy for the first 100km or so.

The guys at my local dealer where nice enough to pick up my bike from home and ride it into the workshop so I may have to convince them to run it back via the mountains!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,214 Posts
AK749 said:
The guys at my local dealer where nice enough to pick up my bike from home and ride it into the workshop so I may have to convince them to run it back via the mountains!

You're a better man than me!!! Brave too!! (actually, what I mean is...F&#K THAT!!!)

As for the tires, I'm pretty sure (not positive though) that the whole break in period for tires is based off heat, not miles. They tell you 50-100 miles cause as a general rule, that's straight down the blvd or through the Wall Mart parking lot, not 45* of bank through turn 2. Not going to build up as much heat as you would scrubbing them in properly on a track or good road. I had a set of brand new Pilot Powers with about 10 feet on them when I hit the track. Three laps = 12 miles and I started hammering them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Thanks for your response to what should be a no brainer question.

With respect to the guys picking up my bike, my arm was in a sling so there was no way that I was going to be able to ride it myself so in one way, they where doing me a favour. They can take my bike and work on it whilst I worry about getting better.

Leg one of our overnight trip commences on The Old Pacific Highway running up into what we call a 'mountain' in Sydney :)

I'll be sure to get the temp up on the tyres in this initial 50km.

Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
I hear y'all have the new Pirelli Corsa 3 tyres in the USA. Anyone got any reports on these? I'm curious if the dual compound does improve wear but keep the grip? There not out in Australia for another couple of months!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Aussie748 said:
I hear y'all have the new Pirelli Corsa 3 tyres in the USA. Anyone got any reports on these? I'm curious if the dual compound does improve wear but keep the grip? There not out in Australia for another couple of months!
I'm also curious about the Diablo Corsa 3s. And Met M3s.

I'm happy with my Pilot sports, but don't love them.

Is there a site like tirerack.com for motorcycle tyres? I like the wear and rating indexs and the way you can compare.

ps. I hated bridgestones for year... so dont mention them. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,108 Posts
The Pilot sports suuuuuuuuck IMO. the pilot powers are an improvment but the pilot race............ well now thats a sweet tire. Road or track. 3000 miles and their ragged for street riding. Probably 1500 miles if you ride the canyons. My friend uses up the old pirelli diablo corsas in 300 - 500 miles on his old Zuki TL and can get 1500 out of the pilot race. JMO, and sorry for the hijack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
I just got a set of Corsa III, waiting to put it on for the track but that wont be for a bit. I've always loved the Corsa and since the Corsa III promise the grip of corsa with long tread wear due to the multi compound carcass.

Bugatti said:
I'm also curious about the Diablo Corsa 3s. And Met M3s.

I'm happy with my Pilot sports, but don't love them.

Is there a site like tirerack.com for motorcycle tyres? I like the wear and rating indexs and the way you can compare.

ps. I hated bridgestones for year... so dont mention them. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
AzCamel said:
I just got a set of Corsa III, waiting to put it on for the track but that wont be for a bit. I've always loved the Corsa and since the Corsa III promise the grip of corsa with long tread wear due to the multi compound carcass.

Mine are supposed to be in the mail. Won't know how they are for awhile yet.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top