Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is a 2014 Monster 1200 base model. It has 3 times had a problem where the check engine light came on and the engine would not rev past 4,000. The first time my Indy shop got it and changed the TPS, and also said they found a loose wire. That was more than 1.5 years ago. Then about 3 months ago the problem came back. I pulled fuses on the right side, put them back, and it went away. Recently it came back but pulling fuses did not fix it. Needed a tire too, so it went back to the shop. When I wen to leave for the shop, it was fine no engine light, no problem revving. Shop says it seems fine, can't find a problem. But they say there is an ECU reflash that is supposed to solve it, but of course I have to go to a dealer. Put in a call to the closest dealer to see what they say.

Meanwhile does anyone know about this issue or have info? Bike has about 13,500 miles, 11,000 of which I have done in the last 2 years since I got it.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had a little on line chat with someone at the local dealer last week. They said someone from service would contact me. That never happened. Called on phone today and spoke to service dept. He says their computer updates software every time the bike is plugged into it. $30 to shut off the engine light, and go from there. See what the computer says, if it shows any problems. So, guess I have no choice but to go to the dealer. At least he says service is open Sunday. Surprise.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
of course you have to go to the dealer to have the ecu file updated with the ducati software. what other choice do you think you'd have?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
of course you have to go to the dealer to have the ecu file updated with the ducati software. what other choice do you think you'd have?
Clearly they have us by the short hairs here.
I did not realize software updates came along "all the time".
I guess I should have known.
In some ways I miss the days of analog machines. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
these days, because they can flash ecu in dealerships, the "software update" is the fashion of the times. sometimes they introduce issues that then need to be fixed by another. we had the capacity to do bmw much earlier than others, and owners would hear about an update and come in and demand it. then some would come back and complain and we'd say "you can't go back" because it's a factory controlled procedure. and they'd throw a hissy fit and go away and be back next time they heard hint of an update.

back when i was working in the bmw system (before 2009) some of the bmw cars would have more than 60 individual "contronits" they used to call them (control units), and a full update could take a few hours.

the actual flashing part is like me flashing someone's ecu with a different file, but because it's all done via the factory diagnostic tool, all the files used come on a format that only their tool will work with and you can't load other files of your own into it, etc.

just how it is. swings and roundabouts.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ducati is far from alone in trying to force customers to come to them for service, rather than some Indy shop or gasp, DIY.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer service people were pretty easy to deal with. They were as quick as I could expect, and if they had the part in stock I would probably be all fixed up by now. Hooked bike to computer, reset oil service light, and updated software. Told me it needed a fuel injection update, you are good to go. Was going to go for a ride, got 2 - 3 miles and engine light came on, revs don't go past 4,000. So, I went right back. They "reset the parameters" and the tech went for a test ride. I guess lucky for me it did the same thing for him, which I figured was the case when he rolled past me and right back into the shop upon return.

Short story long they tested more and say it needs a throttle control unit. The guy said the computer showed one in stock but checking did not find one. So it's on order. From Italy. A $290 value plus about $100 for the install.

Now I'm wondering how an Indy shop could diagnose things like this with certainty without the Ducati equipment and software. Maybe this has been the problem all along. An expensive pita, I hope this solves the problem.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
You can reset your "Engine Light" yourself. I have done it even when the bike's RPM's went into "Safe Mode". You'll need the Melcodiag software here: http://jpdiag.akress.com/

I've further covered the topic here:
Moreover, any shop with a Texa Diagnostic unit can upload the ECU's firmware update.
But that's a $3000 investment.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know if my Indy shop has that or not. Been going there at least 15 years. They work on all kinds of stuff, not just Ducati. I thought Ducati kept some of their software and hardware proprietary and would not share with non dealers?

Thanks for the link. I will have to review that. Hopefully they get it fixed for good and I can stick to what I like. Riding.
I think this dealer has only had Ducati for a couple months. I may have to go there in the future if they work out and take good care of my bike on this issue. Closer to home than the Indy shop too.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
My Ducati tech just bought a Texa which is licensed with Ducati among other manufacturers.
If fact, the unit used by all Ducati dealers are made by Texa.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, I had no idea there were so many electronic tools like that.

Well beyond what most people need or know how to use. :)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Haha, I had no idea there were so many electronic tools like that.
Well beyond what most people need or know how to use. :)
I know.
At least it's good to know that we mortals can reset the CE light ourselves if need be.
What we should be able to do (like most cars) is reset the oil light.
There's got to be a solution to this simple issue.
I have faith that a fix will be found.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes. You should be able to get an inexpensive device, like an OBD reader for cars, and it should be able to shut off service lights and such at a minimum.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got my part in and dealer says it is fixed. Work order says they got a throttle control, and labor was acceleration position sensor install. I will have to get a ride other than home from the shop in asap, but it is good to have it back in my garage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts