Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding around an abandoned park the other night was a bit difficult. When I went into a steep turn the low beams only lit up immediately around me. Kept switching between low and hi.

Seems that an easy solution would be to have them both set up to stay on at the same time. Is there a harness for this? Can our bikes handle that much wattage? Has this been done?

I'd like to make it so that when I turn on my high beams that my low beams remain illuminated.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Low wattage isn't the issue, they share a fuse and probably would blow it if run simultaneously. You could split them but that seems like overkill. Install a set of Aux LEDs. you can get a very bright set at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This works on a '10-'12 and probably on a '13-'14 as well.
The only electrical component you need is a diode (the black piece on the second picture on the webpage).

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've been thinking about doing this, but the author doesn't give any information on the diode (specs, direction, etc.). Any ideas what's needed?

I did a similar mod on my ST3s. There was not diode required on that one. Just had to connect a couple of wires with one of those snap on connectors. It's worked without issue for several years.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"NB: There is an electronics component soldered between the yellow/white wire and the red wire without which dip/lo and main/hi beams will remain on together all the time regardless of the hi/lo beam selector switch position! 😉"

I agree, we need to know what to soldier into place for this to work properly. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Va Duc,

Could you do a short write up on how to do this? Where to plug the wires? How to make the correct wire.
I looked at the write up but I did not see a spec for the diode. Could you lead me to the specs for the correct one?
I just used a 1N4007 - fairly common diode that you can probably get from amazon / digikey / mouser / maybe local electronics hobby store? We have a bunch of them laying around work so I just went with that. Just be sure that the diode is pointed in the correct direction.

High beams ---->|---- low beams

if you go the other way around your highs will always be on

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'll have to see if I took enough detailed photos to remember what I did!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like some more information on exactly how to do this. The directions that I have found are a bit too vague. I'm not an electrical engineer and I would hate to screw up a very expensive motorcycle because I plugged something in backwards.

But this does seem like a very good idea. One worth checking out.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I did this earlier this week and it works great. I didn't take any pictures, but I think I can draw a schematic and give you some product data for the diode I used. I've got a busy weekend coming up, but I'll try to get to it today or tomorrow.

Reactions: Red5

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm not an electrical engineer, so proceed at your own risk, but this worked for me. The information I'm providing here is in addition to the instructions at the link in post #3. Wire colors for the jumpers in the diagram below correspond to those instructions as well.

One item to note, you'll need to use 3/16" male and female spade type wire connectors. The more typical 1/4" connectors are too big to plug into the relay and the wiring loom. These are a little harder to find, but I was able to soure mine at O'Reilly's Auto Parts.

I used a 12V, 5W diode (picture below). I'm not sure this is the right or best diode for this purpose, but I had a couple laying around so that's what I used. Most diodes will have a stripe on one end. This needs to go toward the low beam female connector (relay, see diagram).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Red5, the 1N5349B Zener Diode might work, but if you have a 1N4007 diode in your kit, I'd use that. The Zener will conduct the wrong way if a potential greater than 12 volts is encountered. The 1N4007 won't conduct the wrong way until it hits 1,000 volts which should be never unless you're riding in a lightning storm :LOL:

I haven't had time to get any photos of my setup (no slowing down for covid here!), but twerth's diagram should be money!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Red5, the 1N5349B Zener Diode might work, but if you have a 1N4007 diode in your kit, I'd use that. The Zener will conduct the wrong way if a potential greater than 12 volts is encountered. The 1N4007 won't conduct the wrong way until it hits 1,000 volts which should be never unless you're riding in a lightning storm :LOL:

I haven't had time to get any photos of my setup (no slowing down for covid here!), but twerth's diagram should be money!
Absolutely correct information here. (y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts