Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something totally bolt-in ... maybe replaces the stock lens as well as the element? Y'know, something that would not require cutting out or otherwise changing the shape of the headlight holes to install? I don't mind if it would require upgrading the voltage reg and/or heavier wiring from the alternator (and all of that jazz). Maybe one headlight for 55 watt use, and perhaps the other headlight a solid 100 watt "long shot beam" to shore up the 55 watter? Or a pair of dual 55/100 watters? Or ... ????

Or is the stock headlight system nicely sufficient for completely un-lighted highways? I would need to be unable to outrun the headlights (at let's say) at least 80mph on a dark as pitch night, riding on totally unlighted highways.

I'm just doing some research for a possible project that I may undertake in about a year or so. Or not ... depending on the information I gather up.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
A number of years ago, aftermarket HID conversions were being used. Problem was where to mount the ballast unit required. There is so little room anywhere, it becomes unsightly at best.

Just found this - looks killer:

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I fitted a 35w HID to the low beam, combined with a 100w in the high beam - rewired using relays to switch directly from the battery rather than the switch and it works very well - far better than the original setup. I used the 100w so as to have a 'quicker' on than a HID for flashing purposes although I think modern HIDs are much better now so maybe a HID high beam would be OK?

As for the ballast for the HID, it is very small, slim unit and fits between the fairing and headlight assembly. As the low beam light is a reflector unit the beam cutoff is perfect, unlike some HID conversions that 'scatter'...

·
Premium Member
8,749 Posts
The stock headlight on my 916 was so bad I couldn't ride it on twisty roads at night, they basically suck. Voltage or amp limits were restrictive on the older machines, the single phase set up models. I didn't convert or upgrade since I sold the bike before doing that, but I upgraded to HID on my Buell 1125CR and it was an amazing improvement. Plug and play on that bike and the wiring and ballast parts were small, but I can't recall how much space the 916 had up front to answer your question on spacing. I just wanted to chime in to highly suggest you make the conversion before you do any darker roadway night driving. I don't know about LEDs and 916s, I wish there were more people to help you out with your questions, I'm sure someone around here has done the upgrade. It blows me away Ducati sold those bikes with such poor headlight performance.

I started looking around at other threads and found a 916 for sale and the owner stated the bike had HID headlights. Don't know if it came with the bike when he bought it or he installed them. The point is they can be installed. Maybe you can PM him for details. The ad is in the classified section.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stock headlight on my 916 was so bad I couldn't ride it on twisty roads at night, they basically suck....
Thanks so much for the response. I'm thinking about installing a 916 quarter fairing on my '96 900CR. It's just ~thinking~ for now, but before I put any more ~thinkings~ into the notion I wanted to find out if the headlights were any good. I'm aware the retrofit would take some welding and fabrication on the fairing brace to make it all work, I'm well equipped to deal with that though. If I end up doing the retrofit of the 916 1/4 fairing to my bike it wouldn't happen for at least a year, perhaps more. Money is an issue, I just found out the other day that a new prescription I'm going on will cost me about $300+ per month out of pocket, so any ambitions regarding bike upgrades are now on the slow train. There's other stuff that takes priority over ~looks~, such as electrical/charging system/ignition system upgrades before any pretty-makers are looked after.

Anyhow, thanks for the info. The 916 fairing on a 900SS/CR looks really great, but if the headlights are a bitch to deal with I'll more than likely stick with the stock 900SS/CR 1/4 fairing and add the Kaemna "Mini Fairing" side panels. I've read that the stock SS/CR headlight can be replaced with a Hella H4 replacement unit (reflector, bulb-set, lens, and all) with just a bit of re-fit work. 35 years ago I installed a Hella H4 setup in my Harley Sportster ... it fit right in the stock bucket, no muss no fuss. I used the H4 55/100 bulb and that rig worked really well out here in the Sonoran Desert highways. That said I'm fairly confident it would work ok in the stock SS fairing. And if I do that way I can just use the stock SS fairing until I can afford the Kaemna mini fairing later on since that fairing is only the two side halves attached to the stock SS center piece.

Pic #1 = the 916 1/4 fairing fitted to an SS. Pic #2 = the Kaemna "Mini Fairing" fitted to an SS. Just for kicks ....

·
Premium Member
8,749 Posts
I'm not a big fan of smaller fairings generally, but your design plan is awesome. The cylinder heads painted red in the 900 example ties everything together and highlight the cool fins of the air-cooled powerplant.

·
Registered
194 Posts
HID kit is the way to go.
Keeps all the outward aesthetics the same, and gives you a head light that is actually a light.
The mounting is an issue as 916Duc mentioned there is very little room,but you can make it fit... it's just not pretty with the front windshield fairing off.

Sadly this is not plug and play and you do have to wire it.... however this is a pretty standard upgrade so if you dont want to do it or dont have the time, most shops can do this no issue.

I know if varies widely, but assume 150 for the full kit and 150 for the install.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks so much for the response. I'm thinking about installing a 916 quarter fairing on my '96 900CR. It's just ~thinking~ for now, but before I put any more ~thinkings~ into the notion I wanted to find out if the headlights were any good. I'm aware the retrofit would take some welding and fabrication on the fairing brace to make it all work, I'm well equipped to deal with that though. If I end up doing the retrofit of the 916 1/4 fairing to my bike it wouldn't happen for at least a year, perhaps more. Money is an issue, I just found out the other day that a new prescription I'm going on will cost me about $300+ per month out of pocket, so any ambitions regarding bike upgrades are now on the slow train. There's other stuff that takes priority over ~looks~, such as electrical/charging system/ignition system upgrades before any pretty-makers are looked after.

Anyhow, thanks for the info. The 916 fairing on a 900SS/CR looks really great, but if the headlights are a bitch to deal with I'll more than likely stick with the stock 900SS/CR 1/4 fairing and add the Kaemna "Mini Fairing" side panels. I've read that the stock SS/CR headlight can be replaced with a Hella H4 replacement unit (reflector, bulb-set, lens, and all) with just a bit of re-fit work. 35 years ago I installed a Hella H4 setup in my Harley Sportster ... it fit right in the stock bucket, no muss no fuss. I used the H4 55/100 bulb and that rig worked really well out here in the Sonoran Desert highways. That said I'm fairly confident it would work ok in the stock SS fairing. And if I do that way I can just use the stock SS fairing until I can afford the Kaemna mini fairing later on since that fairing is only the two side halves attached to the stock SS center piece.

Pic #1 = the 916 1/4 fairing fitted to an SS. Pic #2 = the Kaemna "Mini Fairing" fitted to an SS. Just for kicks ....

View attachment 977254 View attachment 977255
I like it! Very clean. Might be a thread jack, but where did you re-locate the regulator/rectifier?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Something totally bolt-in ... maybe replaces the stock lens as well as the element? Y'know, something that would not require cutting out or otherwise changing the shape of the headlight holes to install? I don't mind if it would require upgrading the voltage reg and/or heavier wiring from the alternator (and all of that jazz). Maybe one headlight for 55 watt use, and perhaps the other headlight a solid 100 watt "long shot beam" to shore up the 55 watter? Or a pair of dual 55/100 watters? Or ... ????

Or is the stock headlight system nicely sufficient for completely un-lighted highways? I would need to be unable to outrun the headlights (at let's say) at least 80mph on a dark as pitch night, riding on totally unlighted highways.

I'm just doing some research for a possible project that I may undertake in about a year or so. Or not ... depending on the information I gather up.

Thanks!!
Why not LED's? I'm considering upgrading to LED. Less heat, less current draw. The possible problem with HID is the refractions in the glass. They are not designed for HID.

·
Smut peddler
1,189 Posts
Why not LED's? I'm considering upgrading to LED. Less heat, less current draw. The possible problem with HID is the refractions in the glass. They are not designed for HID.
Agreed. LED is the way to go. HID is great, I did it on my hyper. But LED is greater-er. They're pretty much bulletproof at this point, and the best light on the market IMO.

PS- That SS with the quarter fairing is making me question my fleet. Goddamn is that sexy.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
70 Posts
WOW!!! Beautiful work! Still want to know where the dangly electrical bits were re-located. I really don't like the look of my regulator hanging below the engine in my 996. Kind of an afterthought design. Oops, where are we going to put this? Down here. No one will see it behind the fairings.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but....

...I really don't like the look of my regulator hanging below the engine in my 996. Kind of an afterthought design...
It was deliberate. They created an fresh air duct at the front of the fairing to cool it directly:

2019-12-20 10.45.13.jpg

The upgrade is to switch to a MOSFET R/R...doesn't heat up like the old shunt regulators. You can then position it wherever you want.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah, upgraded to Mosfet already, but I still don't see where else it could be positioned. Tight tolerances on the 996. No room in tail fairing.
In the case of the bikes shown in the photos with the brief fairings, I'm not seeing a battery or a r/r. Where are they?

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Yeah, upgraded to Mosfet already, but I still don't see where else it could be positioned. Tight tolerances on the 996. No room in tail fairing.
In the case of the bikes shown in the photos with the brief fairings, I'm not seeing a battery or a r/r. Where are they?
Aircooled Supersports and Monsters have the battery under the fuel tank, right behind the air box. The regulator is in front of the air box behind the steering stem.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Maybe OK if you live somewhere dry and never see rain or dirty roads but I can only imagine how caked in shit it would get otherwise...

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Maybe OK if you live somewhere dry and never see rain or dirty roads but I can only imagine how caked in shit it would get otherwise...
The OP lives in Arizona. It rains there like maybe 2 weeks out of an entire year.Speaking of.....he hasn't been active in the last couple of weeks.....is he just out riding or taking a time out? I know he was facing some medical issues and I hope he's doing well............sean

1 - 19 of 19 Posts