Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to see the humor in this, I really am!
Why are the fastener nuts for the + /- terminals on the battery designed in such a fashion that they are smaller than the slot they sit in and therefore flop out of position when one is trying, oh so very carefully, to hook the bike's leads onto them?
You all know exactly what I am referring to because, I have no doubt that we all will slip a battery on and off without removing that locked-in upper panel. If I end up having to go to that trouble over this then you can be sure that that locked-in fastener arm is getting the heave ho!

Seriously, what gives? Why have a nut that wont stay in position?:frown2:

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
What I do lately is use a small piece of foam under the nut, lightly forcing the nut to the top of the slot. Foam acts as a light spring. Then it's a piece of cake getting the bolt with all the wires to catch the thread on the nut.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
What I do lately is use a small piece of foam under the nut, lightly forcing the nut to the top of the slot. Foam acts as a light spring. Then it's a piece of cake getting the bolt with all the wires to catch the thread on the nut.
There it is. I learned this trick b/c Shorai ships w/ little foam pieces just for this purpose.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used a tear of cardboard to get it to stay. Just saying! :wink2:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
At last someone brave enough to speak the truth abvout how OEM makers hate home mechanics! Rise up Brothers !!

I use a manet which apears to work

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
There it is. I learned this trick b/c Shorai ships w/ little foam pieces just for this purpose.
Wow OEM foamies -- and I thought I was going to be a millionaire selling the little beasties on eBay !! ;-)

·
comrade moderator
26,775 Posts
Before Stick and his OEM Foamies, I have been known to squirt a bit of Silicone Seal behind the nuts when they are tight.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just bought a Westco battery and they include 2 fully threaded rectangular aluminum nuts that completely fill in the vertical height inside the terminal. Work great.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Before Stick and his OEM Foamies, I have been known to squirt a bit of Silicone Seal behind the nuts when they are tight.
Silicone behind the nuts - maybe solve the 'nads issue, too? ;-)

[DUCVET - I cut a piece of tubing and put it under the nut, tubing from a battery vent hose or small vacuum line works well.]

I can almost hear Frank Zappa singing, "Shrink Tubing with a hair drier?"

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I cut a piece of tubing and put it under the nut, tubing from a battery vent hose or small vacuum line works well.
+1

I started doing this in the late '80s when I worked in a shop. We always had extra vent tubes laying around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts